Beginner All you photography fanatics - your expertise is required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Haris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys.

Over a year or so, I have been lucky enough to travel a lot and have received huge compliments from friends, family and people on Instagram for my vision in taking pictures.

Here are FEW pics from my Iphone 7 I took few years ago for fun. This fun has turned into a hobby that I am obsessed with. Whenever I go for my walks, I always take the opportunity to take couple of pics.

Anyways........

Looking to invest in a decent DSLR. Ideally, for taking pics of scenery and vlogging too, so 4k would be a huge bonus. My budget at the moment is £600-750. However, this can be stretched. I understand the lens matters too, so taking all this into account - would appreciate if you can give me your recommendations.

Thanks!

I’m a little out of touch with video features as I don’t shoot it, however I’m not sure there are that many actual DSLRs that will shoot 4K just yet, and the ones that do tend to be over budget unless things have changed in the past few months :)

There are a number of mirrorless cameras that will however, and will come under budget. Canon do the EOS M50 which has an APS-C sensor, there are also the mirrorless options from Panasonic and Olympus etc that will shoot 4K. There are plenty of others too, as I say I’m not up to speed with the mirrorless/video side of things but definitely somewhere to start looking.

The other thing that you already know is lenses to look at, do you need something to cover all or are you happy with a fixed focal length? (similar to your iPhone) Fixed length is obviously a little more limiting but the general rule is that they’re better quality and will shoot in lower light.

As above.

As a Youtuber that uses 4K video and likes to shoot photos, I have found there is no perfect beast that does both. It sounds like you may likely go down the Sony route, as they have cameras that can do both, but they will have limitations, I would say M43 is the best route for 4K clogging at the moment, as the stabilisation is fantastic, sand they are smaller. For an alrounder for photography something like a Fujifilm X-T20 and a kit lens is within budget. It also does 4K video, but is limited in that department.

The step up is the X-T2, which has longer 4K abilities, but neither have image stabilisation. I have moved over to Olympus for street videos, but this will be at least twice your budget. The GH5 is also a popular choice.

You can also adapt vintage lenses very easily to mirror less cameras, making good lens options cheaper.

If you have your heart set on a DLSR, I would say go that route and get a gimbal for your phone and shoot 4K on that. Probably the easier option for a kit that needs more than one camera. A Nikon D3300 or D5300 type camera with kit lens is within budget.

Last edited:
Panasonic and Olympus etc that will shoot 4K. There are plenty of others too, as I say I’m not up to speed with the mirrorless/video side of things but definitely somewhere to start looking.

The other thing that you already know is lenses to look at

Yes - I have been looking at Panasonic. And this really caught my eye. The Panasonic lumix series seem to be very popular.

In regards to lenses - my plan is to invest in a camera for now and wait till Christmas/Boxing day to invest in a quality lens.

https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic...VwrHtCh2PpgMGEAQYBSABEgJd2vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

would say M43 is the best route for 4K clogging at the moment, as the stabilisation is fantastic, sand they are smaller.

Thank you, I shall check that out. :)

Yes - I have been looking at Panasonic. And this really caught my eye. The Panasonic lumix series seem to be very popular.

In regards to lenses - my plan is to invest in a camera for now and wait till Christmas/Boxing day to invest in a quality lens.

https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic...VwrHtCh2PpgMGEAQYBSABEgJd2vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thank you, I shall check that out. :)

By M34 i mean Micro Four Thirds. Check out the Olympus OM-D E-M10 mark 3, it does 4k video, and I think is around your budget.

One thing to bear in mind, the Panasonic you’ve picked out is a bridge camera with a smaller sensor than some of the other Panasonic cameras that are micro four thirds. Not that there’s anything wrong with that if that’s what you want, however the larger sensors tend to handle low light etc better.

The lens also isn’t changeable on there, so you won’t be able to swap it for a better one in the future.

Last edited:
As a Nikon shooter :nikon: this hurts, but have a look at the Canon EOS M50. Had one on loan, for a few weeks and it is a great little camera, especially for vlogging. Does do 4k, but with an additional crop, so just a feature added so they could advertise as 4K capable.

By M34 i mean Micro Four Thirds. Check out the Olympus OM-D E-M10 mark 3, it does 4k video, and I think is around your budget.

Yes, I’ve heard good stuff about it. Just confused as to whether I can reverse the screen when I am recording myself selfie mode?

Yes, I’ve heard good stuff about it. Just confused as to whether I can reverse the screen when I am recording myself selfie mode?

Good question. The M43 cameras I have had EM5 Mkii and EM1 Mkii have both had flip screens to see yourself. I have not tried the new em10mkiii.

As a Nikon shooter :nikon: this hurts, but have a look at the Canon EOS M50. Had one on loan, for a few weeks and it is a great little camera, especially for vlogging. Does do 4k, but with an additional crop, so just a feature added so they could advertise as 4K capable.

I’ve heard some mixed reviews regarding that on youtube - especially the comments section LOL.

I can't speak about all manufacturers but the PEN range from Olympus are worth a look the PL9 has 4K and a flip down screen that works in selfie mode.
Olympus specifically target these at the vlogger/instagram photographer.
You don't get a viewfinder which some find a problem for stills but won't be for vlogging.

Panasonic are generally thought to be better at video than the equivalent Olympus models but they share a lens mount and you can chop and change lenses from the two manufacturers

Guys, any advice on following camera? It’s been bookmarked for a while, just need opinion or two.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-60mm Lens

https://m.slrhut.co.uk/product/ID26...MIwYuI5tyh3AIV7pztCh0sZA4gEAQYASABEgLyJPD_BwE
No input on the camera, but would advise you don't buy from SLRHut. It looks like a legitimate business registered in New York; it isn't, they do grey imports. My friend didn't realise this when she bought her camera from them; she got what was obviously an already opened box (admittedly they may have only opened it to include a charger adapter), a warranty that's valid in Asia only. Her own fault, she paid extra for extended warranty ... but has absolutely zero proof she has this, it's listed as 'services' or something like that in her invoice.

You have lots of responses please don't anymore threads on the same subject.
Keep your questions / comments to the one active thread thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back