All images are blurry on auto and manual focus (Sigma 150-500mm)

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Not happy.

It seems that my Sigma 150-500mm has gone kaput and I don't know why. I took it out last week and all was fine, but some days after I upgraded the firmware on the camera and then I decided to delete all my camera settings and start fresh as I've changed my ways of focussing. When I use the lens now it doesn't focus on anything. Compared to my other lenses, they're fine.

This image was taken Aperture Priority, handheld

Focused on edge of shelf
1/80 (It doesn't matter what shutter speed I use the image is still out of focus)
f5
ISO 400
150mm

full

Manual mode on tripod, focused on metal leg

1/25
f6.3
ISO 100
174mm

full

All these were taken in Aperture Priority on a tripod

1/125
f5
ISO 320
150mm

Auto focus
full

Manual focus
full

1/20
f5
ISO 320
+2 EV
150mm

Focused on eye
full

1/25
f6.3
ISO 320
500mm

Auto focus

Focused on eye - Auto focus
full

Focused on eye - Manual focus
full

Last edited:
thread updated

Does your camera have the lens adjustment (focal). I remember in the d300 there was a menu item to manipulate the lens attached by very small amounts to assist with front/back focussing without needing to meddle with the lens.
Maybe see if you have that option, otherwise check with sigma and the canon on possible problems...?

Does your camera have the lens adjustment (focal). I remember in the d300 there was a menu item to manipulate the lens attached by very small amounts to assist with front/back focussing without needing to meddle with the lens.
Maybe see if you have that option, otherwise check with sigma and the canon on possible problems...?

Yes my camera has micro adjustment

Not jumping to conclusion, not to worry though as wont offer more advice (y)

Suit yourself, but if you had read my thread, you would have noticed I mentioned that it doesn't matter about the shutter speed, every image I take isn't in focus. And I didn't think it mattered that I had a slow shutter speed given that the shots were taken on a tripod.

Suit yourself, but if you had read my thread, you would have noticed I mentioned that it doesn't matter about the shutter speed, every image I take isn't in focus. And I didn't think it mattered that I had a slow shutter speed given that the shots were taken on a tripod.
The first image at 1/80 was handheld though.
Too slow for checking focus handheld....
You need to try and identify if the issue is definitely the lens....
Although some are on a tripod, did you use the timer or a remote to actuate the shutter?
I'd be trying outside in better light so you can use a higher shutter speed and see how it fairs.

Last edited:
2sec timer

Put a tape measure or ruler on the floor, use a tripod, shoot along it and focus on a known point. Then check the image and see what point on the tape is in focus, this will give you and idea if it is front or back focusing.

From the photos you've posted I can't tell if your lens is front focusing. Can you place a focal point half way along a shelf (perhaps 5 AA batteries standing upright with about 1cm between each of them and focus on the middle one) and photograph it at an angle of about 20 degrees, so we can see each battery in line, one behind the other, so we can see which one is actually in focus?

Try this at 150mm, 300mm and 500mm. Put your camera on a tripod to do this (to eliminate camera shake and to ensure the camera angle remains exactly the same for each shot - otherwise you'll just be wasting your time by introducing unknown variables) and take 3 sample photos at each focal length to see if the results are consistent.

This test helped me establish that my Sigma 100-400 was front focusing, and I used the sigma dock to correct it. I can post some more about doing that if it's necessary.

Last edited:
Put a tape measure or ruler on the floor, use a tripod, shoot along it and focus on a known point. Then check the image and see what point on the tape is in focus, this will give you and idea if it is front or back focusing.

Focused on the 20cm. I don't see any front or back focusing

full

Ok this is only a thought, once on the tripod did you turn off the IS ?

Ok this is only a thought, once on the tripod did you turn off the IS ?

Yes always do :)

Edit: I always have it on the '1st' setting on the lens out in the field. The second setting is for panning. I've tried that setting and there's more shake, so never used it.

Last edited:
Looking at the photos of the toy, it's about what I'd expect in terms of sharpness at 1/25 second hand held at 500m - in fact I think you've done rather well if those were the conditions it was taken in, also bearing in mind the lack of sharpness that seems to be applied when posting photos directly on this forum, rather that via a Flickr hosting link.

You definitely need to use a tripod when testing lens sharpness to rule camera shake out of the test. Also, uploading images to Flickr and using that to embed the images here should allow us to click on the image and view at a larger size. (y)

PS Also, don't forget you'll have a shallow depth of field when shooting with the aperture wide open at 400 and 500mm, which will amount to not much more than the point you've focussed on. I mention this as it's more obvious with telephoto lenses and if you've been used to shooting mainly at less than 70mm for a while then this can easily be forgotten. So if comparing current results from your lens against ones you took before you changed your camera settings, then do take into account the f number and DoF. Hope this is useful.

Last edited:
I guess everyone's idea of acceptable sharpness is different, the pics look fine to me.

All images were taken on a tripod except for the first image.

I'll do the battery thing (or whatever I can find 3 of) when I can.

@Mr Badger I used to have Flickr but deleted my account as I stopped using it.

All images were taken on a tripod except for the first image.

I'll do the battery thing (or whatever I can find 3 of) when I can.

@Mr Badger I used to have Flickr but deleted my account as I stopped using it.

I see. On carpet, floorboards, or even laminate flooring laid on a concrete floor, a tripod can still produce camera shake at 1/25 second as it can pick up movement or vibration from people moving about (even rocking back and too slightly while standing next to the tripod can do it!) so I'd want at least 1/250 (using a remote shutter release or the camera's self timer) to rule out movement as a factor at 400 or 500mm on a tripod. You may be able to get away with a slower speed in 'real life', but for test purposes things need to be spot on.

If trying the battery thing then 5 are better than 3, as it gives a greater depth to assess the focus over - it will show you just how shallow that DoF is at 500mm wide open too. Try not to lose your temper when trying to balance the batteries, I had to wait for a still day when testing the focus on my 100-400 lens at different distances outdoors, as the bloody things kept blowing over! :LOL:

Last edited:
It seems that my Sigma 150-500mm has gone kaput and I don't know why. I took it out this week and all was fine, but some days after I upgraded the firmware on the camera and then I decided to delete all my camera settings and start fresh as I've changed my ways of focussing. When I use the lens now it doesn't focus on anything. Compared to my other lenses, they're fine.

So we know it was fine before you did the camera update, so do you have another lens just to see if that will focus fine, only a thought ?

They look in focus to me? You say you've deleted all your camera settings, what do you mean by that? Are these jpegs or Raw? If they're Raw then they look absolutely fine they just need processing. If they're jpeg, when you deleted your camera settings has that reduced the sharpness etc applied to the jpeg by the camera?

Agree with the poster above. You've done a camera firmware update and then removed all your camera settings but you're blaming the lens? You've made two massive changes to your camera body so I'd say the problem lies there

Last edited:
Those results look about like what I would expect SOOC from that lens at the extremes (min/max FL wide open)... the 500/6.3 images actually look a bit better than I might expect.

Put your camera into live view and zoom into 100%... that will show you a 1:1 pixel level view of the motion/magnification you are trying to eliminate. I bet you will be surprised at how much it moves around at 500mm, even on a tripod.

Last edited:
They look in focus to me? You say you've deleted all your camera settings, what do you mean by that? Are these jpegs or Raw? If they're Raw then they look absolutely fine they just need processing. If they're jpeg, when you deleted your camera settings has that reduced the sharpness etc applied to the jpeg by the camera?

Agree with the poster above. You've done a camera firmware update and then removed all your camera settings but you're blaming the lens? You've made two massive changes to your camera body so I'd say the problem lies there

I changed settings back on my camera. I never shoot JPG.

I've been out taking shots of birds twice. I deleted all of the first batch because they were no good. I went again this morning and I gave up. The images on the back of the camera are blurred and there's no way of bringing them back with sharpening.

So we know it was fine before you did the camera update, so do you have another lens just to see if that will focus fine, only a thought ?

My others lenses are fine. No problems

I changed settings back on my camera.

I still don't know what you mean by that sorry. But in any case, surely the first thing you should try is putting your camera back to however it was setup previously? If you were happy with the images then, and you're not now, then I'd say that's a fairly strong indication of where the problem is.

I still don't know what you mean by that sorry. But in any case, surely the first thing you should try is putting your camera back to however it was setup previously? If you were happy with the images then, and you're not now, then I'd say that's a fairly strong indication of where the problem is.

I very much doubt I've done anything on the camera to change how the Sigma focuses.

I changed the camera back to the settings I was using before I reset the camera.

I tend to agree with Richard above on the camera, as the lens worked fine then goes to pot after the firmware update.

I can't remember what firmware I had previously and there isn't a way of downgrading is there?

I very much doubt I've done anything on the camera to change how the Sigma focuses.

I changed the camera back to the settings I was using before I reset the camera.

If a5D MkIV is anything like my 80D there's a vast set of sub-menus governing AF performance and tracking. Your camera settings are the only thing that's changed here so I really would concentrate your efforts there. Or send the lens into Sigma for service if you're truly convinced the lens is at fault. No idea about reverting Canon camera firmware, not something I've ever looked into but I'd imagine a quick Google will turn up all the information you could ever hope to know about it

My tracking is back to where it was before I reset the camera

Can't afford a Sigma Dock

There is https://magiclantern.fm/index.html but camera isn't supported and I don't want to risk damaging it

Last edited:
Back