air show lens

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
We have the Northern Ireland Air show in a couple of weeks and i was wondering about hiring a lens.....is it better to hire a prime ir a tele/zoom and which focal length. The air show is held over a bay :)

Although a prime would give better IQ a zoom would be more flexible as planes have a habit of moving about a bit! Hiring is a good idea if you want to try before you buy or aren't going to do this kind of thing too often.

Not sure on the nikon offerings but sigma have a couple of lenses that'd be useful, the 150-500 being at the top of the list.

Last edited:
On my Nikon, I find my 300mm f/4 is generally enough. Sometimes I'll stick the 1.4 TC on it to get 420mm for the smaller aircraft. I do consider getting the 70-200 though for some of the bigger stuff when they're landing and taking off. I should think a 70-200 would be pretty reasonable all round anyway.

The main tricky thing I find is prop aircraft. The 300 is heavy and long for getting stable low speed shots that retain prop blur. VR might help. I've only got the 18-200 VR which isn't an amazing lens though the VR has occasionally made it a bit easier to get these shots. The 70-200 VR might be a lot better though. Or I could just learn to hand hold or use a tripod better :D

If this is not at an airfield and just out over sea then 300mm minimum as you will not require wider for ground displays or landings. Any of the fast Sigma telephoto lens with 1.4 EX convertor to keep auto focus should do nicely and is cheaper than Nikon but if you can afford it go for Nikon. (y)

Last edited:
Hey Micheal have u decided yet on what to go for? I have he 100-400 L on hold for me and can't wait to give it a go. Yes a prime would be a faster lens but I like the range, 100-400 is huge, I'm on a 40D so I don't want to be cropping in too tightly on PP.

i have a siggy apo 70-300 and i m not sure wether to go for a tele convertor ir go and hire a nikon from calumet!!!! HELP!!! :cool:

What lenses do Camulet have, is this the one down the Boucher Road? I did call them but they said they would need the value of the lens left in full, offered no insurance. From being at the show last year I am wanting something that will reach 400mm with a nice fast AF hence my choice, does a teleconvertor effect focussing speed or just reduce maximum aperature?

The Sigma 500 will certainly have the range.
I don't think I've ever used the x2 converter on it with anything as fast as an aircraft though! Save it for when I'm stalking something slow or static.

Given our usual weather, don't think I'd want to sacrifice the stops to a converter either. The loss of light with the x2 fitted is fairly noticeable - would imagine a x1.4 would only be slightly better.

A good, fast 'all-round' lens probably your best option?......with a bit of 'range', obviously....

I went to Dawlish airshow last week which is another bay display. I was only using a 50-200mm lens on a 1.5 crop but that was fine as the planes all did low-level fly pasts which allowed close-ups even at 200mm, and the 50mm end I used a lot for the Red-Arrows to allow me to get the smoke and formations.

The 200mm was too small for single planes at a distance except that it allowed me to get shots of them “in the landscape”, interacting with the crowds etc,

I’ve got the Siggy 150-500 but on a 1.5 crop I knew I wouldn’t be able to get smoke trails that easily and I can always crop.

I’d recommend something up to 300mm if it’s your first time and you’re close and using a 1.5 crop, especially if you’re not used to panning.

Also search Flickr for “Dawlish Air Show 2010” as there are images there which might give you some idea.
Can you also search for your airshow to see what people used/where they stood?

Good luck
QS

i have a siggy apo 70-300 and i m not sure wether to go for a tele convertor ir go and hire a nikon from calumet!!!! HELP!!! :cool:

Forget that for a start, a TC is not designed for these budget zooms. IQ's are poor, autofocus dog slow, thats even if if fits.

As for a lens, it depends on the display line for the aircraft as to what you get. 300mm doesn't cut the mustard howadays, the aircraft are displaying further away from the crowd. As it looks like a coastal display, aircraft will display even further way from the crowd. Perhaps pose the questions on this forum regarding how far away they display, or perhaps the best locations to takes images http://www.niaviation.co.uk/gallery/index.php

If you could hire one, I would suggest the sigma 120-300mm f2.8 + 1.4x TC or the nikon 300mm f4 + 1.4x TC as your best bets.

It also depends on the weather, shoreham last weekend was very poor for photography, mist, rain grey skies, not worth getting the camera out. It also depends where the sun is with regard to the display line, ideally you want the sun behind you to acheive the best results, grey blobs in the sky just don't look appealing.

will start looking to hire a siggy 150-500,me thinks....calumet wants full price deposit for the nikon lens so i think i will give them a miss.

Give Stewart at www.lensesforhire.co.uk a call their very good.

The sigma 150-500mm would be ok as long as the conditions are reasonable, its a slowish lens autofocus wise because its f6.3 so you need reasonable light and stop it down a stop or 2 as its soft wide open.

will ring stuart now, thanks......would love to go towards a faster lens but just cant justify the rental price ....

I have the 100-400 but would definitely choose the 70-200 for an airshow - far more keepers IMO.

IMO the longer the better. wide shots are only really suitable for formation aircraft, get in close to the single aircraft

Depends how far away you are. For this kind of air show then probably yes. When I did Farnborough when the A380 first turned up, even the 300mm without the TC was getting a bit close to get the whole thing in shot! :D

But generally for smaller aircraft, yes. I would guess they will mostly be such at this event.

I have the 100-400 but would definitely choose the 70-200 for an airshow - far more keepers IMO.

The only time I've used the 70-200mm is for take offs and landings, but nearly ever display I've been to this year and its a few, the 300mm + 1.4x TC has been on the 1D and even then there were some shots too far away. Duxford I got away with a 300mm, but I was right under the display axis, RAIT was a TC, most of the pro at RAIT were using 500mm and 600mm lenses, so 70-200mm just doesn't cut the mustard for today displays unless your not on the crowd line and can get closer to the action.

The only time I've used the 70-200mm is for take offs and landings, but nearly ever display I've been to this year and its a few, the 300mm + 1.4x TC has been on the 1D and even then there were some shots too far away. Duxford I got away with a 300mm, but I was right under the display axis, RAIT was a TC, most of the pro at RAIT were using 500mm and 600mm lenses, so 70-200mm just doesn't cut the mustard for today displays unless your not on the crowd line and can get closer to the action.

Due to not having a long lens anymore I used a 70-200 f2.8 with a 1.4x at Kemble this year and got on OK with it by being selective with what i shot but I agree that for other airshows 400mm is pretty well the minimum if you want to fill the frame

well, for 450D, what is better for airshow? the cheap reliable 55-250 canon or siggy 70-300? 250 gives 400mm, which is ok-ish, no? im planning to go to duxford for the october show.

Back