All the gear no idea, lesson learned

Name
Studio488
Edit My Images
No
I own a studio with more gear than Jessops :) as such people think you are a photographer (including myself) now don't get me wrong I know a lot about what we do and that's works and is very successful. But......

So I have shot a couple of events, and a wedding for a friend (its not even close to what we do, but I have the gear right !) so thought ok, its a free meal and a bit of entertainment, I will take a bit of gear take a few pictures............So we get there with just enough time to set up, not enough time to test, the lighting inside was rubbish, the events organiser were dropping things on me like massive group shots and other bits, we got away with it, but only just.

So I learned a couple of lessons, gear can help but only to a point, and photography you don't do on a regular basis is not a simple as it seems :) in fact its very, very difficult. never again, unless we get some training!

Anyone else over estimated their ability and realised this whilst actually in the thick of it?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
Firewalking!!

I reckon I could nail it a 2nd time, but there'll never be a 2nd time.

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Walking or shooting it? ;)

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Gah!! Romany friends christening, in the winter, baby has more insulation than I have, "Take a shot, he's freezing" baby is boiling btw, "Why didnt you get a group shot?" umm cause you ran him to the car fearing for his life on a november afternoon?

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Gah!! Romany friends christening, in the winter, baby has more insulation than I have, "Take a shot, he's freezing" baby is boiling btw, "Why didnt you get a group shot?" umm cause you ran him to the car fearing for his life on a november afternoon?
I do find you have to take note when you ask to take a photo, or there's an opportunity
and you get turned down or something else happens taking your clients away from having photos taken. Later following delivery your client asks why you didn't take a certain photo you have to remind them what actually happened on the day!!

Name
Tommy
Edit My Images
No
Not really ever felt this.

Over the years I have shot a fair bit of different stuff in terms of paid work.

Weddings and other social events.
Commercial photography including everything from fashion too food.
Model portfolio's.
Studio stuff, families, head shots for actors etc.
A few football games including a couple of internationals.
Boudoir
Glamour

I don't think equipment, having or lacking really comes into it really. I guess it comes down to confidence in your own ability. Confidence comes from knowing your craft. The only thing I have ever "struggled" with is Landscape photography just from a point of view of never really being personally happy with the results. I have still been able to sell Landscape images though.

I guess for some they get so ingrained in what they always do that they then lack confidence when they try something else.

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX
Edit My Images
Yes
Every Day is a Learning day :)

I don't take on jobs unless I know I can do them...... Hence why i don't do weddings. People think because I am a professional photogrpaher that I can shoot weddings.. But I can't.. Commercial photogrpahy.... Baby shoots..... I don't take them on because I don't think I can do them justice...

The photogrpahy i do.. I took years learning at the lower level where results didn't matter...

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Many years ago I was talking to someone who is a very highly respected photographer in the social photography world. I told him I was buying a new camera. 'It won't make you a better photographer' he said. He was right. I didn't buy it.