Afghanistan Update 30/10/09

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
More from the Dusty place...just for fun and no critique required - I know which are the bad ones!!!

Dust - Chinook lands at Musa-Q'aleh DC
11x2009HERRICK110230424E.jpg

Op Barmer - checking the ground on the approach to a VP - vulnerable Point...
11x2009HERRICK110240105M.jpg

Inside a Mastiff APC - we LOVE Mastiff - best thing the Army's ever bought...
11x2009HERRICK110240002M.jpg

11x2009HERRICK110240070E.jpg

Dog Handler trying to eat all of his Kit-Kat - he failed...
11x2009HERRICK110250091E.jpg

Cookhouse - night shot taken hand-held - I love the D3!!!
11x2009HERRICK110230159E.jpg

Afghan boy at school..
11x2009HERRICK110250037E.jpg

Eating a Traditional meal...mmm...tasty...(Arkady wears green & red Xmas socks...mmm...fashionable)...
11x2009HERRICK110230312E.jpg

Outside the 'Grot' in Musa Q'aleh...
11x2009HERRICK110230334E.jpg

Inside the 'Grot'...
11x2009HERRICK110230577E.jpg

Last edited:
errrr... which are the bad ones then??

1st one - rotor-blades not blurred - makes it look like a model-aircraft stuck on afterwards...happily i saw a similar 'mistake' in a recent National Geographic story about Siberia...so it's not just me...lol

1st one - rotor-blades not blurred - makes it look like a model-aircraft stuck on afterwards...happily i saw a similar 'mistake' in a recent National Geographic story about Siberia...so it's not just me...lol

well, looks like you got away with that one then :clap:

Brilliant pics ... as usual (y)

Great working candids, not many get the chance for these type of subjects and I guess even less want to. Keep the great work up you are all doing. I also love the good one (I have 2 springers) A typical ESS pose.

STUNNING insight once again Rob.

...loving the socks by the way!!

Nice series of shots....

Eating a Tradition Meal ... is that Pepsi I see? You're being spoilt :p; that bread is very similar to an Afghan bread very popular here in Saudi, we call it Tamies, I wonder if that's the same one?

Inside the Grot, are you charging that gun :p

:LOL: Charging your gun indeed, it does look like it.

Yes Rob, some really bad ones there - this is when you really do need a rolling eyed smiley but will make do with this one>> :p

I do like the dog handler one and the 'atmosphere' shots really show us pampered lot what its like over there. Now will you please do those wellycopters properly :D ;)

As always a magnificent set Rob....The spaniel's expression is priceless!

Take very good care of yourself.

Amazing sets - great insight to a "hot topic" currently, and an insight we dont really see. Keep it up!!! Thank you!

I cant believe it, that dog handler and dog were only just on Telic! they were with us for an op near the border back in Jan, Now thats a short turn around!!

Great set as usual, That BFM looks sweaty!

lol its hard to even see the heli :D

Fantastic Photos, a real eye opener, Thanks for Sharing

Kirk

Arkady - I for one would like to thank you for your postings and pics, showing a side to something we only see on a TV screen,which Im sure is heavily censored by the powers that be.

The technical merits of a particular picture dont matter to me - you show me, sat at my laptop in comfortable rural Lancashire, something I wouldn't normally expect to see - an insight to a far off place.

Keep up the excellent work and I look forward to more of your pics.

PS The Xmas socks look like they could walk off on their own !!!!:puke: If you fancy a new pair, PM me and I,ll get a pair dispatched with my compliments !!

Regards

david700

Great shots, Rob.
It's fantastic to get a close look at our brave folks over there.
I wish the whole country could see those.

All the best to you all.

Dougie

Thank you for posting these, one of the most enjoyable and interesting sets of images i've seen in ages.

Made me think of Full Metal Jacket too, think i'll pop that on this evening.

I don't think it detracts from the fact it is still a cracking shot along with all the others.
Only a photographer or a critic would pick up on the that the rotor blades are not blurred.
The public would agree it's a cracking shot and how proud we are of you guys over there.

Totally blown away by all your recent work mate. Keep it coming (y)
Have you thought about maybe putting an exhibition on when your back?

Some stunningly good stuff. It is interesting to see a soldiers eye view of things rather than the stuff we see on the news.

Keep safe.

Totally blown away by all your recent work mate. Keep it coming (y)
Have you thought about maybe putting an exhibition on when your back?

Exhibition and a book...why do you think I volunteered for this malarky? Only because the Iraq Tour last year was so bloody dull, image-wise...

Exhibition and a book...why do you think I volunteered for this malarky? Only because the Iraq Tour last year was so bloody dull, image-wise...

Fan-dabbie-dozy then! Nice one Rob (y) Put me down for a signed copy :naughty:

Nice one Rob, like the cookhouse and the Op Barmer shots.

Are those mine-detectors not classified? Or is it the kit used for detecting IED's that's secret?

Brilliant.

Love the pictures - it really hits home the conditions our brave troops are putting themselves in on a daily basis.

Keep them coming!

Great Shots. Thank you for sharing them with us. They look a great bunch of men you are serving with. We, and I think I speak for most of the British public, are so proud of the job you are all doing out there. Stay safe

Your excellent pics give realistic glimpses of what it must be like over what we're fed by the news media - as for the rotor blades, well they can't be blurred without slowing the shutter to the point that the aircraft will also be blurred by its movement. But rotor blur can be photoshopped. Please don't take this as C&C ... it's just an idle comment ... :cautious:

Nice one Rob, like the cookhouse and the Op Barmer shots.

Are those mine-detectors not classified? Or is it the kit used for detecting IED's that's secret?

These are just very up-market metal detectors - I've been told I cannot show the control panels in detail, but the principles are well-known - and if you look on the manufacturer's website - it shows it all anyway!!! :wacky:

Amazing....something I'm really fascinated by, look through a lot of conflict photographers, seems such a worthwhile thing to be doing, love the moods that can be achieved. People seem to have quite a small view on the subject, based upon people i've spoken to about it...correct me if I'm wrong, they believe its all guns, blood, bodies, etc. But if they took the time to look through shots like this, they'd see such a different view. That shot of the dog handler and his dog, is absolute class

Yeah the dog handler looks like he's really trying to ignore the dog, but I can well imagine he failed miserably! Keep 'em coming Rob.

Cheers

Back