Airline travel

I took a CF tripod in my hold baggage a month or so ago and it survived (Thompson Airline) as has a lighter weight one, several times. Since we return to the same place every year, I've left it there (but not because I thought it was too vulnerable!) For the past few years, I've also brought back several sea urchin tests (empty "shells") wrapped in bog roll in a Tupperware box. Must have brought back 30 or so and only had 2 break (and I suspect that they were cracked before packing anyway!) I've also packed a netbook in hold baggage a few times (now banned due to it containing LiIon battery) with no ill affects. Wouldn't trust baggage handlers with valuable camera kit though! I should add that my case for the past 3 years has been more of a wheeled hold-all than a case.

I took a CF tripod in my hold baggage a month or so ago and it survived (Thompson Airline) as has a lighter weight one, several times. Since we return to the same place every year, I've left it there (but not because I thought it was too vulnerable!) For the past few years, I've also brought back several sea urchin tests (empty "shells") wrapped in bog roll in a Tupperware box. Must have brought back 30 or so and only had 2 break (and I suspect that they were cracked before packing anyway!) I've also packed a netbook in hold baggage a few times (now banned due to it containing LiIon battery) with no ill affects. Wouldn't trust baggage handlers with valuable camera kit though! I should add that my case for the past 3 years has been more of a wheeled hold-all than a case.
I don't want to change the thread but are the tests for a scientific study?

No, I'm planning on making a light up board of them using LEDs as the light source. I have a good source of the tests so collect a few every time we visit that beach. I have 2 types, one is the ubiquitous black spiny one that can be found in most nooks and crannies and the other is more ovoid. Waiting until I have a few more then I'll PVA dip them and have a play.

P1000366.jpg

Last edited:
Would certainly advise caution ... I never put anything valuable in the hold of a plane. :police:

Im flying to Bangkok & New Zealand with Emirates in a few weeks, i've being made to pack my mavic pro into checked in luggage, part of their policy, i'm not looking forward to that!

Im flying to Bangkok & New Zealand with Emirates in a few weeks, i've being made to pack my mavic pro into checked in luggage, part of their policy, i'm not looking forward to that!

What about the LiIon batteries? IIRC they're not allowed to be in the hold.

Thank God I am not going via the US - I wonder if the unpleasant experience at the airport puts tourists off. I don't think I ever want to go the USA after flying via Miami.

Last time I flew to the states, I had the dreaded 'SSSS' on the boarding pass - bloody nightmare when travelling with three kids and all their electronics. That's a good 10 years ago and I really have no inclination to return because of the hassle.

Last time I flew to the states, I had the dreaded 'SSSS' on the boarding pass - bloody nightmare when travelling with three kids and all their electronics. That's a good 10 years ago and I really have no inclination to return because of the hassle.
What does the SSSS mean? BTW it has not got better.

What does the SSSS mean? BTW it has not got better.

Something about 'secondary security screening' but basically it entails a very very invasive pat down (let's just stay they know whether the gentlemen dresses to the left or right), and every little bit of your hand baggage being pulled out and examined. All electronics have to be powered on and demonstrated as working, and swabs a plenty taken.

Horrible way to start a family holiday.

Something about 'secondary security screening' but basically it entails a very very invasive pat down (let's just stay they know whether the gentlemen dresses to the left or right), and every little bit of your hand baggage being pulled out and examined. All electronics have to be powered on and demonstrated as working, and swabs a plenty taken.

Horrible way to start a family holiday.
Not nice - I wonder what happens if something has a flat battery (our tablet often runs down before we arrive).

Not nice - I wonder what happens if something has a flat battery (our tablet often runs down before we arrive).
If you can't show it working, you can't take it onto the plane. They may allow you to go to one side and plug it in to show it working, but if you can't do that, they'll confiscate it.
AFAIK, there are no provisions for the return to the owner of confiscated items.

What about the LiIon batteries? IIRC they're not allowed to be in the hold.

No, they have to go in my hand luggage, i've bought some lipo bags for them.

Is this a general airline policy? I'm planning to take my mavic pro on holidays soon.

It seems to be just Emirates, although, there are probably others that i haven't encountered yet. You can check individual airlines policies on their websites,

WRT the tripod question, I am just traveling back from the US and while I didn't bring my camera with me (work trip with no time :(), saw a tripod in hand luggage on the side of a camera rucksack. Seemed to get through fine. That doesn't mean that would always happen (not sure what the official rules are), but in that instance it was fine.

WRT the tripod question, I am just traveling back from the US and while I didn't bring my camera with me (work trip with no time :(), saw a tripod in hand luggage on the side of a camera rucksack. Seemed to get through fine. That doesn't mean that would always happen (not sure what the official rules are), but in that instance it was fine.
There was a guy with a tripod in front of me last week at Gatwick - it was one of the bigger video ones, but he was allowed to take it through security (not sure whether it got on the plane later though a often larger items are still put in the hold at the gate if the flight is busy).
Security did make him take it all apart and it went through the xray machine a few times, so some debate, but he got through!

Got through security at heathrow with tripod attached to side of backpack yesterday, no problems. I'd forgotten the tripod had retractable spikes in the feet too.

I thought I'd post an update on this as I am currently in America having flown here on Saturday.
I can't comment on the tripod as mine was in the suitcase, however my camera and lenses were in my backpack inside an f-stop case. My tablet and kindle went in a tray on their own and when I asked about the camera, they said it could stay in the bag. This was the same when we went through the scanners prior to our second flight in Toronto. All in all easy and painless

If you want to take a lot on to a plane then obviously a jack / fleece with good deep pockets is need. Plus look at some combat trousers as I had a pair with big side leg pockets.
Have a look at some thing like this
https://guide.alibaba.com/shopping-guides/waistcoats-for-men.html

Once I am on the plane I take everything out my combat pockets, jacket and put it in a draw string bag that was folded up in my pocket and push it under your seat.
Sorted

Back