Alaska Planning

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning a trip to Alaska this July. Can anyone assist with ideas on where to go?

I have up to 4 weeks. More likely 3 (purely due to cost).

I'm early in the planning phase, but need to sort this ASAP so I can start booking accommodation. It books up really fast.

My only thoughts so far are:
- ~4 days in Denali NP
- Wrangell St Elias
- Kayak somewhere around Kenai Fjords NP

Ideas are very welcome, or sharing of experiences from previous trips.

I've always wanted to get out to AK, and I am fortunate to get a lot of time off work this year, so can make it work.

One issue I've noticed so far is that car rental is ridiculously expensive. Eg. £500/week for a small car. However, there currently seems to be an option of a truck for half the price from Hertz. Not sure a truck for all the driving will be fun, but it is AK, so maybe it makes sense!

Thanks

I am planning a trip to Alaska this July. Can anyone assist with ideas on where to go?

…in July!!! :eek:

Find first thing the way to the closest general store
and stack up on any anti-bug method… better still,
get a bit of every repellant strategy! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Would I be better off pushing this into August a little?

Your decision Matt…

but all I can tell you is many went there and had there "expensive"
holidays somewhat disturb by the hungry blood suckers!

"Sure, we had a fantastic time but the mosquitoes…" :jawdrop:

See if you could read some trip reports from visitors!

I am in AK now. This place is incredible. I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys the outdoors and huge scenery! (and that isn't too scared by the wildlife!).

A couple of highlights so far and to show that July isn't exactly a bad time to be here...
- 20+ bears at times, and 15+ for nearly 6hrs catching salmon at Brooks Falls in Katmai
- Back country camping/hiking in Wrangell St Elias NP

Here's a quick shot to give an idea of Brooks Falls...!
View media item 13275

I was there in late August in 2010.
As you've already mentioned, Denali national park is well worth a visit.
Too be honest all the places I visited were nice, getting chatting to some Alaskan natives and they'll give you some good tips for places to visit.
Boat trips to see Whales etc are well worth it and you'll find organised trips for Bear watching as well.
Bald head eagles are plentiful so you'll get some decent photos.
I've travelled quit a bit and Alaska is one place I intend on returning to one day for photography.
When I was there it was quite expensive but that's simply because they have to import a lot of goods.

One issue I've noticed so far is that car rental is ridiculously expensive. Eg. £500/week for a small car. However, there currently seems to be an option of a truck for half the price from Hertz. Not sure a truck for all the driving will be fun, but it is AK, so maybe it makes sense!

In US most people don't drive small cars. You can have one but you will have to pay dear for the privilege. I am sure you will be more than happy with a truck, being able to go off road which is nearly certain in Alaska. It feel great to drive something huge. Enjoy.

I am in AK now. This place is incredible. I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys the outdoors and huge scenery! (and that isn't too scared by the wildlife!).

A couple of highlights so far and to show that July isn't exactly a bad time to be here...
- 20+ bears at times, and 15+ for nearly 6hrs catching salmon at Brooks Falls in Katmai
- Back country camping/hiking in Wrangell St Elias NP

Here's a quick shot to give an idea of Brooks Falls...!
View media item 13275

Very jealous of that. And the fresh wild salmon.

4 days in Denali seems a bit long to me, it is 'the destination' but really once you've been in the park (which you have to do on the bus) that's about it, do stop at Telketna on the way through though, odd but very fun nightlife. The best thing to do is rent a small RV, it will be cheaper in the long run and leaves you free to go where you want, there are campsites everywhere (or you can just stop anywhere and camp) and they are generally in better locations than the hotels.

Down south of Anchorage is much better, the 27 Glacier cruise from Whittier is probably one of the best things we've ever done, camping at Hope is amazing, Seward is a bit odd but fun, Camping at the end of Homer Spit is awesome.

We did Brooks Lodge but it will be booked up already as that is prime season, you will be able to arrange a flight there to see the bears but it will be a long trek and you'll only get to see the bears for 20 minutes after a 2 hour queue. It is an amazing place though, we were there on the shoulder season and there as hardly anyone there but some fishermen, we saw the first bear salmon catch of the year. T0 see bears get one of the Katmai bear flights from Homer.

Brooks Lodge: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157671534955511
Whittier cruise: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157667951364123
General Alaska: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157670611736816

edit: just to add, we've been all over the world and done all sorts of things and camping through Alaska is, I think, the best.

Last edited:
I fly home tomorrow but would certainly say that Alaska has been incredible. I would strongly advise anyone into landscape or wildlife photography to visit. The opportunities are everywhere.

My trip had a lot of breathing room in it to account for weather difficulties or general changing of mind. I've been to the US a lot (25 national parks, 25+ states), and wanted to keep this trip a little less rushed.

The weather has generally been very good. Not a huge amount of rain, and even some 80f+ days.

I have seen so many bears, moose, caribou, eagles, whales, etc...

I ended up with a Jeep Grand Cherokee from Hertz which worked well. I did the least miles I've ever done on a US road trip though (~3,500).

Bet part was Wrangell St Elias NP. Go there, and do it properly by getting out into the back country. Truly immense scale to the place.

Worst part was probably Talkeetna. Though I had an excellent cabin there, but the small town is horrendously touristy and I'd say to be avoided!

Your decision Matt…

but all I can tell you is many went there and had there "expensive"
holidays somewhat disturb by the hungry blood suckers!

"Sure, we had a fantastic time but the mosquitoes…" :jawdrop:

See if you could read some trip reports from visitors!

Oh dear then the photographer will need some kind of repellent. Maybe previous travelers/photographers didn't do that??

Back