Alternative to Canon Kit Lens

Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone - I'm new to this forum and new to DSLR photography. I'm about to buy a Canon EOS 400d and have read so many reviews about the kit lens that I have decided to buy a different lens from the outset, but would appreciate some help in choosing! Again I have read so many reviews that I'm now getting confused as all of them have their good and bad points. I'm looking at the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens or a Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens. I like the idea of the IS so am wondering whether to go with that but am concerned that its widest aperture is only f4 unless I drop down to the Canon f/2.8 but then I would need to get a telephoto lens too?? I like taking lanscape photograpgy as well as close ups and wildlife. I aim to have two lens but won't be looking at the L range.
Any help / advice would be gratefully recieved.
Many thanks.

The Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens is a pretty average 'sumer lens, but has a good zoom range. I upgraded to the 17-55 f2/8 as it is far sharper, faster and has better IS. It also doesnt suffer from fringing or barrel distortion anywhere near as much as the 17-85. For the longer range I've a 70-200 and dont notice the "gap" in the zoom range.

IS is a definite boon to handheld shots in dim places, but if you are a tripod man then it wont be of great use. That said the little IS switches on my lenses stay on "1" all the time.

Ive not owned the Sigma or the Tamron.

Many thanks for your quick responses... I think the f2.8 lenses are out of my price bracket initially though. It's proving to be an expensive hobby - but a worthwhile and enjoyable one!

An interesting discussion as I'm looking at a replacement for this lens also.

I quite like the kit lens, it produces some reasonable results for what is after all a rediculously cheap lens. However having invested in a couple of L zooms, and an EF-S 10-22 I feel the need to upgrade my walkabout lens.

Luckily (or not) I'm now skint after my recent purchases so can wait and see what the new 18-55 IS kit lens is like, but I expect I'll save up for the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM

Have a look at the sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 for about £200, great lens for the money.

I bought the 400D and I had read bad reviews about the kit lens so I opted for the Sigma 18-50mm DC f3.5 - 5.6. I'm really pleased with if that helps :shrug:;) You can look at my pics on the gallery to see the results, most of them have been taken with this lens.

Quite cheap as well http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod244.html

sorry, didn't read the intro properly,:bonk: didn't realise it was for longer lenses :nuts:

Another sigma 17-70mm fan here (not that i've got mine yet but it's in the pipeline)

I've got the 17-85m IS, granted there are sharper lenses out there but it's a good all rounder and I've never noticed any barrel distortion or fringing in the shots I take.

I have the EF-S 17-85 IS USM and I have to say I'm not impressed.

The extra range is welcome but it feels awfully cheap in the hand. I have taken some pretty decent images with it but am considering replacing it in the next few months.

Macro first though!

Well I use the 17-85 for nearly all my landscape stuff ... Not had a problem so far, in fact the only competition on my 30d it now gets is with the 100mm macro lens... So I would recommend both.

My landscape scetion of my website is nearly all shot with the 17-85, Clearly not saying it's the best lens, as I too am considering getting some L glass, but it's the composition and care over the shot that will really make a difference to your final image.

Another vote for the Sigma 17-70 here :clap: It really is a fantastic lens. I've not read a bad review or every heard of anyone be anything other than impressed with it!

sigma 18-50mm f2.8 DC is a good lens, i like using mine, same zoom range as the kit lens (bar 5mm at the top of the range) that and the consitant 2.8mm throughout the range is very useful :)

Thank you everybody for you comments. I've decided to go with the Canon as a good all rounder, especially having seen some of your good pictures taken with it.

Back