Alamy for sport anyone?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone submit live sports pics to Alamy

No and I can't say I know anyone who does. Know several photographers who submit news/weather and landscape photos to Alamy on an almost daily basis, who also shoot football and cricket however don't submit those to Alamy but go elsewhere instead.

I know from seeing stuff passing through Twitter that they tend to get plenty of national paper publications on the news/weather shots. Often see clippings from the red tops with pictures of crowded beaches etc.

May be an indicator that it's not worth the effort when it comes to sport though?

Last edited:
What made you think of that?

Couple of things and I was actually forward thinking.. I am one of those people who plan very very far ahead.. life plan the lot :)

Its looking like papers are going to keep going to the cheaper options for lower league (1 and 2) and not paying out 100 plus quid a pic... I will NOT go down the rex/shutterstock route as i would rather just not be published than get those prices.. however I saw a post on a PRO photogtpahers faecbook page saying alamy pays way more than rex/getty etc ... so i looked and they do have a LIVE SPORTS contributors section... So I just thought I would ask whats what..

not thinking of doing anything about it other than checking out my options if I am proved right and old stock or poor long pull agency pics are consistantly chosen over mine :)

Couple of things and I was actually forward thinking.. I am one of those people who plan very very far ahead.. life plan the lot :)

Its looking like papers are going to keep going to the cheaper options for lower league (1 and 2) and not paying out 100 plus quid a pic... I will NOT go down the rex/shutterstock route as i would rather just not be published than get those prices.. however I saw a post on a PRO photogtpahers faecbook page saying alamy pays way more than rex/getty etc ... so i looked and they do have a LIVE SPORTS contributors section... So I just thought I would ask whats what..

not thinking of doing anything about it other than checking out my options if I am proved right and old stock or poor long pull agency pics are consistantly chosen over mine :)

As an experiment over winter, when we had all the snow, I sent Alamy a few frames of my two pooches playing in a field. Got used in the Sun, quite small and I think I ended up receiving £35. Not bad for a 20 minute walk up the road I was doing anyway, and pretty much zero effort on my part aside the one upload.

I thought that's what it was. A good idea I must say. I would like if it if all the togs got together and just did what you are doing. I am certainly for it. I could not care less about Rex/ Shutterstock.

It is clear now that at the begining of last season an agreement had been reached with the nationals and certain big agencies not only to compel the smaller agencies and freelancers to go through Rex but to also take the big agency shot no matter how crap over the excellent celebration / goal shot over the smaller agency / freelance.

I know of at east one agency that will not go through Rex. I would like it if more would follow suit and fight back by saying to the nationals you take from us or you don't have pics. I am at a loss as to why the nationals caved in to the big agencies demands!

I know of at least 4 togs that have packed up ,and one who works for a local paper who did not have one single shot in the nationals all last season after having appox 15-20 each season before last.

Beware big agency togs frequent these pages.Yes you know who you are! :wave:

Last edited:
I thought that's what it was. A good idea I must say. I would like if it if all the togs got together and just did what you are doing. I am certainly for it. I could not care less about Rex/ Shutterstock.

Its just not going to happen.. nice thought.. would absoloutly change things but unfortunatly like flogging a dead horse... What really annoys me more than anyhting is the old school pro photogrpahers preaching about devaluing the industry and teling you to value your own work etc then the same poeple are moaning about the 50 pence they got for a half page pic in a national :(

It is clear now that at the begining of last season an agreement had been reached with the nationals and certain big agencies not only to compel the smaller agencies and freelancers to go through Rex but to also take the big agency shot no matter how crap over the excellent celebration / goal shot over the smaller agency / freelance.

this is my thinkign BUT not 100% sure .. as i was doing League 2 last season them hmm will try a few months this season as its all league one and if I see the same pattern and perfect shots sent live get overlooked for long pulls sent at half time or stock of players in old kits ...then i need to make a decision.. as I say that wouldnt be rex/shutterstock absoloutly not.. hence ask about alamy .. best to ask if anyone any experience but thats not looking like it..... might as well not waste my time sending to any... nationals have always been an extra.. i work for the local paper get paid by them and (was sometimes the club now every game) so get paid OK for a match...

I know of at least 4 togs that have packed up ,and one who works for a local paper who did not have one single shot in the nationals all last season after having appox 15-20 each season before last.

I got one good showing n the nationals last season and thats from a league winning team.. some of the stuff they used was embarresing.. as you say seasons before i got published at least once a month in the sun..

Not getting published in nationals wont effect me so much as i say ..its always been a bonus revenue stream and i would like it to continue.. it didnt last season .. lets try league one but if not then i wont bother.. not for a fiver... certainly not for les re rex...

Last edited:
Are there any images from the English leagues on the Alamy live sports section Tony ???

Are there any images from the English leagues on the Alamy live sports section Tony ???

no idea.. havent looked to be honest.. was just a though.. options and all that so i thought good to ask in here...

The agency I work for have, in the last week said they will be using Alamy from now on, as getting images published as an independent agency is becoming increasingly difficult.

The agency I work for have, in the last week said they will be using Alamy from now on, as getting images published as an independent agency is becoming increasingly difficult.

So you as the photographer will get an 80% cut in fees? Alaay don't pay a lot to the providor (your agency) and then you get what? 70%

So you as the photographer will get an 80% cut in fees? Alaay don't pay a lot to the providor (your agency) and then you get what? 70%
The fee we will get has not been disclosed (surprise suprise) but I can't see it being much. Will it be worth it, probably not, will I continue, yet to decide.

The fee we will get has not been disclosed (surprise suprise) but I can't see it being much. Will it be worth it, probably not, will I continue, yet to decide.

I suppose the agency needs to get enough published for the licence..

But seriously... I had a football pic published in one of the nationals last saturday.. should get about 160 quid for it.... god knows how many shutterstock rex alamy would have to be published to equal that... I would rather the odd picture now and then at a decent rate than loads at a tenner each : ( However i agree it is getting harder and mine are less and less.. the more agencies going this route and thats soon to be the norm and nobody will get published at a decent rate..

I always see nationals as a bonus so dont depend on them..i dont do spec games and i get plenty in regionals for my licence ....

A match on spec for 10 or 20 quid IF published... not good i wouldnt think :(

I suppose the agency needs to get enough published for the licence..

But seriously... I had a football pic published in one of the nationals last saturday.. should get about 160 quid for it.... god knows how many shutterstock rex alamy would have to be published to equal that... I would rather the odd picture now and then at a decent rate than loads at a tenner each : ( However i agree it is getting harder and mine are less and less.. the more agencies going this route and thats soon to be the norm and nobody will get published at a decent rate..

I always see nationals as a bonus so dont depend on them..i dont do spec games and i get plenty in regionals for my licence ....

A match on spec for 10 or 20 quid IF published... not good i wouldnt think :(

I agree with you. I was discussing this with other Togs as regards Rex. The togs all need to say "sorry we are not going out through Rex that's it up yours newspapers"
" we will be at the match togging and if you want the photos you take from us" If you go to Rex you will see a blank page".

I don't understand why the smaller agencies are putting up with the crap returns through Rex. There are already two agencies that have told Rex to Sex and Travel.

Now Alamy are trying it!

They papers, Rex, Alamy, Getty,AP and big agencies are all conniving together on this.

Just got an email from the SUN a few minuts ago.. £200 for one pic used... How many REX pics need publishing for the photographer to get 200 quid ?

Problem is a couple of seasons ago this was every other week.. not its every other month if that .. and getting worse

Just got an email from the SUN a few minuts ago.. £200 for one pic used... How many REX pics need publishing for the photographer to get 200 quid ?

Problem is a couple of seasons ago this was every other week.. not its every other month if that .. and getting worse
Good man. This just shows how the p*** is being taken by Rex ect.

Well, I think I have had enough of 'the big time'. Not worth the hassle, especially as nobody sees the fruits of your labour. The main reason I take photos is so people can see them.
I'm supposed to be at AFCB v Man Utd. next Saturday but I won't be doing it.

Someone who has a licence needs to set up a website as per Rex were photos can be downloaded to and bought by the papers from. So that togs can get a decent rate.

I don't understand why one of the smaller agencies have not done this. It all seems to be down to having the balls to say to the newspapers here are the photos at this rate and we won't be going through Rex so you won't have any photos.

It cannot be that difficult due to the paltry rates via Rex. Just don't supply them.

I know two agencies that won't go through Rex. But now Silver Simons agency has crumbled!

Someone who has a licence needs to set up a website as per Rex were photos can be downloaded to and bought by the papers from. So that togs can get a decent rate.

But theres your problem.. the papers will still go rex shutterstock etc because they are cheaper.. they already get pics from licence holders as we email them direct (which is easier than them downloading the pics) .. they wont use ours unless they have no alternatives.. which includes decent stock they would prefer to use :(

I don't understand why one of the smaller agencies have not done this. It all seems to be down to having the balls to say to the newspapers here are the photos at this rate and we won't be going through Rex so you won't have any photos.

It cannot be that difficult due to the paltry rates via Rex. Just don't supply them.

I know two agencies that won't go through Rex. But now Silver Simons agency has crumbled!

I work for an agency, I don't own one, who have just announced they are going through Alamy and we will get a reduced rate.

But theres your problem.. the papers will still go rex shutterstock etc because they are cheaper.. they already get pics from licence holders as we email them direct (which is easier than them downloading the pics) .. they wont use ours unless they have no alternatives.. which includes decent stock they would prefer to use :(

Nail. Head.

Yes I am with you there.

But the newspapers can only go to Rex if Rex have the photo and if all the togs just said we are not going out through Rex then the papers have to take from the togs via email direct.

I have spoken to many togs about this and all say if I were the licence holder I would not go through Rex the rate is far to low. As you have said how many photos does one need through Rex to match one via email direct? at least 10. That is the anomaly Rex are far to low. For some reason the licence holders are not apply pressure on Rex. Fear of not meeting the required amount for licensing is my guess.

I also think there are a lot of Togs who could not care less about getting paid as long as they get pitch side with a big camera and they can tell their mates. It's just not feasible cost wise the distances some of these togs are travelling, even from the bigger agenices. They are basically paying the newspapers!

Bur the nationals are still prepeared to pay £200 a pic so how have all these middle men got in the way of the guy taking the photo? It's barmy!

I work for an agency, I don't own one, who have just announced they are going through Alamy and we will get a reduced rate.
Thanks.

Now that is interesting because I think Alamy are new to supply sports pics like this. So that should then create compertition with Rex, and in that respect Alamy if they want agenies to go through them then they should offer a better rate than Rex.

Do you now what rate Alamy is offering per pic?

Thanks.

Now that is interesting because I think Alamy are new to supply sports pics like this. So that should then create compertition with Rex, and in that respect Alamy if they want agenies to go through them then they should offer a better rate than Rex.

Do you now what rate Alamy is offering per pic?

No, sorry. We haven't been given any details of the new rate ...... Just that it won't be as much! ;) To be expected of course.

I think you are right about Alamy, very little of current league football/rugby on their site. There have been some albums but they were from a good few years ago.

Back