Alternative to Canon Macro Twin Lite Flash?

Name
Andrew Collier
Edit My Images
No
I am wishing to purchase a flash set up to work with macro. I do not like the ring flash, but prefer the twin flash arrangement. The Canon MT-24ex Macro Twin Lite Flash is beyond my reach. I am already have a bracket that will hold two flash units and I understand this may be preferable with the flexibility to adjust the flash distance. I would also have the two flash to use with portraits. I can go for the smallest Canon - 220 EX Speedlite at £120 or the Metz 20 C 2 at £30. Also, Do people recommend a slave unit in preference to lead? Canon’s 3 metre lead seems dear at £41.
I find the flash components offered on websites a little daunting and do not want to order the wrong thing

I use a Canon 300D, 105mm Sigma Macro and have a Canon 550EX flash unit.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forums. I would have thought you'd end up with something quite clumsy with two full size flash guns for macro. Maybe OK for something static but no good for portable bug hunting.

Do you have your current flash off camera? I find the single flash with a diffuser fitted and positioned just above the subject works well.

setup.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
Robertp's setup would do you well, I agree that 2 flashes would be a bit of a beast to handle if your trying to get bug shots.
I have a Canon off flash lead I will sell if your intrested, I don't ever see me using it, PM me if your intrested.

Hello and welcome to the forums. I would have thought you'd end up with something quite clumsy with two full size flash guns for macro. Maybe OK for something static but no good for portable bug hunting.

Do you have your current flash off camera? I find the single flash with a diffuser fitted and positioned just above the subject works well.

setup.jpg

Hi Robert...sorry to hijack btw....what is the off camera arm thing called and where did you get it please.

Back