am i a tight git?

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
my mates girlfriend is doing a walk for charity and wants peole to sponsor her.

the thing is i'm in two minds about it. whilst i dont want to look like a tight git, its a 6 mile walk.
6 miles IMHO is nothing. My wife walks 2 miles to work, 2 miles back and runs 2 miles on the running machine every day. She's not even a fitness freak or anything she just does it because its easier than waiting for the bus.

so am i tight git if i dont sponsor my mates gf? whatever happened to the days when people used to ask you to sponsor them for something difficult like swimming the atlantic or walking to the moon? :)

you see to you 6 miles isnt a lot, but to the girl it might be a lot,depending on how fit she is. i like walking but i have to stop every mile or so to get my breath, and rest my legs. so it is dependent on the person, and ITS FOR CHARITY! lol

Tight wad :D Throw a fiver her way and be done with it :)

What does it matter what she does? Its all for a good cause :)

If you want to support that particular charity then sponsor her, if not then don't. I always used to feel pressured when someone asked me to sponsor them and then guilty if I did not do so but I have decided that it is their choice to do the event and mine to decide what I do with my hard earned money. There are so many sponsored things going on all the time that I now pick and choose who (if more than one person is taking part) and which (charities) I support, and just say "not this time" to the rest.

Your not tight your prudent, well that's always my excuse.

Kerioak has it right, it's your choice which charities (if any) you support. Don't be pressured into something you feel is non-deserving of your hard earned cash.

But are there any charities you wouldnt support? :shrug:

Absolutely
There are a lot of charities IMHO that do more harm than good. For example i believe a lot of African charities make the situation worse.
I would also never give money to a charity that uses chuggers. They get paid about 17 grand a year to beg us for money, and that salary comes from the money you donate.
I also dont give money to specific cancer charities. I believe it is better to research cancer rather than just one type of cancer that only affects half the population.

Fair enough, I guess it was a bit of a general sweeping statement :)

I think that charity events are just a gesture.. it would be nice to see some that really challenge's the individual.. but at the end of the day as long as they do SOMETHING.. its ok.. give if you want.. a token gift.. (y)

I think that charity events are just a gesture.. it would be nice to see some that really challenge's the individual.. but at the end of the day as long as they do SOMETHING.. its ok.. give if you want.. a token gift.. (y)

thinking about it a bit further i might just buy her some heelies :)

If you want to support that particular charity then sponsor her, if not then don't. I always used to feel pressured when someone asked me to sponsor them and then guilty if I did not do so but I have decided that it is their choice to do the event and mine to decide what I do with my hard earned money. There are so many sponsored things going on all the time that I now pick and choose who (if more than one person is taking part) and which (charities) I support, and just say "not this time" to the rest.

I agree with this sentiment. We get asked frequently and in recent years my GF and I decide at the start of a year what type of charity we will support eg kids, medical research, dogs, war vets etc. Our answer when declining an invitation to sponser is "this year we are supporting NSPCC (or whatever)". People tend to understand when given a specific reason.

its your decision badgerbaiter, and if you dont want to put money in dont, personally i dont bother giving money to charities when they come knocking door to door, it annoys me when they just stand in the street and expect money then im not a fan, if someone is actually doing something for the charity to deserve the money then yes i will - for example a lad at work ran the great north run this year (hes only about 3ft tall so that must be a long way) for cancer research and i gave some money for that.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BOB A JOB???!!!

my current annoyance with charities etc is bloody bag packing in morrisons, its ok when its say cancer research as the older ladies tend to take some care with your packing, same with the sea scouts but this week at morrisons it was the local under 12s RUFC and the kids couldnt pack bags, most of them couldnt pick up a bag of spuds (before obviously dropping them on top of your tomatoes...!) and were just messing about, bloody annoying.

my list of charities i tend to give to are-
scouts/guides/cadets etc if they do something to deserve it, rather than just pan handling or bell pushing
cancer research
RNLI
poppy appeal

any others will be picked on merit and whether i get a nice badge :)

But are there any charities you wouldnt support?
yes - the ones that are set up to take a very large % for their "costs"

or the one's that "help" yobs to have a nice holiday...

This thread reminds me of the Catherine Tate sketch about the woman in the office with the bloke who never gives enough to her charity causes.

:agree:

But are there any charities you wouldn't support? :shrug:

Have to agree with Badgerbaiter on nearly everything he said. The real experts will tell you the best way to help Africa is to stop helping Africa.

I understand there are still many many millions not spent that were donated to the tsunami fund.

There is a radio advert for money for the Burma crisis, yet the news keeps telling us the Burmese government won't accept help from abroad, so why give money ?

lol uncomfortable but true.... and their book called "the cash cow"

poppy appeal is the one i give to the most.
not really because i'm generous but because i feel i owe them a hell of a lot more than i could ever pay them.

i get the feeling a lot of people give money to charity and dont really care where it goes so long as they know they can go away feeling good.. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I like to know where its going.

Nowadays you also cant just give 'em a fiver you have to give them your credit card details or a bloody direct debit so they can keep on taking it.

I used to give away a lot of good things to Dr Barnardo's until they started using Chuggers. Now they dont get anything from me, I take it to a different charity shop instead.

My current annoyance with charities etc is bloody bag packing in morrisons, its ok when its say cancer research as the older ladies tend to take some care with your packing, same with the sea scouts but this week at morrisons it was the local under 12s RUFC and the kids couldnt pack bags, most of them couldnt pick up a bag of spuds (before obviously dropping them on top of your tomatoes...!) and were just messing about, bloody annoying.

My local Sainsburys have had a few packers in recently with one that I couldn't believe!!!! Stockport Girls Lacrosse Club raising funds to take part in a tournament in Munich. All the girls were mid late teens so parents should have been laying out the cash anyway.

The coach wasn't too chuffed when I asked what was wrong with the old fashioned Lacrosse tour to Croydon/Bath, drinking copious amounts of ale and playing the following match whilst still drunk and only 4 hours of sleep. Proper sport !!!!!

I have an account with charities trust . Money goes in every month out of my salary before I pay tax on it and you get a cheque book that can only be used for charities. I'm then always happy to sponsor friends and collegues for whatever they're doing and it doesn't feel like real money.

We have just had charity week at work! I parted with at least £20 for various things, a lot of them fairly feeble and daft. Think of it as a good donation to charity, no matter what they are doing to raise the cash. (and a 6 mile walk for some might be easy, for others it is a real challenge!) My friend did a 6 hour sponsored silence, we all sponsored her by the hour convinced she couldn't do it...... we were sooooo wrong! :LOL:

Back