Airbus A380 flight deck

They are fairly tight for room in there! The seats look like they would be really uncomfortable after a while.

Pretty cool find.

Not sure about the flimsy door lock though, I thought they stepped things up a little.

Very, very cool. If I had my time over, I'd have been a piloteer.;)

Pretty cool find.

Not sure about the flimsy door lock though, I thought they stepped things up a little.

Thought the same. Perhaps there's another door in front of that one.

Matt

One thing that I find quite bizarre is that the pilot needs to be ambidextrous with the joystick being on opposite sides depending on whether you are the pilot or co-pilot.

You would have thought that for something that I assume requires a delicate touch, you wuld have that in the same position (between the legs or straight ahead?). Or is that just an amateur not knowing anything about ergonomics?

One thing that I find quite bizarre is that the pilot needs to be ambidextrous with the joystick being on opposite sides depending on whether you are the pilot or co-pilot.

You would have thought that for something that I assume requires a delicate touch, you wuld have that in the same position (between the legs or straight ahead?). Or is that just an amateur not knowing anything about ergonomics?

It's actually quite a normal thing for flying. One thing which I couldn't get the hang of while flying is that when you're learning you nearly always end up in the left seat having to be left handed!

Anyone else spy the red button that wasnt on the joysticks? Self destruct maybe? :D

I like the red tape on the trapdoor handle.

Very cool panno though

I thought those small joysticks were for the Play Stations and was wondering where the big one between the legs had gone to.
Do you really have to know what all those switches are for!!
Dave

I thought those small joysticks were for the Play Stations and was wondering where the big one between the legs had gone to.
Do you really have to know what all those switches are for!!
Dave

is fly by wire so they basicaly are playstation joysticks

Very nice but how do you start the thing ??

Air supply on. Fuel pumps on. Ignition mode selected (ignition for start - continuous ignition for inflight relight - no ignition for turning without burning). Select the individual engine levers to start. Easy stuff.

all very technical but where are teh cup holders?h

all very technical but where are teh cup holders?h

Here they are... :D

cupholders.jpg

Rubbish - no CD player or Ipod dock?! :D

Honestly though - thanks for this link. Probably the closest majority of us will ever come to seeing what the cockpit of an A380 looks like! Can't actually wait till the day that I fly in one.

Showed this to the Mrs and she had a valid question though - wouldn't this link be potentially very useful for hijackers/terrorists?? :thinking:

wouldn't this link be potentially very useful for hijackers/terrorists?? :thinking:

and pedophiles, asylum seekers and 'the gays'! :eek:

I dont think this is really any different to a quick google - http://images.google.co.uk/images?h...light deck&aql=&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Anyway, I am loving the 'laptop' for the 3rd pilot dude to use at the back, looks like something from the 80s. I really am surprised how small and.....naff it all looks, I was expecting tons of gadgets and I dunno, more funky looking stuff. Guess it is function over design.

OK, valid points there about more info being available on the tin'net.........
I was a bit surprised by the laptop too....guess they ran out of money and couldn't afford to put in a decent laptop?!

It's not a laptop. It's maintenance access terminal. It interfaces with the aircraft systems for engineering use.

Very cool. I'd love to fly in A380, but probably not fly it myself :)

I particularly like the video panel on the centre console - looks like one of the cameras is mounted on the tail - very cool and should help if ever there's an engine fire. I remember a lot of episodes of Air Crash Investigations where they don't notice an engine is on fire because they can't see the engines from the cockpit.

Any idea what the big grey bulges are on the centre console?

Tres Cool.

Have been up in one from Singapore last year, they are massive! Always wondered what the driver's seat was like. Mine seemed to be much comfier!

Back