Aldi Spotting scope

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Bit late in the day but Aldi have some 20-60x spotting scopes in today for £25. I figured it has to be worth a go if even only for the kids to use. The offer runs till Sunday but they will have them around until they sell out.

Will let you know if it's any good once I get home and have a chance to have a play.

Well the included tripod is rubbish. Far too sticky to be useful even at 20x, 60x just doesn't work as you can't frame at all. I've now got it mounted to a £35 camlink tripod which is 100x better and perfectly useable even at 60x. The rotating ring sticks a bit too but not a big deal as I doubt I'd use this a lot or need that level of fine control.

Optically it's surprised me. 20x is clear and has reasonable contrast, giving a pretty good field of view. 60x is noticeably softer and less contrasty, on a photo lens this would be a disaster, on this I really don't think it is. I can still see reasonably fine detail clearly. There is a lot of CA however at 60x, but again not a deal breaker at this price.

The focus control is really nice, smooth and slightly damped. Has pretty fine control so this does mean lots of spinning for long changes.

My main gripe is the focus changes massively as you change magnification, which makes the locate at 20, zoom to 60 awkward. The eye relief also changes from just useable with glases at 20x to no chance at 60x.

Other than that while the objective cover is attached the eyepiece isn't, I can see that going missing pretty fast.

So while no Leica, it's not priced like one either and will certainly be serviceable if you're on a budget.

Aldi and Lidl have some good deals on photo related stuff from time to time, I got a graphics tablet from Lidl a while ago and it's great for the price I paid.

I'm pretty pleased to read your review on this. I bought one for my husband as a spur of the moment extra birthday present yesterday. We go to our local RSPB reserve every month or so, and he gets a bit frustrated when i can see stuff through my lens that he can't. Bins aren't much use for him as his left eye has really poor vision, so i thought for £25 i'd see how he gets on lol.

Got a clear night for the first time since I got this so I had a look at the moon.

Clear and sharp even at 60x, some blue fringing but I could clearly see the 3d craters on the shadow line and I could even see that atmospheric effects as tiny little waves.

For those of you who got one, is the eyepiece bit detachable? Can you attach a dslr mount adaptor to it?

Back