Agency work

Just noticed the tag for me in the post....

For me all my work abroad was self sourced...and still is.
I find the events, and the clients for it.

What I have noticed is that clients like to know the exact amount the need to pay in advance - so the way I work it is that I tell the client that the job will cost them £xxxx .. and that is then all inclusive. And I sort my own flights, hotels, meals.
This way I know in advance how much I will get paid, and know that it covers my expenses and gives me a profit. And also the client doesn't need to worry about how much I will spend during my assignment.

I do have some clients who organise everything 'door-to-door' for me.. so it's picking-up from home, flights, hotels, rental car, meals...
But from my personal experience... the profit from these is less, but then the travel is in Business Class and fancier hotels.

This is just the way I find it works the best for me, others will tell you that having a client pay for all is better... so I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it... just what ever works for you.

I could write a long post about overseas work and how to go about finding it...(but not on the iPad ...)
So if there is interest in that... might try to find some time to write a post...

Hi GooGaBu (you don't have your real name displayed!),

Thank you for the post. I can appreciate how much effort it always seems to take when writing something informative on a phone/tablet.

It's very interesting to find out, from all of you experienced toggers, how these things work.

I bet you get to see some amazing places, whilst meeting some very "interesting(?)" people? :)

It would be nice to see some insight into how you managed to pick up overseas work. I wouldn't share all your secrets though! :p

Many thanks,
Wez

I have never been on a plane so working abroad is a no-no for me and I have turned down work abroad :(

As I think I've said before - having jobs abroad isn't always that great... it's one of those things that sometimes might sound more glamorous than it actually is :)

Hi GooGaBu (you don't have your real name displayed!),

Thank you for the post. I can appreciate how much effort it always seems to take when writing something informative on a phone/tablet.

It's very interesting to find out, from all of you experienced toggers, how these things work.

I bet you get to see some amazing places, whilst meeting some very "interesting(?)" people? :)

It would be nice to see some insight into how you managed to pick up overseas work. I wouldn't share all your secrets though! :p

Many thanks,
Wez

GooGaBu is good enough name for me :) Not sure many here even know my real name.. (although probably not hard to find out...)

It's quite rare that I get to enjoy the place where I go to work (when abroad) - and when I get back people ask me "So, how was Paris/Istanbul/Berlin???"
My answers tend to be something like "Didn't like the airport too much, bit of a hassle to get to the hotel, decent room and good WiFi... the Arena had better lights than I am used to, and it was hard to find anything healthy to eat at midnight after the game...."
Unfortunately the sports I cover do not have World Cups that last for two months .. like Rugby, Cricket or Football ;-)
But still.. you are right, definitely get to meet some interesting people and the networking court-side has provided me lots of contacts that have lead to some really cool jobs!!

One thing that from my experience has been very important in finding my jobs abroad : Contacts !!
In the crowded marketplace where work at - it often seems to come down to who you know, rather than the quality/price of your images.

But to start with, when I had no contacts... it was a case of finding my little corner of the market, that wasn't covered yet.
So it was long hours trawling through the internet finding sports/events that weren't covered by the big boys.
Looking at clubs, newspapers, organisations, sponsors, federations and their websites to learn what type of images were there... and compare these amongst one another.
That gave me an idea where I might pitch my queries... and yes, there are lots of No Reply or No Thanks ... but keep on trying and there will be the first one to bite!

UK (in my eyes) is a tough market .. with few sports getting the coverage and lots of big agencies covering their games. But if you look under the radar, you can find stuff that no-one covers.. but that might still be worth your time.
But then again, why would your sport have to be BIG in the UK?? If you are looking for work abroad.. broaden your horizon.. if you are willing to travel, and have the skills to capture striking images, there is a market out there for you!

Even these days, I keep on looking through various sports related Twitter/Insta/FB/websites... and searching for new events to attend.
And sometimes just a simple Tweet from an event can land you a good job... when you contact them and they realise that they do need a photographer :)

Is it easy to find the work?? No. Does it make me rich?? No. Do I enjoy what I do?? Damn right I do!!! :)

Just remember.. that where as if you cover games close to home.. you get to come home after work, sit comfortably on your sofa and relax.. while nipping to the fridge to grab something to eat.
Meanwhile... the guy working abroad.. they've just finished covering a game.. they somehow need to negotiate their way back to the hotel.. and finding no Taxi's and public transport having stopped... they get to the hotel hungry/sweaty and tired... and the only thing to eat is the bag of Wasabi nuts you bought at the airport... ;-)

I may be wrong there is nothing stopping you working for more than one agency but if you cover a game for one agency you can't send out to an other agency as you are st the game (I am assuming we're are taking EFL footy) for said agency on their licence.
It's also worth pointing out that if you cover a game for an agency you can't do a thing with the pics as they were taken whilst working for said agency.
That's one reason why as a licence holder I only have trusted individuals working for me as I want to know where the images have gone.
Re your question about mifi I use EE and it works for me but better still use the stadium wifi

You can indeed work for multiple agencies!, I have worked for Blue Marlin in the passed with my dataco licence registered as "Multi company" My main agency was fully aware of the deal as the main agency only dealt with National papers & as Blue Marlin's for his commissions covered regional & trade papers there was never a conflict of interest. Regards Graham.

Last edited:
That's a really good price.

My iPhone has 4G capability and it's on pay as u go. I pay a tenner a month which includes 1gb of data. It's on the network "3". I'll have to look into it but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't support tethering on pay as u go!

Wez I've just upgraded my o2 pay monthly sim only contract & get 8G of ultra fast data a month for £16.00, (should be £24.00 but just update it before the 12 months is up), this includes unlimited calls & texts too so my MIFI unit will now be a back up on EE as and when I think I'll need it, which may be sometimes as my Local Team is now Premier League :).
As Kipax says you won't need this amount but it's there just in case you send Raw files!!!!!!!!! :exit:LOL.

You can indeed work for multiple agencies!, I have worked for Blue Marlin in the passed with my dataco licence registered as "Multi company" My main agency was fully aware of the deal as the main agency only dealt with National papers & as Blue Marlin's for his commissions covered regional & trade papers there was never a conflict of interest. Regards Graham.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Graham.

Obviously, I wouldn't work for an agency at one game then fire off the same images to another agency. That would be a big NO-NO!! :)

You say you used your dataco licence, and I imagine having your own, it would make sense to fire off to multiple agencies. But as I don't have a dataco licence, I was just wondering whether I could shoot for one agency one game and another agency for the midweek game? Obviously, working exclusively with that one agency at the time? Not that I would but I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible on the subject :) It appears that you're not under a contract to say that you work exclusively with one agency all season.

Wez I've just upgraded my o2 pay monthly sim only contract & get 8G of ultra fast data a month for £16.00, (should be £24.00 but just update it before the 12 months is up), this includes unlimited calls & texts too so my MIFI unit will now be a back up on EE as and when I think I'll need it

Thanks for the info, I've been practising with my iphone as a tethered hotspot and I haven't had any coverage problems with it......yet! I should probably look at a mifi unit then to keep as a backup? Are these generally top-up based devices?

which may be sometimes as my Local Team is now Premier League :).

I take it that's Huddersfield? Congrats for getting promoted, was so nice to see them come up (y)

GooGaBu is good enough name for me :) Not sure many here even know my real name.. (although probably not hard to find out...)

It's quite rare that I get to enjoy the place where I go to work (when abroad) - and when I get back people ask me "So, how was Paris/Istanbul/Berlin???"
My answers tend to be something like "Didn't like the airport too much, bit of a hassle to get to the hotel, decent room and good WiFi... the Arena had better lights than I am used to, and it was hard to find anything healthy to eat at midnight after the game...."
Unfortunately the sports I cover do not have World Cups that last for two months .. like Rugby, Cricket or Football ;-)
But still.. you are right, definitely get to meet some interesting people and the networking court-side has provided me lots of contacts that have lead to some really cool jobs!!

One thing that from my experience has been very important in finding my jobs abroad : Contacts !!
In the crowded marketplace where work at - it often seems to come down to who you know, rather than the quality/price of your images.

But to start with, when I had no contacts... it was a case of finding my little corner of the market, that wasn't covered yet.
So it was long hours trawling through the internet finding sports/events that weren't covered by the big boys.
Looking at clubs, newspapers, organisations, sponsors, federations and their websites to learn what type of images were there... and compare these amongst one another.
That gave me an idea where I might pitch my queries... and yes, there are lots of No Reply or No Thanks ... but keep on trying and there will be the first one to bite!

UK (in my eyes) is a tough market .. with few sports getting the coverage and lots of big agencies covering their games. But if you look under the radar, you can find stuff that no-one covers.. but that might still be worth your time.
But then again, why would your sport have to be BIG in the UK?? If you are looking for work abroad.. broaden your horizon.. if you are willing to travel, and have the skills to capture striking images, there is a market out there for you!

Even these days, I keep on looking through various sports related Twitter/Insta/FB/websites... and searching for new events to attend.
And sometimes just a simple Tweet from an event can land you a good job... when you contact them and they realise that they do need a photographer :)

Is it easy to find the work?? No. Does it make me rich?? No. Do I enjoy what I do?? Damn right I do!!! :)

Just remember.. that where as if you cover games close to home.. you get to come home after work, sit comfortably on your sofa and relax.. while nipping to the fridge to grab something to eat.
Meanwhile... the guy working abroad.. they've just finished covering a game.. they somehow need to negotiate their way back to the hotel.. and finding no Taxi's and public transport having stopped... they get to the hotel hungry/sweaty and tired... and the only thing to eat is the bag of Wasabi nuts you bought at the airport... ;-)

Thank you for taking the time to write this up, it's great.

Something you could type whilst sitting in an airport waiting for a flight back! :D

You say you used your dataco licence, and I imagine having your own, it would make sense to fire off to multiple agencies.

I think your getting mixed up with what an agency is.. if you have your own licence you dont send to any agencies.... all an agency is...is a licence holder who had added other photogrpahers... he pays them 70% of whatever he sells the pics for (standard rate) the whole point of having your own licence (apart from more control over your pics) is to sell them direct yourself for 100% of what is paid

I think your getting mixed up with what an agency is.. if you have your own licence you dont send to any agencies.... all an agency is...is a licence holder who had added other photogrpahers... he pays them 70% of whatever he sells the pics for (standard rate) the whole point of having your own licence (apart from more control over your pics) is to sell them direct yourself for 100% of what is paid

Oh yea, got you now. Makes sense lol :)

Tell that to all the xxxxers filing to Rex each week!

Interesting thread, thread, I would love to get into sports photography but it seems to be a difficult market to enter.

Interesting thread, thread, I would love to get into sports photography but it seems to be a difficult market to enter.

It's the easiest market to enter.. This sunday you can go shoot a cricket match in your local area...

Back