Agency. Half the pay, Double the chance

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Most footy agencies i know pay 70/30 in favour of the photogrpaher. On a few occasions I ahve been to games or wanted to be at games another photographer from same agency wants to be.. We have always agreed 50/50 split one at each end of ground

Is that the way forward? I ahve been to games and got nothing because all action at wrong end or players celebrating a goal had backs to me.

Someone with a 400 and short lens at each end should cover most of the game..

Your fee would be half but more cahnce of a show.

Is it the way forward? 150 quid pic would give you a snitch over 50 quid each after the 30% gone.

Most footy agencies i know pay 70/30 in favour of the photogrpaher. On a few occasions I ahve been to games or wanted to be at games another photographer from same agency wants to be.. We have always agreed 50/50 split one at each end of ground

Is that the way forward? I ahve been to games and got nothing because all action at wrong end or players celebrating a goal had backs to me.

Someone with a 400 and short lens at each end should cover most of the game..

Your fee would be half but more cahnce of a show.

Is it the way forward? 150 quid pic would give you a snitch over 50 quid each after the 30% gone.

I think it would depend who is at the other end, would be ok if you work in a pair and both get a decent share but i wouldn't be happy if the other guy wasn't getting any usage but i was :)

quoting another Togs quote:D, you've opened a can of worms here Tony :LOL:.
I get the gist of what your saying but I 'couldn't get the PA/focus images or Getty guy to go along with it :D. Kind regards Graham.

Hmmmm...interesting theory. However, you might be scuppered by a resistance to accrediting 2 togs by some clubs (unless we're talking about lower league where they're happier for coverage).

Of course, if you're suggesting sharing images between you then that REALLY is opening another can of worms. And one we'd do well to avoid discussing in public. At all. Ever. :cautious:

I think it would depend who is at the other end, would be ok if you work in a pair and both get a decent share but i wouldn't be happy if the other guy wasn't getting any usage but i was :)

But thats the point.. suppose your at a game and all the action is at the other end and you wasted your time.. but fred bloggs at the other end gets loads of good shots.. your at least going to get soemthing out of it..

Anyway havent we doubled up (ooer missus) at a game before today?

Hmmmm...interesting theory. However, you might be scuppered by a resistance to accrediting 2 togs by some clubs (unless we're talking about lower league where they're happier for coverage).

Of course, if you're suggesting sharing images between you then that REALLY is opening another can of worms. And one we'd do well to avoid discussing in public. At all. Ever. :cautious:

No and deffo NO! :)

I ahve been to games wiht 2 togs from same agency.. no problem

Its all above board... you can get accreditation for more than one tog at a game from same agency..seen it done loads..

Point is.. it does double your chance of earning BUT halves your wage... is that the way forward .. is that the angle we need to make sure little agencies or licence holders get some coverage?... not agencies even.. 2 people with there own licence could double up?

Last edited:
I don't have much experience before you shout me down in flames, but most of the time, if all action is at one end, then second half it should, in theory all be at the other end?

There has only ever been one occasion I've shot with someone else from Colorsport, and that was at Man City. Two accreditations no problem!

I don't have much experience before you shout me down in flames, but most of the time, if all action is at one end, then second half it should, in theory all be at the other end?

The clever togs agree to swap ends at half time if the other guy has seen no action ;)

No experience either but if your profession relies on your skills AND a bit luck (i.e. if the subjects/action are facing your camera at the time), then with the 'luck' aspect being a factor it would be better to pool resources, double your chance of earnings. Provided you trust the chap at the other end to pull their weight as much as yourself.

You would think so wouldnt you... in fact your simply stating what should be obvious... however at the risk of getting shot down for being too cheesy today... It's a funny old game.. Have spent too many games twiddling my thumbs .. Also a team can go 4-0 up in the first half and then shut up shop for the rest of the game protecting the lead :(

From an outsider looking in I think you need to find someone on a similar level with similar work ethics and taste. Give it a try for a month or two and see if it works out.

Interesting discussion. I still think you can do both ends from one end though as I saw one tog had several shows from the match I was at last Sat of the winning goal taken from the other end whilst I had a better shot (of course!) taken from the end the goal was scored at. Swings and roundabouts.

I always have the most agonizing decision making process when I first walk out on the pitch trying to decide which end to sit at and where to position myself. Takes ages before i make my mind up usually!

I always have the most agonizing decision making process when I first walk out on the pitch trying to decide which end to sit at !

away from the big agencies for me.. Blackburn v Chelsea last season i was the only tog to the left of the goal at blackburn end. i got a couple of good shows from diouf equalising goal and the only tog in the ground who could have got his face in picture..

re your other point one tog whole ground.... yes with a 400.. I have seen a lot published from long pulls... But celebration pics are money shots and if player is running towards a tog with a short lens and your in the opposite corner you wont get anyhting.. that shot will sell before your great flying tackle earlier..

I would have thought it was more like most agencies go for the 50/50 split rather than 70/30?? Am I being robbed?? :eek:

I think your being robbed... But I havent had dealings wiht them all so dont take my word for it :).. personally I wouldnt touch 50/50

I would have thought it was more like most agencies go for the 50/50 split rather than 70/30?? Am I being robbed?? :eek:

The two i work for are both 70/30, Some are 50/50 but IMHO 50/50 is a rip off and not worth bothering with.

Who do you shoot for mate? PM if you want, might be able to point you in the right direction

Couldn't the two of you setup a partnership name which could be used for accreditations and have a website with both your profiles on it? That way people wouldn't know which one specifically took the photo and a default of 50/50 accreditation would evolve for each person.

On a financial view, it makes good sense especially for sports which cover a large area.

For example: KIPAX ROVERS :naughty:

Last edited:
Couldn't the two of you setup a partnership name which could be used for accreditations and have a website with both your profiles on it? That way people wouldn't know which one specifically took the photo and a default of 50/50 accreditation would evolve for each person.
:

I dont understand what the point would be... but no.. remember your working for an agency in the first place (the 30%).. so the pics ahve to go to them..

Sorry, I think I misread the accreditations part. I thought there was some issue with who the agency should credit the photo towards when you have a 50/50 arrangement in place but on re-reading I understand now.

A few too many :beer:

The two i work for are both 70/30, Some are 50/50 but IMHO 50/50 is a rip off and not worth bothering with.

Who do you shoot for mate? PM if you want, might be able to point you in the right direction

I can't PM for some reason. Is it because I don't have enough posts? Can you PM me instead and I'll reply back. Who do you work for, just in case it's the same crowd!!

Didnt think anyone offered 50/50 anymore. Season before Last I received £50 match fee + exes +50/50. Unfortunately this deal fell though due to lack of licence for following season so I went back to 75/25 with another agency I work for.

With regard to covering both ends you will have to work out a deal with the agency (as they will be paying and need to apply for two passes) and the second photographer.

At one game another photographer from the same agency turned up at the same game as me. I was fairly p***ed off when I saw him as no one had bothered to mention it to me. In the end I pulled rank and told him where I was sitting and if I wanted to change at half time he would have to swop too. A bit heavy handed by me but he agreed, not sure I would have done the same *** but if it had been me wanting the same game I would have asked the agency to contact the other guy.

I must add the current agency I work for does on occasion sent two photographers to some games and Action Images frequently send two to many top games.

I get 60/40 on my pictures through the agency.

I think the collaboration idea is a feasible one as long as you are both contributing equally.

The credit doesn't matter as long as the money is coming in!

I think the collaboration idea is a feasible one as long as you are both contributing equally.!

eeerm yes per season not per match or it defeats the concept..

The credit doesn't matter as long as the money is coming in!

The way some publications crop , distort or poorly print pics i would rather no credit sometimes..

Back