After a 40D - best way to get one?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
So having taken advice on here to go for a 40D rather than a 500D, I now need to find the best way to buy one.

Am i definitely having to go the second hand route on this now? and if so, whats the best thing to do in terms of trying to get some sort of warranty on it?

Obviously, the big upside to the 500D was that I would be buying new from a reputable retailer, so any issues should have been easily sorted.

So really after some advice now on where to get a 40D (cant post on the wanted forum here for some reason) and where I can buy one etc.

Also what should I be looking to pay?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I'd suggest keeping and eye on the for sale forum - there's often some going there.

It's well worth the extra effort to get one - they really are an awesome camera :)

Matt

You have just missed a bargain on the argos ebay pages. They were selling 100 odd New canon 40ds with 17-85 lens. Missed out by about a week. So keep checking ebay and the tp for sale bit. Best places to pick them up.

canon sell refurbs on ebey with a 1yr warranty i believe, check for canon shop

Is warranty a must? If so, like Ciaran said above you could try one of the canon refurbs.
If not, keep an eye out on the forum for-sale section, most people on here will be reputable, and you should be able to pick up a good deal.

Good choice on going for the 40d over the 500d though (y)

what would you say solid price is for a

a) refurbished one
b) second hand one - these seem to hold their value quite a lot from what im seeing

Have you seen the one in the classifieds on here :shrug:

I have seen it Tractor Boy - wondered firstly if that constitutes a decent price (im very new to this, and dont know what they listed at new) and also cant unfortunately post on that forum yet as I only joined on here a couple of weeks ago! Finding that bti quite frustrating actually!!!!

Also need to hurry through 100 posts as well!!!

BTW - also an Ipswich Fan! - hence my username!

Price wise they seem to go from £370-£450.

For £450 you will get a mint one with low actuations (under 5000) and maybe a spare battery.

How much you after body (with leads, strap, battery) etc? (basically everything you get when you buy body only new)

Unfortunately I now live in Harrogate, so collection not an option for me!

and also cant unfortunately post on that forum yet as I only joined on here a couple of weeks ago! Finding that bti quite frustrating actually!!!!

Also need to hurry through 100 posts as well!!!

my 2p !! check .......:rules:

you can "Buy" from the SALE section, but cannot post in WANTED till 100
you need 5posts before you can PM a seller
you can PM a Forum Advertiser right away

MODS ......correct ?

How much you after body (with leads, strap, battery) etc? (basically everything you get when you buy body only new)

Unfortunately I now live in Harrogate, so collection not an option for me!

Oh sorry, I just reacted to all that Suffolk & Ipswich malarkey!
I'd rather not split the body from the battery grip and the focusing screen - I plan to sell them as one item.

You can have a look at Dales Photographic Leeds used section they are brill and you do get a warrenty

canon sell refurbs on ebey with a 1yr warranty i believe, check for canon shop

I bought a G5 compact from Canon's ebay outlet, due to the description I wasn't expecting a box fresh example and the one I received had a couple of marks and a small dent in the back of the screen housing but otherwise worked perfectly. Unfortunately it developed a fault with a white spot on the images recorded, I phoned Canon and they gave me a list of repair centres to send it to. packed it up and sent it off to the first on the list (CCC) who quoted over £100 for a replacement screen assembly, I explained that the screen had been like they since Canon sent it to me and a damages screen wouldn't effect the captured image, the only options I was given were to go ahead with the repair or have it sent back to me once I had paid to the postage. I chose the second, sent it off to A. J. Johnstone and received it back within 10 days in full working order. My faith in Canon was restored, my distrust of Essex wideboys underlined.

I would buy from Canon Outlet again and have recommended others to do so, so far all of them have been happy with their purchases.

The G5 still lives and currently resides in the glove box for those times that a camera phone just isn't good enough and I don't have my kit on board.

If you buy one second-hand, I'd strongly suggest getting one from the classifieds here. You know who's had it and you can be certain the camera has been well looked after. I bought mine here and it was exactly as described; pristine condition, boxed with everything, at a fair price. Keep an eye on the classifieds forum and see what pops up. You'll probably be looking at £400-£450 for the body only, depending on condition.

The only downside is that the warrenty depends on whatever the seller had.

George.

There are a couple of what look to be good condition 40Ds with low actuations, over on AVForums (y)

On the subject of when you can post on the wanted/classified forums I recently queried this and as well as 100 posts you also need to have been a member for a minimum of 30 days. Tis quite frustrating for us but understandable!

Back