All you need to know about Stoke on Trent

I'm sorry but there is no defence for Stokies...... Oatcakes are a crime against food and should be banned. :D

Tell you what though Simon, that's a cracking shot.(y)

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I'm sorry but there is no defence for Stokies...... Oatcakes are a crime against food and should be banned. :D

Andy

I couldn't possibly comment.

I like living in these parts and wouldn't want to be driven out by vigilantes.

Theyt sounds layke a proper Stokie.......dust go ter Noath Wheels fer the 'olidays?

Chris
Cos wey do. Used fer go Llandidno an' then got all posh an' went ter The Warren at Abersoch. Nowdees wey go to Sarn.

David - youngest son of Jabez of the Sentinel.

can someone translate all the above for a southerner please :)

can someone translate all the above for a southerner please :)

It's a great thread that Simon started, derailed with the Potteries dialect - sorry Simon. To hear the classic, refined tones of a Potteries accent, can I recommend a listen to.....

Oatcakes, by the way, are a local favourite - something like a fajita but made from oats and make an excellent base to a cooked breakfast.

Chris

No need to be sorry - I'm enjoying it.

I'm an immigrant to the area and I love the accent and the dialect.

A few things I've learned since I've been here.

1. Never admit to not liking oatcakes.

2. Every teacher in the area had Robbie Williams in their class.

3. Never admit to not liking Robbie Williams.

4. Do not, under any circumstances, refer to someone from Newcastle under Lyme as a potter.

5. Staffies are not dogs - they are humans in dog skins.

6. Gordon Banks is God.

7. There be monsters up past Biddulph.

8. It is utterly impossible to wait at a bus stop or stand in a queue without getting into a conversation.

9. Never admit to not liking oatcakes.

10. I love living round here.

:D

A lot of truth there Simon. Gordon Banks was a god when I was at school, closely followed by R J Mitchell.

Chris

Aah yes, Mr. Mitchell.

I love the fact that the Reginald Mitchell primary school in Talke has a Merlin in reception. Brilliant.

Oddly, never having heard of a Stoke oatcake, I've just been reading a book in which a Scot comes down to the area, and comments that they bear no resemblance whatsoever to Scottish oatcakes!

Have you seen Mark Powers exhibition up hanley duck? He's been photographing the 6 towns.

There's monsters around Biddulph mainly due to the in breeding around Brindley ;)

A few things I've learned since I've been here.

1. Never admit to not liking oatcakes.

2. Every teacher in the area had Robbie Williams in their class.

3. Never admit to not liking Robbie Williams.

4. Do not, under any circumstances, refer to someone from Newcastle under Lyme as a potter.

5. Staffies are not dogs - they are humans in dog skins.

6. Gordon Banks is God.

7. There be monsters up past Biddulph.

8. It is utterly impossible to wait at a bus stop or stand in a queue without getting into a conversation.

9. Never admit to not liking oatcakes.

10. I love living round here.

:D

You don't 'go' anywhere there, you 'gee', or, you're 'geein'.
And if you forget someones name, as long as they're at least a day younger than you, ya just call em 'youth'!

'Eh youth' is the standard opener.

You don't 'go' anywhere there, you 'gee', or, you're 'geein'.
And if you forget someones name, as long as they're at least a day younger than you, ya just call em 'youth'!

'Eh youth' is the standard opener.
Better than oi jimmy as my West Coast brethren would address.

Back