All things related to Android phones & tablets

Might well be worth a try on one of them as factory reset seems to not help, how would I go about installing a custom rom?
Head over to the XDA forums and you will find countless threads on how to get a custom rom installed on the hudl

Help!
I don't know what they are called but I'm getting swamped by some form of message that I didn't know I'd asked for. There are not texts, or e-mails. They appear with a little round circle At the top of my screen. They are coming mainly from two sites - Mirrorless Rumours and Fuji Rumours. I hardly read them but can't find a way to unsubcsribe. There is nothing on the message to allow me to unsubscribe. Seems that every time I look at my phone I have two or three of these and I'm getting annoyed.
What sort of message are these, and how do I stop them coming through?

Help!
I don't know what they are called but I'm getting swamped by some form of message that I didn't know I'd asked for. There are not texts, or e-mails. They appear with a little round circle At the top of my screen. They are coming mainly from two sites - Mirrorless Rumours and Fuji Rumours. I hardly read them but can't find a way to unsubcsribe. There is nothing on the message to allow me to unsubscribe. Seems that every time I look at my phone I have two or three of these and I'm getting annoyed.
What sort of message are these, and how do I stop them coming through?

Have you looked in your notifications settings and turned anything off that relates to those sites?

There's nothing that I can see, but then I'm not sure where to look or what I'm looking for.

Unless you've installed something like a forum reading app for the Rumours sites, I'd guess these are notifications from your web browser. I have all notifications blocked for my main browser under Settings->Notifications. Your browser should also have site-specific notification settings, e.g. for Chrome:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've checked under notifications and there is nothing showing, so I don't think I've given permission. Presumably they have taken it for granted.
I've found out what the symbol is and it is titled Samsung Link.
I don't want to block everything because that would seem to block useful stuff like my calendar reminders.
@micheal23 - it might be RSS but not fully understanding that I've never knowingly signed up to it. Sod'S Law says that I've not had anything so far today, so I'll just have to be patient.

Thanks guys. I've checked under notifications and there is nothing showing, so I don't think I've given permission. Presumably they have taken it for granted.
I've found out what the symbol is and it is titled Samsung Link.
I don't want to block everything because that would seem to block useful stuff like my calendar reminders.
@micheal23 - it might be RSS but not fully understanding that I've never knowingly signed up to it. Sod'S Law says that I've not had anything so far today, so I'll just have to be patient.
I have noticed when on the laptop it asks if the site can send notifications with an allow or block, I'm sure I have seen it when browsing on my phone too, it would only send a notification when they put on a new post. I assume if it is accidentally clicked it would come through as rss.

Not seen a red bell anywhere.
I've gone into Notifications and blocked everything except certain sites which I've given priority to.
Annoyingly today is the first time for weeks that I've not had a stream of notifications from them for me to peruse. Alternatively I could have cured the problem.

Should have got an iPhone [emoji57]
Had one of those. Glad to get rid of it:eek:

Think I might have got to the bottom of this. Fingers crossed.
This afternoon I had three alerts, one from a firm offering me the chance to invest in Bit coins.
One telling me of the availability of glamourous grandma's in Prague. "All you could want - and more". How did they know I'm going there in June?
And the last was offering to help my daughter through her third semester and prepare her for college. I've never had a daughter, or been to the good old U S of Trump!

Anyway...I played around largely following, and adapting @michael23 's suggestions, and deep, deep down on one of the messages I found somewhere offering to clear notifications from FujiRumours, Google and a couple more places whose names I didn't recognise. I suspect most of today's stuff was coming via Google from something I've searched for. So I said yes. Let's see what happens.

Annoyingly today is the first time for weeks that I've not had a stream of notifications from them for me to peruse. Alternatively I could have cured the problem.

Might be worth unblocking temporarily as an experiment, to see if this is actually the cure.

One telling me of the availability of glamourous grandma's in Prague. "All you could want - and more" ... I suspect most of today's stuff was coming via Google from something I've searched for. So I said yes. Let's see what happens.

Don't worry, we won't judge you. :)

I have a problem with my Amazon Fire 7 tablet. It won't respond to touch commands; so I can't take the tablet off the main screen you get when you power the device on.

I've tried repeatedly powering the tablet on and off (which is the only thing I can do) to no effect.

I got onto Amazon who couldn't resolve the issue; so they've replaced it. The just arrived replacement -so far - seems fine. Not unreasonably; Amazon have asked me to send the faulty machine back.

What concerns me; is that I would be returning something with my personal information on. At the moment this is not accessible as you can't switch the machine on. But should Amazon repair it; my info would then be accessible unless they do a factory reset I presume.

Not sure if there is any way to delete may data before I return the machine - I can't see how this is possible.

And if I can't delete my data; I'm not sure what to do.

Ideas appreciated.

I have a problem with my Amazon Fire 7 tablet. It won't respond to touch commands; so I can't take the tablet off the main screen you get when you power the device on.

I've tried repeatedly powering the tablet on and off (which is the only thing I can do) to no effect.

I got onto Amazon who couldn't resolve the issue; so they've replaced it. The just arrived replacement -so far - seems fine. Not unreasonably; Amazon have asked me to send the faulty machine back.

What concerns me; is that I would be returning something with my personal information on. At the moment this is not accessible as you can't switch the machine on. But should Amazon repair it; my info would then be accessible unless they do a factory reset I presume.

Not sure if there is any way to delete may data before I return the machine - I can't see how this is possible.

And if I can't delete my data; I'm not sure what to do.

Ideas appreciated.
You could try the hard reset yourself. A HARD reset should work by just using the hardware buttons. :

1. Starting with the Kindle Fire off, press and hold “Volume Down” and “Power” simultaneously. The Amazon system recovery screen should appear.
2. Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to “wipe data/factory reset“.
3. Press the “Power” button to choose the selection..
4. Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to “Yes — delete all user data“.
5. Press “Power“.

https://www.technipages.com/soft-hard-reset-kindle-fire

If that wasn't the right device, search for hard reset.

Last edited:
You could try the hard reset yourself. A HARD reset should work by just using the hardware buttons. :

1. Starting with the Kindle Fire off, press and hold “Volume Down” and “Power” simultaneously. The Amazon system recovery screen should appear.
2. Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to “wipe data/factory reset“.
3. Press the “Power” button to choose the selection..
4. Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to “Yes — delete all user data“.
5. Press “Power“.

https://www.technipages.com/soft-hard-reset-kindle-fire

If that wasn't the right device, search for hard reset.

Thanks for that. Those are the steps that the Amazon support guy got me to go through with no success.

I'll try it (yet) again; but I'm not optimistic.

If I don't get it sorted; I still have the dilemma of returning a device with my data on it....

Thanks for that. Those are the steps that the Amazon support guy got me to go through with no success.

I'll try it (yet) again; but I'm not optimistic.

If I don't get it sorted; I still have the dilemma of returning a device with my data on it....

Can't imagine for one minute that Amazon will bother trying to fix a fifty quid tablet.

Other option is destroy it yourself and write the cost off against your peace of mind

No they won't. And that's the real problem. They will ship it out to God knows who for a tenner or so. Then @Uncle Fester 's data is out there and some geek will know how to get to it. And then what?

Is there any empirical evidence that Amazon flog off broken devices for a tenner to rascals

Looks like its time to fight fire with fire then or even better nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure

Is there any empirical evidence that Amazon flog off broken devices for a tenner to rascals
There's no empirical evidence that they will fix it themselves, as you have said.
Given the relatively low resale value of the item major players are hardly likely to be interested. That leaves the lower end. And the lower end tend to have fewer scruples. Lots of generalisations but would you trust your data to such an uncertain future?

If you have been chat comms with them I would open a new chat with the specific purpose of raising this important security matter.

Part of that chat might to ask "are they able to 100% reassure you that the item will not be resold....... without a factory reset should they repair it"

Saying without that reassurance in writing with a known referable UK based Amazon officer, you will not return it......so how can they help with a complete solution including data protection!

Problem solved! :)

After, yet again, following the instructions mentioned in Ian's post above; it finally worked after about another dozen attempts.

Not sure why it worked this time; maybe I depressed the buttons for longer this time - but it worked.

I was able to reset the machine and delete my data. I then rebooted the machine which went to the set up screen.

I thought that the touch screen issue might have been fixed; making me look like a nob when I return the machine to Amazon.

But no; the touch screen still doesn't work. There is a language select option and continue buttons which don't respond to touch; so at least Amazon will see the issue is genuine.

I was fully prepared, if there was no alternative, to destroy the machine to protect my data. Only a small loss on a cheap tablet - I'm sure I would have felt differently if this dilemma had happened with a Ipad Pro...

Back