Answered Alerts seem to have given up completely

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't seem to be getting alerts from most threads I follow. I regularly mark all forums as read which used to then mean that I got alerts for the first new post in a thread but that does not now seem to happen. I have seen several threads over the last few days where after marking all as read and then a couple of hours later going to the New Posts list there have been new posts in the list for followed threads for which I have not received alerts.

Is it possible that you marked it read before you had actually read them all, Chris?
or maybe not "turned a page" and there was still some un-read?
If you don't respond or open a page that you are following, your'll get no more alerts for that thread.

Mine are working fine BTW

edit, I've checked your settings and all is as it should be..

Last edited:
I find there's a few threads that I regularly contribute to where I don't always get an alert when someone has replied....it's inconsistent though.
Can be fine for a few days

Last edited:
Is it possible that you marked it read before you had actually read them all, Chris?
or maybe not "turned a page" and there was still some un-read?
If you don't respond or open a page that you are following, your'll get no more alerts for that thread.

Mine are working fine BTW

edit, I've checked your settings and all is as it should be..
As I said, I'm sure it used to be the case that if I marked all threads as read they were considered read whether I had visited the thread or not. If after marking all threads read someone posted I got a notification but that no longer seems to be the case.

Here's an example, I marked all as read 5 minutes ago, I am watching "Has anyone had a vaccine jab" but no alert

1610127913690.png

The plot thickens ... after I posted the above I went into alerts and there was an alert for the Vaccine Jab thread but the red number next to the alert icon hadn't appeared as can be seen from the above.

The plot thickens ... after I posted the above I went into alerts and there was an alert for the Vaccine Jab thread but the red number next to the alert icon hadn't appeared as can be seen from the above.
No idea in that case Chris
I guess this is a job for superman @Marcel

It makes me think it could be a browser issue rather than a site issue, if the browser isn't refreshing properly and so the alert icon isn't updating. That said there are HTTP headers than can be set to force the browser to update (something to do with page date/time IIRC) unless of course Firefox isn't honouring those headers.

I find there's a few threads that I regularly contribute to where I don't always get an alert when someone has replied....it's inconsistent though.
Can be fine for a few days

Maybe they are trying to tell you something Bob :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

thats exactly what happens for me (I use chrome) the alerts are there (always? usually? not sure tbh) but the flag doesn't work

I'd like to wake this up as it's just bitten me too. I'm getting alerts for most Watched threads but not for one I created and I wasn't notified about an associated PM which caused some embarrassment. My preference settings looked fine to me but I did add an alert for content I create. FWIW I'm on Firefox 87.0.

but I did add an alert for content I create.
From your profile page

Watch content on creation
Yes with email No
Watch content on interaction
no, with email No
I've now set to yes,
there was the issue :)

Thanks but would that have accounted for the lack of notification of a PM?

Thanks but would that have accounted for the lack of notification of a PM?
Yes its all the same thing. It comes under the same umbrella as it were.

Ah, gottit. And I have now received notification of a new posting to that conversation so your changes have worked.

Back