Airline friendly carry on bag for long lens

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
Does / has anyone travelled with long lens and taken it as carry on? What bags have you used / got that are big enough for long lenses and are carry on friendly?

I use a think tank Ultralight for my holiday needs,it can fit a lot of gear for the normal landscape holiday,but when needed it can comfortably fit my 300 f2.8 converters bodies and bits. Very light and within the cabin bag measurements of Ryanair etc. Never been questioned regarding weight or size.

I have had it quite a while so I don't know if its still available??

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/think_tank_photo_airport_ultralight/

Which lens(es), which airline(s)? There is quite wide variation in carry-on allowances from one airline to another. I wrote a blog post last year where I tabulated the maximum dimensions and weights of carry-on bags for about 60 major airlines:
http://lensesforhire.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/flying-with-your-photographic-equipment.html
a 400 f2.8 and FX body minimum. Another body and couple of lenses if they fit would be good too. Major long haul aircraft 747/380/787

I've got a Think Tank Aiport Accelerator. Bit pricey but the best bag I've ever had for carrying a long lens.

Will take a 500 f4 with the hood reversed attached to 1DX and a 300 f2.8 attached to another 1DX with a bit left over at the end for batteries etc.

Or perhaps the Airport commuter.

As Stewart said, be aware of the airline's specific size and weight limits. If necessary, be prepared to stick some bits in a pocket or 2 to get the bag under any weight limit.

As Stewart said, be aware of the airline's specific size and weight limits. If necessary, be prepared to stick some bits in a pocket or 2 to get the bag under any weight limit.

Cheers, the weight is going to be the problem it's purely getting the stuff I don't want checking in to fit a carry on bag.

I rarely fly with cameras and lenses but last year I flew to Calgary with my Lowepro Vertex 200 with a 300F2.8, extenders, couple of smaller lenses and a 1DX. I was worried about the weight so I double checked and found that my max carry on was 23 Kilos! Exactly the same as my checked in baggage allowance. I went with BA.

Depending on the amount of gear you carry - what I do is have smaller lenses and few bodies in my back bag... then one body attached to my Canon 200-400mm lens in my hand. No bag at all... had never been asked to put that in a bag...so I get my bag, plus the lens+body in my hand.

Back