Ah well,here goes.

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
I don`t ask advice often in here on kit,but I have a dilemma.

I have been looking for an old 17-35 F2.8 Nikon,but,as usual, prices are sky high for secondhand ones. Now I won`t use the lens very often and don`t want to spend a fortune.So what would you good people recommend for a good wide angle to go on my D700`s?

I have a 17-50 Tamron for my D200 and rather like it,are the Tamron FF versions as good as that, which Sigmas or Tokinas are good,or should I lube up and get the Nikon?

Edit.......yes I did use the search function..........:D

The new 16-35mm F4 has a better MTF. The Tamron 17-35mm is nearly as good optically and much, much cheaper, but needs body driven focus.

Thanks for the quick reply, the new 16-35 is a big no-no,I shall look into the Tamron,body drive isn`t a problem. Anyone had or use one of these?

Thanks for the quick reply, the new 16-35 is a big no-no,I shall look into the Tamron,body drive isn`t a problem. Anyone had or use one of these?

The Tamron 17-35 is excellent. I use them in Nikon and Sony fit, and they are always much better than you'd expect.

The Tamron 17-35 is f/2.8 at 17mm and VERY sharp, one stop faster than the 16-35 f/4 VR lens and about £800 less.

The Tamron 17-35 is excellent. I use them in Nikon and Sony fit, and they are always much better than you'd expect.

The Tamron 17-35 is f/2.8 at 17mm and VERY sharp, one stop faster than the 16-35 f/4 VR lens and about £800 less.

Your selling it well Andy.........(y)

I am pleased as punch with the 17-50 I got, I think the 17-35 Tamron is the way forward. I won`t use it that much so the £1000+ lenses are a :thumbsdown:

I know it's pricey, but after you get it, you'll find reasons to keep it mounted all the time - my votes goes to a Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8...
Just think, unless you're a tart, it don't have to be minty - just optically good.

Think how appalling mine all look, dented, scratched and scuffed, but there's not a blemish on any of the optics...

I`m none too concerned about appearances Rob, been watching them on ebay and they reach daft money........:shrug:

I`m none too concerned about appearances Rob, been watching them on ebay and they reach daft money........:shrug:

Assuming it doesn't have a squeaky AF-S motor and it in good nick optically, expect to pay £750+.

You can find them cheaper, but they usually have the AF-S motor issue (squeaky motor) which can be a sign of failure - although they still may last for years.

You can find them with totally broken motors (sold as "MF only") for around £450, but thats not really good value.

One on ebay at £469,MF only,plain daft money IMO guys.

I`ll hunt a Tamron down,occasional use only lens,so not spending daft money.

Thanks for all the help..........(y)

Back