Alternatives to Op/Tech strap?

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a well padded strap for my camera but don't like the idea of the clips for quick release on the Op/Tech Pro. Is there an alternative with similar padding but a direct and permanent connection to the camera body?

i didn't like that either, but I modded my optech, I just added 2 bits of similar material to the strap, and tied/threaded it to both ends. that works, and it still allows for it to be unstraped if needed, other then that theres none that I know of.

good luck finding it though!

i forgot to add, I had to get 4 more "fastening strap loop" thingy's to do this, just took em off an old rucksack I had lying around with a hole in it!

I'm looking for a well padded strap for my camera but don't like the idea of the clips for quick release on the Op/Tech Pro. Is there an alternative with similar padding but a direct and permanent connection to the camera body?
Why dont you like the clips on the op-tec strap?

Why dont you like the clips on the op-tec strap?

I've no experience of them so it's just the idea I have an issue with. Once connected I have no need to regularly attach/remove a strap and so the potential hazard of undoing a clip accidently (not likely, i appreciate, but a risk nevertheless) seems unnecessary.

Anyone any experience of this strap linky?
Again it has a release mechanism but a different style.

Edit: This seems to fit the bill - Linky
Anyone used this one?

I've no experience of them so it's just the idea I have an issue with. Once connected I have no need to regularly attach/remove a strap and so the potential hazard of undoing a clip accidently (not likely, i appreciate, but a risk nevertheless) seems unnecessary.

I had the same thoughts, so I used a thin black cable tie to secure both parts of the clip together, you can hardly tell it's there and it gives me peace of mind,

Julie

Have you ever tried pulling them apart while the camera isn't connected, they'll have gone exhaustive testing before being released for sale, I really think you're worrying about nothing, it's impossible to accidentally open it as pressing one side of the clip does nothing, you have to press both together

The Internet being what is is, I imagine if these things had a history of randomly de-coupling we'd know about.

I don't think its worth worrying about - I've got Optech's and if you look at the design, I can't see how it would be possible for them to dis-engage on their own?

I have just seen one of these mentioned on another forum and I am going to try and find out a bit more about them myself. Really want to know how safe the clips are.

Edit

Just watched the video and the clip has a locking ring on them as well. Seems like you can pick it up for around £13-15, I might try and find somewhere that sells them to have a proper look

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=16

he has got a point! I was carrying my hassy+150mm lens, I accidentally undid one of the clips without realising and :eek:!!!!!

luckily I was sitting on my bed, with cushions surrounding me:D

thats when I added the extra strap.

how did you "accidentally" undo it, you must have pressed both sides, I don't think that was accidentally:nuts:

how did you "accidentally" undo it, you must have pressed both sides, I don't think that was accidentally:nuts:

:LOL: sounds suspicious I know!

but honestly it happened. I was playing about with camera+lens, and I was holding it in such a way, my finger must of pressed against one of the sides of the strap -not both!)

anyway, its just an extra bit of security now that i've added the extra bid:D

I never had an issue with the clips. They're designed for purpose and work. I did have an issue with the whole neck strap solution. A bigger pad/wider strap just made it more uncomfortable. I even preferred the Canon strap to the TPF strap (please don't tell Marcel). So I made my own version of an R-Strap. Something I now wish I'd done years ago.

I never had an issue with the clips. They're designed for purpose and work. I did have an issue with the whole neck strap solution. A bigger pad/wider strap just made it more uncomfortable. I even preferred the Canon strap to the TPF strap (please don't tell Marcel). So I made my own version of an R-Strap. Something I now wish I'd done years ago.

I have a similar problem actually. its not that the strap is uncomfy, but if I wear it for a while on a hot day it does start to chafe. I'm thinking of solving that issue with a hole-puncher. :wacky:?

I first come across them in the USA about 6 years ago
and I thought the same way but I got one just to rty it out.
Now im here hanging a 500f4 and 1dmk3 of it with no problems at all.

I hang my sigma 3-8 with gripped D300 of an optech tripod strap,never had an issue with the buckles (which are the same).......(y)

I have two of the Optech Pro straps (One of them a TP one) and have had a Sigma 50-500 on a gripped Sony A700 without any issue. I really do think it would have to be a completely freak occurrence for one of the clasps to accidentally come undone.

he has got a point! I was carrying my hassy+150mm lens, I accidentally undid one of the clips without realising and :eek:!!!!!

luckily I was sitting on my bed, with cushions surrounding me:D

thats when I added the extra strap.

Is it possible that the clasp wasn't done up properly in the first place? I know that on the rare occasion that I undo them, I always treble check that they are fastened properly afterwards. It is possible for only one side of the clasp to actually click home if you are not careful and it would then only take a knock to that side to undo it.

Anyone any experience of this strap linky?
Again it has a release mechanism but a different style.

Edit: This seems to fit the bill - Linky
Anyone used this one?

I have one almost identical to the second link - I got mine for free through my smugmug account and I have to say it has been great.

I was thinking about buying an optech before that though, but was also wary about the clips - especially as I have a habit of fiddling with things like that anyway :bonk:

The pacsafe one definately looks interesting, I know these can be bought in the UK through Magellen's catalogue / website. I have bought things from these in the past and never had a problem with them.

I have two of the Optech Pro straps (One of them a TP one) and have had a Sigma 50-500 on a gripped Sony A700 without any issue. I really do think it would have to be a completely freak occurrence for one of the clasps to accidentally come undone.

Is it possible that the clasp wasn't done up properly in the first place? I know that on the rare occasion that I undo them, I always treble check that they are fastened properly afterwards. It is possible for only one side of the clasp to actually click home if you are not careful and it would then only take a knock to that side to undo it.

possibly! cheers for that, will be more safe next time:D

the other strap i like is the one that someone posted on here (it was red, and was just a band, with a keyring attached to it and the camera, so that camera slid easily)

Back