Afghan - More Helicopters

Arkady,

It would appear some of the TP clan do not understand the extraordinary area you are in at the moment.

Can I just thank you for the great photos, keep your head down and if there is anything, anything I can send out, just holler!!

(y)

Tell you what, Butt, why don't you hop on a plane, come out and show me how it's done...no really...I'm all ears...

I seriously would Love to come over there and join you - but sadly 2 photographers from the image agency I use are already embedded in Afghanistan
and as I am past 50yrs old - somehow think they dont want unfit over 50's in the Military at the moment, or a 3rd Photog over there

In case you didn't know, deserts are exactly like shooting in the arctic - only with MORE sunlight!
I know because I've worked in both places...

I know exactly what shooting in a desert is like - as well as shooting amongst snow capped peaks'

I am not trying to pick a bun fight with you here - I have the utmost respect for servicemen who fight for there country

The point is that your first few shots have frozen rotors. and no image agency in the world would accept images such as those

you have posted a series of pictures on a public forum where critique is given and you appear to be getting all hot and bothered because I suggested that you use a shuttter speed much slower than the 1/1000 that you said used

your reply was that you could not get any lower than 1/1000 because the light was too bright or 'overpowering' to get any lower

Looking at the Kamov - I have to disagree and say that even excluding a ND Filter or Polariser you could of done a better job of the first two images

I have seen many many posts of yours in the past and you have posted many great images over the last few years - but IMHO you have not produced your usual high standard with the first two images in this set, and having the exif removed does not help anyone trying to give a useful critique

I wish you the very best of Luck out there and look forward to seeing many more pictures that you post, but please dont expect every one to say how wonderful every image is that you post, Too much backslapping goes on on photography forums and it does no one any good

my 2p
Chris

Fantastic shots in the most part, but I am inclined to agree with Mr Kicker; this is an open forum for critique; you can't expect to post pictures and then reap the adoration!

Keep the shots coming though, you have a great array of aircraft there to shoot (in the 'togging sense!)

All the best,

Cheesy

There were posted more in the spirit of 'ooh, look what kit is out here' than a 'please crit my images' sense...I was on the HLS doing another job when these came in so they're more 'happy-snap' than anything else...
Had I been there to specifically photograph helicopters then I would have taken more care in setting things up - talking with the aircrew and arranging them to hover/fly in a certain way so as to capture them more effectively...and certainly not at midday when the light is horrible...
I fully accept that these are not good enough for Agency submission - but that's not my remit out here - I just thought you'd be interested in the kit.

There were posted more in the spirit of 'ooh, look what kit is out here' than a 'please crit my images' sense...I was on the HLS doing another job when these came in so they're more 'happy-snap' than anything else...
Had I been there to specifically photograph helicopters then I would have taken more care in setting things up - talking with the aircrew and arranging them to hover/fly in a certain way so as to capture them more effectively...and certainly not at midday when the light is horrible...
I fully accept that these are not good enough for Agency submission - but that's not my remit out here - I just thought you'd be interested in the kit.

They are good enough for me to "Ooooh Ahhh" at, just keep em coming but DONT take any bloody risks:clap:

Fantastic shots in the most part, but I am inclined to agree with Mr Kicker; this is an open forum for critique; you can't expect to post pictures and then reap the adoration!

Keep the shots coming though, you have a great array of aircraft there to shoot (in the 'togging sense!)

All the best,

Cheesy

Have to say I didn't notice Arkady asking for any crit, I assumed this was a 'look at the sweet kit' type post.

Have to say I didn't notice Arkady asking for any crit, I assumed this was a 'look at the sweet kit' type post.

Funny,

I saw a link at the top of the page that looked remarkably self explanatory:

Talk Photography > Photo Critique and Sharing > Transport > Afghan - More Helicopters

Those not looking for critique should go to:

Photos for Pleasure (4 Viewing)
This is a forum for sharing those photos for which you require no critique at all. Photos you have taken just for fun, or silly snapshots. Please do not offer any critique in this forum.

I don't want an argument, my comments just as any others are valid. I have stated that some of the shots here are good, the CH-53 is nothing short of superb, however I am inclined to agree that others could be better.

Best regards,

Cheesy

Last edited:
It seems the lowest I can get from elcheapo filters is an ND2 which is about 6 stops I think. I that going to be too much?

ND2 = 1 Stop? ..... ND8 might be better taking off 3 stops.

Awesome images btw, the rotor blur doesn't bother me, the colours and detail are great.

Funny,

I saw a link at the top of the page that looked remarkably self explanatory:

Talk Photography > Photo Critique and Sharing > Transport > Afghan - More Helicopters

Those not looking for critique should go to:

Photos for Pleasure (4 Viewing)
This is a forum for sharing those photos for which you require no critique at all. Photos you have taken just for fun, or silly snapshots. Please do not offer any critique in this forum.

I don't want an argument, my comments just as any others are valid. I have stated that some of the shots here are good, the CH-53 is nothing short of superb, however I am inclined to agree that others could be better.

Best regards,

Cheesy

Photo Critique and Sharing > Transport > Afghan - More Helicopters

I'm just sharing in the appropriate section Cheesy...(y)

I think its just nice of you to take shots of your incomming TP donations :LOL:

Photo Critique and Sharing > Transport > Afghan - More Helicopters

I'm just sharing in the appropriate section Cheesy...(y)

I and others are just sharing some critique!

Keep your head down out there,

(y)

Cheesy

That's some weird looking kit there. Thanks for sharing :)

ND2 = 1 Stop? ..... ND8 might be better taking off 3 stops.

:thinking:Not according to the table on the website I saw which said ND0.3=1stop, ND0.6=2stop ND2=6 stops.:shrug:

Really liking the last two, shame the rotors are chopped in the first one of those. I love seeing shots of military aircraft, always loved the scenes in movies where there's a whole group of choppers flying past, like in Forest Gump, Black Hawk Down, We Were Soldiers etc etc.

Aaa thanks for that cheesy, I couldn't be bothered with getting my dads Janes Military Helicopters book out.

Seakings can also land and take off from water (hence the bottom is shaped likethe hull of a boat) but I think it's only the Canadians that do it for fun.

If you need any more kit sent out, say upto £20 let me know. Awesome pics, got the last one as my PC background :)

:thinking:Not according to the table on the website I saw which said ND0.3=1stop, ND0.6=2stop ND2=6 stops.:shrug:

I'm not 100% on this but i think measures of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 are used for graduated ND's whereas as standard ND's go in increments of 2 and each increment represent one stop so ND2 = 1 stop, ND4 = 2 stops ND6 = 3 stops etc.

Edit: Just had a mooch on google and it seems my understanding was correct. At the bottom of this wiki explanation there's a nice table demonstrating what effect each ND filter has.

Last edited:
Back