Afghanistan Update 30/10/09

i love them.

i noticed the static rotors, but i dont think it distracts as the main point is the soldiers shielding themselves.

i really like the interior shots of the mastiff, would be good to see some exterior shots of it if you have any?

(Arkady wears tasty green fashionable socks)...

:eek: ... And your point is... :cautious:

Great update Rob... (y) ... it really is amazing you have the time and inclination to keep us mere mortals updated with you and your colleague's lives out in that godforsaken place... :ty:

We DO appreciate it... ;)

:p

Interesting,blades are fine....

Thanx, for taking the time to show and tell,keep at it real and be safe.

I'll keep showing what I can, but remember there are OPSEC issues so all images are cleared before release.
Unless they're of an obvious 'touristy' sort like the dinner.
Interiors of vehicles are a problem as we have classified equipment on board some of them and I have to look carefully to see what may or may not be visible even though to the uninitiated it's just more 'green-painted boxes'...

Great stuff Rob, that mess tent one is brilliant.

Would you mind me posting the dog handler shot on a springer spaniel forum I frequent?

Great stuff Rob, that mess tent one is brilliant.

Would you mind me posting the dog handler shot on a springer spaniel forum I frequent?

Not a problem: just credit me:
'Sgt Rob Knight, RLC, British Crown Copyright Reserved 2009'

Cheers Rob(y)

i have not be on here long but i make a point of looking at your images arkady
a great insight into the unknown for most of us
i have two nephews that have just joined the army
look forward to seeing more of your work

Just to add to the masses of encouraging comments :) Great shots, really like the cookhouse photo. Can't wait for more of your work.

interesting stuff
from a reportage point of view really like 1 2 3 4 5...urrm
the rotor blades are perfect for me, as the helicoptor is in the background
glad your kit is dust proof!! as the soldier on the right is covering the barrel of his rifle against dust.
really like the candids inside the APC and the dog handler...cracking shot :)

Great shots as have already been mentioned. These are an excellent documentary set. How do you get around the Crown Copyright issues?

Cheesy

Awesome photos as usual as said keep safe out there and really look forward to the next instalment.

Great shots as have already been mentioned. These are an excellent documentary set. How do you get around the Crown Copyright issues?

Cheesy

As per IPRC guidelines - MoD, as my employer have all rights for the sale and distribution of images taken as part of a Tasking...I own the intellectual copyright on all images as I am the 'author' under International Copyright Law.
With Crown Copyright images, once the image has been cleared for distribution via MoD and is 'out' there, I am free to use that image for personal publicity purposes - i.e. "I took this photo, what do you think?"
As long as I do not make money on it and make clear that it's a Crown Copyright Image.
If, however I take an image that is not part of that Tasking, I own the intellectual and physical copyright on that image and am free to use it in any way I see fit, even if it was taken on Deployment.

I have this argument about once a year with A.N. Other Staff Officer at PJHQ and so am fully conversant with every nuance of this matter...lol

Arkady,

That is some awesome info and just what I wanted to hear. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheesy

Arkady,

That is some awesome info and just what I wanted to hear. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheesy

If I read you correctly, there's nothing to prevent you selling images taken on deployment, as you are not a Trade Photographer - as long as they are cleared by Theatre Media Ops first and don't breach OPSEC guidelines...

We just had this chat on the day out to Herford, Tony said that the way it was panning out, as long as not a trained photographer on task, we keep the copyright etc.
He also said they couldn't afford to chase everyone anyway!

We just had this chat on the day out to Herford, Tony said that the way it was panning out, as long as not a trained photographer on task, we keep the copyright etc.
He also said they couldn't afford to chase everyone anyway!

Correct - you heard about the Navy Phot who, on the way out the door, downloaded the entire archive off the server at Fleet Photographic Unit in Portsmouth?

Published a book and more or less retired on the royalties - this was a few years back now and it was hushed-up a bit as most of the images weren't even his...
MoD didn't have the funds to fight the copyright battle, so he got away with it...:nono:

My take on the rotor blur, or not is, that if they were blurred, then they would be invisible due to the haze/sand, so rather that look like a helo with no blades just hanging, the frozen ones are fine.

Has the Soldier on the right got his hand over the end of the barrel deliberately to stop grit etc?

I think every single image is absolutely fantastic and I wish you and everyone else the best of luck out there!

Naughty Naughty, Hope your tour is going well, whens your RnR?

Naughty Naughty, Hope your tour is going well, whens your RnR?

End of Feb...
I deliberately pushed it as far left as I could...only 5 1/2 weeks to push after that.

I did that for OT13, RnR, flew back, 3 wks flew home, job done!

Keep safe

Back