All the gear no idea, lesson learned

Studio488commercial

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I own a studio with more gear than Jessops :) as such people think you are a photographer (including myself) now don't get me wrong I know a lot about what we do and that's works and is very successful. But......

So I have shot a couple of events, and a wedding for a friend (its not even close to what we do, but I have the gear right !) so thought ok, its a free meal and a bit of entertainment, I will take a bit of gear take a few pictures............So we get there with just enough time to set up, not enough time to test, the lighting inside was rubbish, the events organiser were dropping things on me like massive group shots and other bits, we got away with it, but only just.

So I learned a couple of lessons, gear can help but only to a point, and photography you don't do on a regular basis is not a simple as it seems :) in fact its very, very difficult. never again, unless we get some training!

Anyone else over estimated their ability and realised this whilst actually in the thick of it?

Firewalking!!

I reckon I could nail it a 2nd time, but there'll never be a 2nd time.

Walking or shooting it? ;)

Gah!! Romany friends christening, in the winter, baby has more insulation than I have, "Take a shot, he's freezing" baby is boiling btw, "Why didnt you get a group shot?" umm cause you ran him to the car fearing for his life on a november afternoon?

Gah!! Romany friends christening, in the winter, baby has more insulation than I have, "Take a shot, he's freezing" baby is boiling btw, "Why didnt you get a group shot?" umm cause you ran him to the car fearing for his life on a november afternoon?
I do find you have to take note when you ask to take a photo, or there's an opportunity
and you get turned down or something else happens taking your clients away from having photos taken. Later following delivery your client asks why you didn't take a certain photo you have to remind them what actually happened on the day!!

Not really ever felt this.

Over the years I have shot a fair bit of different stuff in terms of paid work.

Weddings and other social events.
Commercial photography including everything from fashion too food.
Model portfolio's.
Studio stuff, families, head shots for actors etc.
A few football games including a couple of internationals.
Boudoir
Glamour

I don't think equipment, having or lacking really comes into it really. I guess it comes down to confidence in your own ability. Confidence comes from knowing your craft. The only thing I have ever "struggled" with is Landscape photography just from a point of view of never really being personally happy with the results. I have still been able to sell Landscape images though.

I guess for some they get so ingrained in what they always do that they then lack confidence when they try something else.

Every Day is a Learning day :)

I don't take on jobs unless I know I can do them...... Hence why i don't do weddings. People think because I am a professional photogrpaher that I can shoot weddings.. But I can't.. Commercial photogrpahy.... Baby shoots..... I don't take them on because I don't think I can do them justice...

The photogrpahy i do.. I took years learning at the lower level where results didn't matter...

good equipment doesn't make a photographer , knowing both the limitations of yourself and equipment does make a difference , as well as confidence and the willingness to learn new skills. I have a problem with landscapes, I have neve done one I'm happy with, but I keep trying.
i try to follow the KISS Method (Keep It Simple Stupid). I never try new techniques on a job , unless i have to. try and stick to what you know works , in between jobs set challenges its safer than messing up a job . my next challenge is green screen work , i have the gear but have never tried it

Last edited:
Many years ago I was talking to someone who is a very highly respected photographer in the social photography world. I told him I was buying a new camera. 'It won't make you a better photographer' he said. He was right. I didn't buy it.

New kit could well bring better abilities and give you more options. Imagine having a Canon 20D and someone telling you a Sony A7III wont make you a better photographer. Well, if being a better photographer involves getting the shot in focus with focus bang on the eye, being able to focus accurately just about anywhere in the frame rather than just with a central point and with a silent prayer maybe a few points clustered around the centre, being able to shoot at science fiction levels of ISO and still getting a useable picture and other stuff like that then getting the new kit will help you be a better photographer. So there's that.

good equipment doesn't make a photographer , knowing both the limitations of yourself and equipment does make a difference , as well as confidence and the willingness to learn new skills. I have a problem with landscapes, I have neve done one I'm happy with, but I keep trying.
i try to follow the KISS Method (Keep It Simple Stupid). I never try new techniques on a job , unless i have to. try and stick to what you know works , in between jobs set challenges its safer than messing up a job . my next challenge is green screen work , i have the gear but have never tried it

And at the risk of repeating myself. Good equipment may get you a technically better result or even a picture when the old kit would have got nothing. Is that being a better photographer? Well, if the really good photographer gets you nothing and useless me at least has a print to show you then it's at least a brownie point to me :D

I know some like to say that it's not the kit it's the photographer but sometimes it has to be a combination of both and even heresy to say it I know it's more the kit, pure and simple.

Last edited:
Yes.

In the 90's I shot Canon FD gear, a T90 and associated lenses.

I had a press pass and was taking pictures weekly at Brands Hatch for a local rag.

A mate of mine asked me to do his wedding.

No problem says I.

So, borrowed a flash and turned up to the wedding having never met his fiancee, or shot a wedding.

He's from the Caribbean and dark as a dark thing.

His future missus looked as if she'd never seen the sun in her life. Lily white I think the term is.

I shat myself proper but God knows how but I made a success of it.

There was detail in the dress and you could still see him, all of him.

On that day I vowed never again would I shoot a wedding............ until my daughter asked me.

Last edited:
Back