Almost bought flash...

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks.

Almost - as I have no idea how to bite it, flashguns are completely new to me.

I was advised to go with Nikon SB-700 for it is very reliable and has good features. Later someone chucked in Metz, Nissin and Godox. Of course SB is expensive compared to the rest and doesn't offer that much of a kick, but then again I want reliability and copatibility with my system.

I would use it for portraits mainly, on and off camera, possibly in groups later. Now I have basic body but would like to have some margin for more professional use when I finally upgrade my gear.

What say you, dear members? Stick with SB? Or if not - could you point me towards some other specific models? One of you was already pointing me towards Godox, but I am concerned it will be more of a disposable stuff, which I can't really afford to buy.

I know that it has been asked before, but strangely the more I read, the less I know.

Cheers
Tom

Godox TT@685 and X1 trigger £110ish.

No more less reliable than a Nikon unit, and you can buy a second flash for the money you save. You can also get a Li-on version to save buying AA's.

When I had a Canon setup, I went with Yongnuo flashes. Brilliant and reliable for the cheap price for similar power/features as the Canon/Nikon equivalent.
You could get 2 x YN685 flashes and a YN560 for the price of one SB-700.

I have a sb800 and a shanny sn600sn, happy with both on my D90 and D750.

For OCF I use the yn622n and tx.

For the Short time the tt685 flash have been around i find reliable and rugged enough. I got two of them and an ad360. One of the really nice things about the Godox system is youve got pretty much everything from the smallest speedligh to studio strobes that comunicates with the same trigger.

Thank you all for your comments, appreciate them a lot.

Just went out on the bike to have a casual walk in Jessops, as I wanted to see few flashguns in flesh. Then I had a cheeky peak in Curry's too and just got back home - with SB-700 :D :D :D

Trying not to be a fun spoiler and not upto ruin your joy with the new flash.
One speedlight will suffer trying to light up groups so now youre running straight into compatiblity issues. Either you go out and buy 3 more SB's or you start looking for something more powerfull like studio flash or the portable kind like AD600 or AD360. After a while you get fed up with running 2 systems and get some godox speedlights. What can I say, resistance is futile :LOL:
Enjoy your new toy its fun to play with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have three SB 800's. Sold them as they weren't getting enough use. Decided I should have a flash gun "Just in case". Bought a Nissin because of it's power and features, never really got on with it (probably because I didn't use it enough to become familiar) so I sold it.
Bought an SB900 second hand from the classified section and got on with it straight away. It just does what I ask it to do with no fuss.
Moral of the story?...No idea!

Back