Affinity Photo iOS half price(£9.99) until 9th Dec

Great tip for someone - nice share

For £9.99 it’s a steal so now on my iPad pro

Bugger....had issues with Apple account and once wife was up to answer security questions I missed it by a few minutes :(

Bugger....had issues with Apple account and once wife was up to answer security questions I missed it by a few minutes :(

TBH I was up early this morning and had a play

So far I would say it is worth the £19.99 full price. I have PS/LR on my iPad as part of my Adobe CC subscription so the £9.99 was a bit of a punt. Impressed!

So far I would say it is worth the £19.99 full price. I have PS/LR on my iPad as part of my Adobe CC subscription so the £9.99 was a bit of a punt. Impressed!

I am planning to upgrade my body in the new year to one that will upload direct to the iPad, and had thought this would be worth a punt in advance. I will probably buy it later at the full price.

I am planning to upgrade my body in the new year to one that will upload direct to the iPad, and had thought this would be worth a punt in advance. I will probably buy it later at the full price.

I use Canon Connect on the iPad, very useful and quick transfer speed. (I also have both Toshiba FlashAir and Sony App, both very stable, again very stable apps (finally).

I will use the Xmas period to have a good workout with Affinity.

Easily worth full price IMO but a lot sweeter.. similar to you I have CC but I reckon I could easily ditch that as since getting an iPad Pro, Pencil and Keyboard I very rarely touch the Mac and Affinity is all I would need, in fact its too much for the basic edits I do.

Easily worth full price IMO but a lot sweeter.. similar to you I have CC but I reckon I could easily ditch that as since getting an iPad Pro, Pencil and Keyboard I very rarely touch the Mac and Affinity is all I would need, in fact its too much for the basic edits I do.

I have just had another hour on getting to know Affinity. I can see me ditching CC as I can see the potential already. The larger iPad is s bonus.

Steve

I recently used Affinity with an iPad pro 10.5 and CC for a trip to Chile.

Affinity works surprisingly well although the learning curve is steep and it has no DRM module so you are literally working on a single image per project but it is a good foil for what CC can't do yet (Panos, HDR).

Editing on a touchscreen is actually rather nice :)

I recently used Affinity with an iPad pro 10.5 and CC for a trip to Chile.

Affinity works surprisingly well although the learning curve is steep and it has no DRM module so you are literally working on a single image per project but it is a good foil for what CC can't do yet (Panos, HDR).

Editing on a touchscreen is actually rather nice :)

Dangerous! I've had Vodafone offering me a free iPad Pro 12.9 on my business account (with a £10 a month for a Sim)... Hearing that Affinity works well makes it more tempting!

Dangerous! I've had Vodafone offering me a free iPad Pro 12.9 on my business account (with a £10 a month for a Sim)... Hearing that Affinity works well makes it more tempting!

It does work very well and I think you need the power of the latest iPads or it would be rather sluggish (even then it struggles when stitching 7shot panos).

It does work very well and I think you need the power of the latest iPads or it would be rather sluggish (even then it struggles when stitching 7shot panos).

Have to agree.

My niece is sending me an Apple Pencil she has spare as she won one in a competition. Will see how helpful that will be with Affinity.

Well its time for me to make a decision on a tablet... torn between an iPad Pro 12.9 and a Surface Pro which is basically the same price once everything's added, how is everyone getting on with Affinity?

I am very happy wit Affinity on the iPad Pro - the larger screen is great.

I am still using CC on the mac but I can see that being replaced. For my editing needs I am finding Affinity on the iPad is an 80% first choice. The hidden benefit is the time I am editing is reduced as LR/CC encourages ‘over-editing’ in that I found myself iterating results.

I am very happy wit Affinity on the iPad Pro - the larger screen is great.

I am still using CC on the mac but I can see that being replaced. For my editing needs I am finding Affinity on the iPad is an 80% first choice. The hidden benefit is the time I am editing is reduced as LR/CC encourages ‘over-editing’ in that I found myself iterating results.

Thanks! I think I'm going to give it a whirl, I feel a Surface Pro would just end up competing with my laptop while the iPad Pro would fulfil most other needs (Work and Mobile Editing)

Thanks! I think I'm going to give it a whirl, I feel a Surface Pro would just end up competing with my laptop while the iPad Pro would fulfil most other needs (Work and Mobile Editing)

I am not wholly wedded to the Apple ethos but with the connected world of cameras and, in terms of the Canon Connect app improving the iOS experience I have moved to the mac family. The EOS M5 makes full use of the canon app and linking to icloud does give a one stop workflow with my iPad having a 3 Ireland unlimited 4G Data sim which works in the ‘at home’ roaming (incl the USA currently) it is easy for me to use affinity and send out results and feed my other cloud storage. I even felt confident with going to an iPhone too.

My partner has a Surface Pro 4 but she is a freelance IT/contract consultant and most of her clients want Windows created output. I have full Office 365 on the Mac mini which means the iOS MS Office apps are ‘full’ versions within the licence.

In essence the big IPad covers everything including Photo output to my Canon A3 and A4 photo printers. ( Pixma iP8750 and MG7550 both using the same 6 ink cartridges).

For older kit (EOS 5D ii and EOS 50D) they fave Toshiba Flashair wifi SD cards fitted in CF converters. The iZoS Toshiba app will transfer CR2 RAW files to. Finally the EOS750D connects and transfers video files to the iPad too.

So far the iPsd Pro 12.9” 256Gb has been up to the job. I went for 256Gb version ‘just in case’

LR/CC runs well on it too but affinity is running fine. Bit of a learning curve all the same.Steve

Well I’m typing this from my new iPad Pro!!! Went for the top end 512GB 12.9 WiFi & 4G one.... expensive but god is this thing good, the last iPad I had was the Air 2 and frankly this thing is just so much more than the iPad Air ever was, the Pencil is brilliant, I’ve spent an hour just colouring in tonight.... the Keyboard is fantastic and its helps that its almost as big as a proper laptop keyboard!!! I’ve had a quick blast with Lightroom and Affinity, Lightroom works as expected really but will take some getting used to Affinity!!!

I can see this becoming my main editing device as I don’t really do too much that I don’t think I can do here, hell I can see this becoming my main device for anything but the few PC games I play and maybe messing about with some of my Lightroom/Photoshop Filters... so far though so very good!!!

Well I’m typing this from my new iPad Pro!!! Went for the top end 512GB 12.9 WiFi & 4G one.... expensive but god is this thing good, the last iPad I had was the Air 2 and frankly this thing is just so much more than the iPad Air ever was, the Pencil is brilliant, I’ve spent an hour just colouring in tonight.... the Keyboard is fantastic and its helps that its almost as big as a proper laptop keyboard!!! I’ve had a quick blast with Lightroom and Affinity, Lightroom works as expected really but will take some getting used to Affinity!!!

I can see this becoming my main editing device as I don’t really do too much that I don’t think I can do here, hell I can see this becoming my main device for anything but the few PC games I play and maybe messing about with some of my Lightroom/Photoshop Filters... so far though so very good!!!

It really. Is good and a workhorse.

I have the Pencil but need to get going with it.

Never thought I would have gone with an iPad but the 12.9 is superb.

Quick one, does anyone use the SD Card adapter to import images onto the iPad?
Can't get mine to "see" any images in the "import" tab in Photo's even though I know they are there! Doing my head in!

Sorry but no

I use the wifi connection from EOS M5/750D via the Canon Connect iOS ap and Toshiba app for Flash Air cards from non wifi bodies (5D2/50D).

Never had problems with the Apple brand Lightning SD card connector

Last edited:
I find it can be a bit temperamental, I just pull the card out and put it back in again and sooner or later it works. Also is seems to happen with my Transcend cards more than others although this may just be coincidence.

I find it can be a bit temperamental, I just pull the card out and put it back in again and sooner or later it works. Also is seems to happen with my Transcend cards more than others although this may just be coincidence.

I messed around with it last night and I think it might be the card, Sandisk seems to work most of the time! Enjoying Affinity though, when I'm able to get my RAW files on it seems fine, editing 42mp A7riii and 45mp Nikon D850 files with ease!

I might pickup the Lightning to USB Kit too, might be easier just connecting the camera!

This is interesting! I’ve been looking for an excuse to ditch the MacBook. What’s your workflow on the iPad in terms of long term storage of high res images if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ve barely used my 2017 MacBook Pro since getting my iPad Pro 10.5” and now even less as I’ve got the keyboard cover.

I’m almost certainly going to sell the MacBook and just use iPad for daily use an my iMac for anything serious.

Affinity is great but its ‘workflow’ is pretty dire really so I am using Lightroom CC for most things and then Affinity for the odd thing that LR can’t do yet.

I tend to use the Apple USB adapter and plug my camera straight in to the iPad. As soon as I switch my camera on, the photos app with import opens up. It works really well.

Have any of you merged bracketed images on iPad? I’m trying to look for a way to do it but not sure which apps will let me do it?

I tend to use the Apple USB adapter and plug my camera straight in to the iPad. As soon as I switch my camera on, the photos app with import opens up. It works really well.

Have any of you merged bracketed images on iPad? I’m trying to look for a way to do it but not sure which apps will let me do it?

I think I'll be picking up one of those adaptors tommorrow!

Affinity can do this, it will merge HDR (which is one of the things I use it for) and also do stacks.

Affinity on iPad is insanely powerful for an iPad app, it really can do fantastic things. A bargain even at full price.

I have been watching a few YouTube videos on it this evening. It looks complex but I’m sure it’s ok once used to it.

Do you know if it can be done on Lightroom for iPad?

No it can't, this is one of the reasons I use Affinity (HDR and pano stitch). I expect LR mobile to catch up at some point though.

I have been watching a few YouTube videos on it this evening. It looks complex but I’m sure it’s ok once used to it.

The learning curve is big - I hardly use any of the features - but it can do loads of advanced things.

Affinity on iPad is insanely powerful for an iPad app, it really can do fantastic things. A bargain even at full price.

Have to agree

Still on a steep learning curve but the Mac Mini is rarely on lately.

I am musing on how and where Serif takes this app to.

With a decent DRM module (which apparently they are working on) we can wave bye-bye to Adobe.

Best £9.99 photography spend of the past 5 years.

For any who missed that bargain, the £19.99 full price is a steal.

Back