"all you need is a good camera"

I said technically less than perfect shots... not technically wrong.
I was referring to misplaced focus, and perhaps placing the point of interest in weak positions compositionally, though only in a graphic sense can Composition be thought of as technical. as it is mainly instinctive / artistic in nature.
In these digital days, exposure is hard to define as wrong or right, as it very much depends on what you are trying to achieve.
In film days there were definite cut off points both in highlights but more so in shadows. and the contrast of an entire set of negatives was largely set by the development.

To day while some highlight recovery is certainly possible, it is easy to open up shadows by several stops. And contrast, both locally and overall, can be controlled, at any stage by the use of curves.
To a quite large extent control of exposure and contrast of the final image, is passing to the PP stage.
In the camera, exposure is more a matter of capturing the necessary tones that you need to work with.... especially without clipping the highlights. The SOC image may look quite unpromising, but could have captured everything needed to create that perfect image.

All that said, I prefer to see an interesting image than a perfect but sterile one.
Awsome point man I agree with all you've said l

Well, I can only comment on what you said rather than what you were thinking......

By using post processing in the darkroom or computer to create a "scene as I saw it" is by definition an interpretation of what was actually there, surely?

I wrote this blog post a few years ago, I've moved on a bit since then, but the Ansel Adams quotes and my pictures give you an idea of what I'm talking about, although I think we are in broad agreement.

https://blog.mechanicallandscapes.c...er-articulating-your-vision-photographically/

Love those photos BTW, very interesting seeing the before and after...agree with your points on post processing too, I don't think an image is complete without processing it.

Last edited:
To day while some highlight recovery is certainly possible, it is easy to open up shadows by several stops. And contrast, both locally and overall, can be controlled, at any stage by the use of curves.
To a quite large extent control of exposure and contrast of the final image, is passing to the PP stage.
In the camera, exposure is more a matter of capturing the necessary tones that you need to work with.... especially without clipping the highlights. The SOC image may look quite unpromising, but could have captured everything needed to create that perfect image.

All that said, I prefer to see an interesting image than a perfect but sterile one.
Yes to all that!

Back