Non UK African Safari

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening All

Anyone been on a photo safari to Botswana ? Looking for any advice of time of year & any lessons learnt. Never been before so in that don’t know what I don’t know phase of planning.

thanks
Rob

Not to Botswana but lived in South Africa for many years and spent many a break in game reserves.
winter months are probably the best for game viewing. Winter is the dry season so grass will be shorter and game more active. During the hot, wet summer months game can disappear in the long grass and spend much of the day sheltering / resting in the shade.
Also less mosquitoes in the winter.

If you can, you must. Ive done two proper African safari's, the last one in 2005 to Kenya/Tanzania for 10 days, it was amazing, saw/photographed the Big 5 plus many others, but I was still shooting film then, on Pentax MZ-5 with kit 70-210 and a shorter zoom. I got many good photos thanks to our guide getting us real close to the animals (Lions within 10ft, Cheetah within 10ft, Buffalo charging our truck etc.). So I'd say the quality of the guide is a major factor.
The other time was in 2001 in Namibia, in Etosha self-driving mostly, which was also brilliant but I definitely could have used a local guide.

Myself and the Mrs spent 2 weeks @ Treetops lodge in Kenya what an experience - photographed the Big 5 and a lot more during our stay- Highly recommend

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the northern circuit in Tanzania in December 1999 which was wonderful. Followed by a week in Zanzibar. Take a couple Of big lenses, the Sigma 150-600 would be a good lens for a safari trip.

And ensure you have good security. I had a gun pulled on me in Dar es Salaam. Thankfully he was trying to sell it to me but it was a brown trouser moment.

I took a safari on the Chobe river in Botswana a few years ago. I was there in July (winter in the Southern Hemisphere), the weather was good not too hot or cold. Lots of wildlife to be seen and if your thing is birds then you will be in paradise! I was there for a week using a well equipped flat bottomed boat which designed specifically for photography. We went out before first light, back for lunch and then back out until after sunset to get elephant silhouettes.
This was the middle week of a three safari trip I took as a retirement present to myself. I started in Namibia in the Etosha National Park, Chobe and then finished with a week in the Mara triangle, Kenya to witness the great migration. It really was a wonderful experience which I heartily recommend. I guarantee you will capture a lot of wonderful images as you will get very close to animals. Fyi, I travelled with CNP safaris and they were fantastic.

Back