All things related to Android phones & tablets

Here's a little something I found out about recently, some of you may already be aware of it but it was news to me.

Google have an app called google rewards. If you install that they will periodically send you very short surveys to answer. Ie have you recently visited xxx, rate the service out of 5, that kind of thing. For each one you complete you receive credit to use in the play store. Not a lot, 9p here, 32p there, I think I got nearly a whole £1 for a one line review of a hotel I stayed at, but it all adds up.

I just had a trial version of a car dash app I was using expire and just bought the full version out of the credit I build up over the last couple of weeks.

Ive been using google rewards for just under a year and in that time i have amassed just over £18.....perfect for those playstore purchases as you say.

I do avoid answering the questions re personal income though as in my eyes its personal for a reason.
Screenshot_2017-07-06-20-03-08.png

Iv'e not had any personal questions like that yet, I shall keep an eye out.

The most proffitable ones I have found so far are when you are asked to write a review in your own words, ie for hotels, restaurants etc.

Data roaming still turned on?

Mobile signal round here is variable - sometimes it's brilliant and some days it's barely there. I can tell when signal is bad because the phone battery runs down in 2/3 the time it does when things are good.

Here's something I don't get, the other day I was told there is an issue and the mast is being worked on, today still nothing, advisor says nothing about mast issues, try this,try that. I shall resend settings, tried numerous times. Imlooking through the menu and the vpn is empty, nothing there, they then give me the details to input manually and the fields they say to fill don't match the fields on my phones menu. What a headache!

Anybody know how to change the date format on Nougat?

I've set the language to UK English which is supposed to be the only control you need but the stock Calendar app still displays as 7/24. Even when I flip to French (where I believe they use dd/mm/yyyy) it stays as 7/24 (though in a very cool way the day names become French....)

Anybody?

BTW I'm using the stock calendar app because I can't seem to deactivate it and if I use the Google one then Arrow launcher keeps asking me which to use. Yes, I remember when phones were for making phone calls.

Oh and in case anybody was wondering, the Blackview BV7000 seems to be a pretty nice phone for the money. Only downside is that it's visible from space.......

I've been locked out of my android tablet by device security (after a reset), I don't remember the account that was used to set it up...

Bought the tablet in August 2016, used it for about 4 months and then didn't need it for a while. Tried using it recently but couldn't remember the screen lock pattern so I did a hard reset. It will only accept the "owner" account that was used to set it up, only problem is, it doesn't actually say what that account is so I could attempt account recovery on Google.

I was using a Windows phone back then and would have used a temporary sim on my spare (android) phone, that sim is long gone.

Is there any way to find out what account the tablet is expecting? Any other options Google/Acer?

Tablet is Acer Iconia A3-A40 on Android v6.x

Thanks.

I've been locked out of my android tablet by device security (after a reset), I don't remember the account that was used to set it up...

Bought the tablet in August 2016, used it for about 4 months and then didn't need it for a while. Tried using it recently but couldn't remember the screen lock pattern so I did a hard reset. It will only accept the "owner" account that was used to set it up, only problem is, it doesn't actually say what that account is so I could attempt account recovery on Google.

I was using a Windows phone back then and would have used a temporary sim on my spare (android) phone, that sim is long gone.

Is there any way to find out what account the tablet is expecting? Any other options Google/Acer?

Tablet is Acer Iconia A3-A40 on Android v6.x

Thanks.
The gmail address you used will have emails from google on it. Log in to your emails and search for google.

Anybody know how to change the date format on Nougat?

I've set the language to UK English which is supposed to be the only control you need but the stock Calendar app still displays as 7/24. Even when I flip to French (where I believe they use dd/mm/yyyy) it stays as 7/24 (though in a very cool way the day names become French....)

Anybody?

BTW I'm using the stock calendar app because I can't seem to deactivate it and if I use the Google one then Arrow launcher keeps asking me which to use. Yes, I remember when phones were for making phone calls.

Oh and in case anybody was wondering, the Blackview BV7000 seems to be a pretty nice phone for the money. Only downside is that it's visible from space.......
Try in display settings, that's normally where you'll find time/date settings.

Here's something I don't get, the other day I was told there is an issue and the mast is being worked on, today still nothing, advisor says nothing about mast issues, try this,try that. I shall resend settings, tried numerous times. Imlooking through the menu and the vpn is empty, nothing there, they then give me the details to input manually and the fields they say to fill don't match the fields on my phones menu. What a headache!
If you are desperate, try "Reset Network Settings" under Settings. On some phones that's under "Backup and Reset". On my Samsung I found it under "Settings /General Management /Reset.
You want to trigger your network to resend the mobile data configuration. But I've never done this. So only do it if you have nothing to lose.

The gmail address you used will have emails from google on it. Log in to your emails and search for google.

I have searched but unfortunately not that simple. I moved to Android phone recently but still don't use gmail, any emails received from google when the tablet was setup would have gone to the new gmail account on the backup phone. The backup phone was used with the EE £1 500MB for 7 day sims (when needed and then discarded). Due to low specifications (Huawei y300) the phone was reset when it slowed down. The current google account on that phone is not recognised by the tablet, so a new account was probably created at some point.

I'll see if Acer have any support options and send them the Argos receipt for the tablet.

I have searched but unfortunately not that simple. I moved to Android phone recently but still don't use gmail, any emails received from google when the tablet was setup would have gone to the new gmail account on the backup phone. The backup phone was used with the EE £1 500MB for 7 day sims (when needed and then discarded). Due to low specifications (Huawei y300) the phone was reset when it slowed down. The current google account on that phone is not recognised by the tablet, so a new account was probably created at some point.

I'll see if Acer have any support options and send them the Argos receipt for the tablet.
Have you tried a factory reset from the bootloader menu? This will wipe personal data and reset back to factory at a point before any passwords are required.
Rough guide in this link
http://www.hardreset.info/devices/acer/acer-a3-a40-iconia-tab-10/

Have you tried a factory reset from the bootloader menu? This will wipe personal data and reset back to factory at a point before any passwords are required.
Rough guide in this link
http://www.hardreset.info/devices/acer/acer-a3-a40-iconia-tab-10/

That's how it was reset, but there is a new security feature called "Factory Reset Protection". It's to stop stolen devices from working after a factory reset. Good in theory but they haven't implemented it very well (imo). All security questions always lead to initial gmail address that was used or the phone number. The device doesn't show what email account is required.

Try copying the settings from your wife's phone.
If you are desperate, try "Reset Network Settings" under Settings. On some phones that's under "Backup and Reset". On my Samsung I found it under "Settings /General Management /Reset.
You want to trigger your network to resend the mobile data configuration. But I've never done this. So only do it if you have nothing to lose.

Thanks, I got it sorted, after carphone exchanging the handset for another, it still didn't work, no text or anything, put my sim in a g5 moto and it recieved the data setting text within a minute, it didnt do this on the p8 lite 2017, so I ring them up again, and got a very helpful chap, went through the settings manually whilst onthe phone and it worked, his words were, there are some members of staff who don't know all the little tricks, told me to put less info in andworks a treat. I still don't know how the other handset lost all the settings though, maybe a bug in the software of the phone.

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner app for android. I'm currently using AVAST but noticed that I still manually have to clear data via the application 's setting on my tablet

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner app for android. I'm currently using AVAST but noticed that I still manually have to clear data via the application 's setting on my tablet
For removing unwanted junk, I have CCleaner which is OK. Nothing terrific. I also had ES File Explorer. Which would do the same. However the free version is supposed to be annoying.

I've just tried CC but still have to manually clear out the cache. Is this something specific to android?

I've just tried CC but still have to manually clear out the cache. Is this something specific to android?

Not 100% sure but im sure from Marshmallow (Android 6) onwards cache has to be cleared manually)

Found them in advanced settings on my nougat build.

Ah yes.

I have....

Automatic date & time (use network provided time)
Automatic time zone (Use network provided time zone)
Set date (greyed out due to above)
Set time (greyed out due to above)
Select Time Zone (greyed out due to above)
Use 24-hour format - selected.

Nothing that allows me to choose the date format :(

I *think* that it's Arrow Launcher not honouring the locale. Which kind of figures as it's written by Microsoft.... :)

Ah yes.

I have....

Automatic date & time (use network provided time)
Automatic time zone (Use network provided time zone)
Set date (greyed out due to above)
Set time (greyed out due to above)
Select Time Zone (greyed out due to above)
Use 24-hour format - selected.

Nothing that allows me to choose the date format :(

I *think* that it's Arrow Launcher not honouring the locale. Which kind of figures as it's written by Microsoft.... :)
What make of phone are you using, if it's the brands stock calendar calendar would make it easier to work out for you. I will have a quick look into arrow launcher to see if that could be an issue.

What make of phone are you using, if it's the brands stock calendar calendar would make it easier to work out for you. I will have a quick look into arrow launcher to see if that could be an issue.

Thanks.

Blackview BV7000.

Do you have a screenshot of your stock calendar, because my calendar in nougat displays the date as "25th July 2017"

Yes, all other calendars I install show the date as 25th July. This is the stock one on the phone. I'd really rather not use it but it can't be uninstalled or disabled and if I have it and another calendar installed then every time I open an item Arrow asks me which one to use. There doesn't seem a way to specify a default calendar. It's making me think of switching to Google Now launcher :(

Here's what it looks like with the sensitive stuff blurred.

screen.png

Yes, all other calendars I install show the date as 25th July. This is the stock one on the phone. I'd really rather not use it but it can't be uninstalled or disabled and if I have it and another calendar installed then every time I open an item Arrow asks me which one to use. There doesn't seem a way to specify a default calendar. It's making me think of switching to Google Now launcher :(

Here's what it looks like with the sensitive stuff blurred.

View attachment 106964
I'm at a loss until I have a go with the launcher. Seems like an odd thing to be missed, especially by Microsoft.

I'm at a loss until I have a go with the launcher. Seems like an odd thing to be missed, especially by Microsoft.

OK so this is weird......

Arrow shows "useful stuff" on a side page. If you like it then you can pin any of the sections to a new page. I did this with my calendar and every time I open an event it asks me which calendar to open it with. What I tried just now was to create a new page and then add a calendar widget to it. That behaves.....differently. TL;DR: if I do it this way I can just use Google calendar app which gets the dates right :)

OK so this is weird......

Arrow shows "useful stuff" on a side page. If you like it then you can pin any of the sections to a new page. I did this with my calendar and every time I open an event it asks me which calendar to open it with. What I tried just now was to create a new page and then add a calendar widget to it. That behaves.....differently. TL;DR: if I do it this way I can just use Google calendar app which gets the dates right :)
I find getting used to new launchers is hit and miss for the first few months. I've stuck with Nova for the simple fact I know how it works and where all the menu items are.

For anyone who doesn't want to suck up to Google for everything, you can switch your calendar and contacts and other backups away from Google to your own storage:
1) On the web, sign up to any free 'Nextcloud' host. (If you need more than 5Gb backup, paid plans are available.)
2) On the phone add the DAVdroid app that does the synchronisation of Contacts and Calendar. davdroid.bitfire.at
3) Enter address and password of the host into DAVdroid.
4) Set your phone Calendar app to show the DAVdroid and not the Google events.
5) Switch off Google account sync in your phone. You are now free! And you can change host at any time to any one that suits you. Then just swap out the address and password in DAVdroid.

To move any existing data across:
1) Export Calendar and Contacts from the Google account website, or your phone.
2) Import them on the phone or the host to the DAVdroid account.

Last edited:
I presume this is following some sort of upgrade but Google is becoming more of a PIA than ever.
I've started getting regular alerts telling me about the bus schedules round here. I get alerts telling me there is a pub 1/4 mile away. I even get alerts telling me what is in the Guardian newspaper.
I'm on Galaxy 3. SWMBO is on Galaxy 6 and she has been given the option to stop these alerts. I have not been given the option and can't find anywhere to stop these dammed things coming through.

Anyone on here had the same problem and sorted it out?

Back