Affordable Flashgun (Canon fit)

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
Still very new to photography but one area that leaves me a bit frustrated is getting the lighting right. Can often be disappointed with the built in flash so think it might be worth investing in a flashgun.

Looking for something to fit a Canon 30d but a cheaper alternative than the Canon 430ex.

Would like to try to keep below the £100 mark and have been watching a couple of Nissins on ebay but I've noticed many seem to be sold by sellers located in Hong Kong so a bit dubious about them. Any other suggestions?

Yup,
I've not tried them on the camera yet as I bought them to use externally, but I'll give it a go and let you know.

Cheaper than Canon, yet very well built with all the ETTL

Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-1 around the £130 price range

Last edited:
Jessops 360AFD Digital Flashgun - £80 new around £50 2nd hand

i'll second the above as i have one
i'm not greatly in to flash photography but when i need it it has been very reliable and at £80 new is a good introductory starter flash
They come up often on here in the classifieds i picked mine up from here for £40 posted , in my opinion a great buy!

Good luck with whatever you choose

The Yongnuo YN-465 has eTTL/iTTL capabilities, and comes in at about 50 quid. I have the Nikon version and it's a nice bit of kit, excellent considering the price.

I've been using mine tonight. Perfectly good for a manual flash, slightly cheap feeling to it, but it works ok. Comes with a thin protective bag, plastic foot.
I always shoot flash with the camera in manual but it's fun to go back to the old days and go manual with the flash as well. Its quite good fun setting the flash levels then moving it slightly back and forward to get the lighting exact. Just like the old days with my really cheap film cameras.

For a tenner more the ettl version could be a bargain.

Last edited:
I have recently purchased a 2nd Sigma Super as i find it has nearly all the pros of the canon equivalent (excluding build quality) but without the cost. I can even trigger them wirelessly while keeping the ettl function using my 600d.

Back