Airgun target shooting.

Name
pretty obvious really.
Edit My Images
Yes
A few months ago I fancied having a go at target shooting so got hold of a spring air rifle and booked an hour at the local range which I really enjoyed even though the target looked like a pepper pit when I had finished. Along came lockdown so I couldn’t go to the range so I started looking into it a bit more and last week I bought myself a pcp gun and air bottle.
Today I went into work to set the scope up (no one working today so I had the place to myself) ad I was blown away with the accuracy of it. Using a bench rest it can put pellet on pellet at 30 yards. I cant wait for the ranges to open now.

842787D1-5A8B-4DDD-A667-937ECA677F04.jpeg

The springer is a Weihrauch Hw99s and the pcp is an Air Arms S400

Will you be persevering with the springer when the range reopens, or sticking with the pcp?

Think I’m going to stick with the pcp. I’m not sure wether to keep the springer or sell it. Its always handy to have but its more clutter and I can only get one air gun in the cabinet with my shotgun.

Both great rifles, last time I used one must have been about 10y ago though.
Also used a FAC s200 [emoji7]

Sadly Scotland made it so you need a license to even own an sub 12ftlbs air rifle.
So would I need to get a license to take my Airgun into Scotland?

I've spent the lock down (although I've worked even more through it) making various reactive targets out of junk The max I can shoot at home is about 30 meters but that involves shooting from my front perimeter through the workshop and up the garden the more realistic range is 15 meters. I've even thought of trading in a couple of my shotguns and going for the fire arms license. First one has space for a few more targets.

100_4596.JPG

100_4598.JPG

100_4597.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, pcp air rifles are incredibly accurate, springers much less so because of the "precoil" that happens before the pellet has exited the barrel. Having said that, pre-virus lockdown I've used a battered old springer very effectively against rats at our farm (don't like having to poison them) and an airgun has the massive advantage that it can be kept readily available, isn't subject to licensing and there is minimal risk of causing either injury or damage.

I've never owned a pcp and never will - like all guns that aren't subject to the Firearms Act (obsolete calibre and deactivated) they are incredibly over-priced for what they are - but they're great for short-range target shooting, if that's your thing.

I'm part of an outdoors group that puts on things like archery, crossbow shooting, air rifle shooting, spear throwing and similar at public events, mainly to raise money for charity but also to allow the public (including loads of kids) to have a go at activities that most people consider to be politically incorrect, and partly because of my old age and partly because I'm a qualified rifle safety officer I'm the one who staffs the air rifle target shooting. The sense of achievement that many of these people have when they find that they can actually hit the target is incredible, and it also allows them to do it properly and safely. They also learn that real shooting (even with a low powered airgun) is a million miles away from what they see in the movies:)

So would I need to get a license to take my Airgun into Scotland?

Visitor permits
If you are over 18 and visiting Scotland with an airgun you may need to apply for a visitor’s permit. These will be issued by Police Scotland and may enable those granted a permit to possess, acquire, use, or purchase an airgun during the qualifying period, without holding an actual air weapon certificate.
If you were part of, or acting for a club or team, then a person may, on behalf of a group of 2 to 20, apply for individual licences for group members.
Shotgun or firearm certificate holders outside of Scotland may possess or use an airgun in Scotland until their current SGC or FAC licence renews or expires. Following this, a visitor permit must be applied for. Full air weapon certificates may be issued to residents outside of Scotland if good reason, such as frequent visiting, is evidenced. Such certificates may last for five years compared to visitor permits that only run for a stated length of time, to a maximum of 12 months. Permits are also available to those aged 14-17. Certain conditions may apply but parental/guardian consent will be required.

From the BASC

Yes, pcp air rifles are incredibly accurate, springers much less so because of the "precoil" that happens before the pellet has exited the barrel. ..........:).

TRUE....i was taught to loosely hold a 'springer' rifle and let the barrel float the same each shot
tn_006 Kypeside.JPG

Last edited:
I'm also of an age where having an air rifle was part of growing up, especially as I lived on an estuary and firing at floating targets in the water from the sea wall was quite safe. When I had a rat in the garden at our new place I was astounded to see what I had to go through to get a half decent air rifle these days. How times change.

And Garry, I agree, after a number of years target shooting with an air rifle, and time spent in the army, it's amazing how many people thing accurate shooting is "easy" after watching the TV....

I’ve got a S400 with Walnut stock. A lovely weapon and as you said, very accurate.

The Weirauch is a great springer also

C

I don't shoot animals (except for rats) with airguns, I use cartridge rifles for pest control on humane grounds, and I don't do paper punching either, but I started off doing that, many years ago. This thread reminds me of a club that I used to belong to . . .

Once a month we had a plinking session, basically all sorts of junk such as tin cans at 25 yards, shot only with air rifles. There were always a few lit candles too, with the show-offs shooting out the flames without hitting the wax bit. These would always be left until last. Anyway, one day some bright spark thought it would be good to put out a gas lighter refill that still had plenty of gas in it, and he placed it between two lit candles:)

The club secretary wasn't amused, but everyone else was:exit:

Was the club secretary the one who would've got reamed if someone had had to go to hospital to have lighter refill shrapnel removed?

Reactions: Nod
Was the club secretary the one who would've got reamed if someone had had to go to hospital to have lighter refill shrapnel removed?
Just a flash of flame 25 yards away, so very unlikely.

Somewhere lurking in my loft are my medals from the days when I used to go all over the UK competition air rifle shooting.

I used to have a Feinwerchbau SU300 side lever 177 competition rifle and a Weirauch HW77K for running boar target shooting. I was quite good in the day.

I also dabbled in 10m, started off with a FWB 300S and ended up with a FWB 601, not really that good, but enjoyed it a lot.
My wife was better than me, she had a pistol that used Co2, strangely enough needed a FAC for that.

I don't do paper punching either,

I do lots of paper punching nowadays. Mainly cause I enjoy it but in part cause the nearest productive hunting is 3 hours away. Sadly it’s cheaper to sell my rifle over here ang get a new one when I return to the Uk at the end of the year

I do lots of paper punching nowadays. Mainly cause I enjoy it but in part cause the nearest productive hunting is 3 hours away. Sadly it’s cheaper to sell my rifle over here ang get a new one when I return to the Uk at the end of the year
Fair enough. I used to be passionate about it, many years ago - but I lived in London and it was just about the only type of shooting I could do, at a 25 yard .22 range. Over time I got into full bore target shooting at Bisley and got my qualifications, but I was still limited because of the travelling distance and the cost. Eventually I moved to Yorkshire and was then able to replace rifle shooting with English Sporting Clays, which I find to be much more fun and much more dynamic, but we're all different.

Fair enough. I used to be passionate about it, many years ago - but I lived in London and it was just about the only type of shooting I could do, at a 25 yard .22 range. Over time I got into full bore target shooting at Bisley and got my qualifications, but I was still limited because of the travelling distance and the cost. Eventually I moved to Yorkshire and was then able to replace rifle shooting with English Sporting Clays, which I find to be much more fun and much more dynamic, but we're all different.

I have a .22lr. I only tried it cause a rim fire rifle is on the same licence as a shotgun here and there’s a 50 m range 10 minutes drive away.

I still prefer clays, especially a sporting layout but sadly most clay grounds here are down the line which is ok but has limited entertainment value. The nearest sporting layout is at a ground 2 hours away. One of many reasons I’m looking forward to coming home in October

I have a .22lr. I only tried it cause a rim fire rifle is on the same licence as a shotgun here and there’s a 50 m range 10 minutes drive away.

I still prefer clays, especially a sporting layout but sadly most clay grounds here are down the line which is ok but has limited entertainment value. The nearest sporting layout is at a ground 2 hours away. One of many reasons I’m looking forward to coming home in October
I sympathise. I've tried most or all of the clay disciplines but only enjoy English Sporting. I'm lucky, because there are 3 very good sporting clubs within half an hour of where I live, and another 3 commercial ones. I used to be pretty good and did a fair bit of competition shooting, but age has caught up with me now and my scores have slipped, but I still enjoy it, and that's what matters.

I sympathise. I've tried most or all of the clay disciplines but only enjoy English Sporting. I'm lucky, because there are 3 very good sporting clubs within half an hour of where I live, and another 3 commercial ones. I used to be pretty good and did a fair bit of competition shooting, but age has caught up with me now and my scores have slipped, but I still enjoy it, and that's what matters.

When I get back Bisley is around 30 minutes from home. Even with the current changes to their lease their sporting layouts are great. I’m looking forward to shooting there again

Last edited:
Nice. I've been looking into getting an air rifle more and more recently. I have a .243 and a Sako TRG 42 .338lm from when I used to be a gamekeeper and I still live on the land where I can use them. I can literally walk out my door b*****k naked with the .338 without getting into trouble and shoot till my hearts content, but they're so expensive for willy nilly messing around. I load my own rounds but that only shaves off so much from buying branded boxes. There's something appealing towards air rifles and having a quiet plink in the garden with my boys instead of watching my bank go into the red with every shot lol. I wouldn't know where to start though. There's so many nice air rifles it's a minefield.

Nice. I've been looking into getting an air rifle more and more recently. I have a .243 and a Sako TRG 42 .338lm from when I used to be a gamekeeper and I still live on the land where I can use them. I can literally walk out my door b*****k naked with the .338 without getting into trouble and shoot till my hearts content, but they're so expensive for willy nilly messing around. I load my own rounds but that only shaves off so much from buying branded boxes. There's something appealing towards air rifles and having a quiet plink in the garden with my boys instead of watching my bank go into the red with every shot lol. I wouldn't know where to start though. There's so many nice air rifles it's a minefield.

Excuse me while I recover from drooling over what you have already.
If you have that lot would you not be better off with a nice silenced .22 RF ( my silenced BRNO .22 with subsonic ammo was quieter than an air rifle)

I load my own rounds but that only shaves off so much from buying branded boxes. There's something appealing towards air rifles and having a quiet plink in the garden with my boys instead of watching my bank go into the red with every shot lol. I wouldn't know where to start though. There's so many nice air rifles it's a minefield.
All of my own centrefires run on homeloads (except for my .303 because they're very cheap in relative terms) and I find that the savings are pretty massive, in addition to the other benefits.
If you have that lot would you not be better off with a nice silenced .22 RF ( my silenced BRNO .22 with subsonic ammo was quieter than an air rifle)

Good point. As you say, a modified .22 LR with subsonic is almost silent, and the ammo cost is also very low. And (at least with my own rifles and ammo setups) they're very accurate at point blanc range, which with my setups is 67 yards.

And a .22 rimfire is much cheaper than an air rifle too.

Does anyone remember the days when there used to be .22 ranges at fairs and on amusement piers like Hastings. The ones I remember, used to be five shot repeaters a bit like Winchesters.

All of my own centrefires run on homeloads (except for my .303 because they're very cheap in relative terms) and I find that the savings are pretty massive, in addition to the other benefits.

Good point. As you say, a modified .22 LR with subsonic is almost silent, and the ammo cost is also very low. And (at least with my own rifles and ammo setups) they're very accurate at point blanc range, which with my setups is 67 yards.

You are not going to drop a bunny at 67 yds with an air rifle, BTW what did you use the .338 for( big and very noisy even with a moderator) , red at 200 yds , wild boar?

Excuse me while I recover from drooling over what you have already.

Cheers, I'll have to look into that. Never shot one myself but it sounds interesting (y)they can handle my .243 Tikka with ease but not quite ready for the .338lapua. Can't wait :cool:

You are not going to drop a bunny at 67 yds with an air rifle, BTW what did you use the .338 for( big and very noisy even with a moderator) , red at 200 yds , wild boar?
I've never used the .338 on any animals. I just got it for long range practice and personal enjoyment. My .243 was my workhorse for reds and foxes.

Does anyone remember the days when there used to be .22 ranges at fairs and on amusement piers like Hastings. The ones I remember, used to be five shot repeaters a bit like Winchesters.

We had Diana air pistols when I was a youngster, shot each other sometimes especially with the BB

Back