Am I over reacting?

Edit My Images
No
Traded my mint Fuji X100t, boxed etc as original to MPB for what was described as Nikon D5300 & AF-S 18-105G ED VR lens.

Received my Nikon today, no boxes, manuals etc, lens hood is broken, ordered a CP filter got a UV filter, the material on front of lens appears to be peeling and the cable for the charger is made by isheng!

I've normally had pretty good experiences with mpb but I found this quite disappointing? Am I over reacting?

Photos of front of lens & lens hood attached.

20170403_230129.jpg20170403_225839.jpg

the material on front of lens appears to be peeling
Looks like a previous owners crude attempt at stealthing the lens ring - a tape/film over the markings either to prevent reflections onto a filter or to chav it up a bit.

Looks like a previous owners crude attempt at stealthing the lens ring - a tape/film over the markings either to prevent reflections onto a filter or to chav it up a bit.
I wondered what it was, thought it was weird! [emoji35]

Definately reject it and send it back with a complaint, that of course depends how it was described in the advert

Last edited:
Unusual for MPB in my experience - I'm usually pleasantly surprised at how much better the condition is of stuff I've bought from them than I was expecting when it arrives. They're normally very good at sorting out any issues, so definitely have a word!

No you're not, description of goods works both ways when dealing with such companies.
I've found Wex to be better to deal with tbh.

Why not just call them and make them aware you're not happy, ask for a refund or alternative arrangement etc and move on...
Hardly earth shattering news really in the grand scheme of what's happening in the world these days. :exit:

I would complain. The lack of boxes is normal but if the lens did not have the issues in the description then i would 100% complain.

That looks like a real pos, was their rating Crap -

Don't delay, ring today

TBH I had a similar experience with MPB last year, they sent me a lens that had obviously been dropped but was not described as such. They were very good about organising a return etc. but I could have done without the hassle.

Why not just call them and make them aware you're not happy, ask for a refund or alternative arrangement etc and move on...
Hardly earth shattering news really in the grand scheme of what's happening in the world these days. :exit:
Paul you're right it's not earth shattering and I didn't describe it as such. I simply asked a photography related question on a forum designed for... photography. Clearly I understand it's not on the same level as world famine, terrorism etc and I never made it out to be, and yes I'm perfectly capable of sorting it, the question was, as we use a forum for, to ask others their opinion, so I apologise if it bored/annoyed/upset you but you really don't have to read/comment if you don't want to!

I don't think you're over reacting. I'd give them a call myself.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd not be happy with that, how was it described on their website?

Yeah I'd not be happy with that, how was it described on their website?
+1 ... though if it was described as damaged or there was no mention in the description of being boxed etc then it may not be so clear cut, e.g. most descriptions will show 'original packaging if it's boxed. Similarly a description of, for example', 'with front cap' would lead me to believe that there wasn't a rear cap.

If you are just after an opinion then I would have left the suppliers name out of it until they had a chance to rectify it. You do not say what condition the 5300 & lens were advertised as, only that your fuji was mint.

If it isn't as described, or that description isn't what you were expecting, then contacting them is the only correct option. You will be pleasantly surprised at how helpful they will be.

Reactions: Nod
You should definitely complain, but also consider exactly what the advert said. If it did not mention boxes or manuals the seller could reasonably say they weren't specified (you could also argue from your side a certain expectation but you could not argue these were missing). Same with the lens hood, if it was advertised with a good and it's broken you have a better chance than if it was not advertised with a hood, but what came was broken.

In any case, under distance selling regs you have 7 days from delivery to reject, regardless of any inaccuracies or issues, so if you're not happy complain quickly and any hassle, just send it back.

Given them a call, they will call me back, hopefully resolving it! Just frustrating as will need to be in for the return collection and then for the next delivery and all a bit unnecessary had they checked the items properly!

Mistakes get made, I often think the proof of how good a company isn't how they sell to you but how they resolve a problem, so will have to wait & see!

Relevance score 1/10.

Its not like he's asked a question about TOWIE on a Red Cross forum :thinking:

If I were the OP I'd be very miffed about this, I can only echo what everyone else is saying, would be interested in the outcome.

Last edited:
He's not moaning, he's asking our opinion.

Wind your neck in.

Who said the OP was moaning? Does the opinion of others really count in this matter? Its damaged goods that just requires a phone call to state that, rather simply in my eyes.

Nothing to see so jog on fella.

Pretty sure MPB won't be happy either. I'd guess lenses got swapped on the shelf and you've got a ropey one rather than the one you ordered. How many did they have of those lenses?

No you're not, description of goods works both ways when dealing with such companies.

I found Wex to be terrible, won't use them anymore, I'm sure others have had fine transactions with them.

Who said the OP was moaning? Does the opinion of others really count in this matter? Its damaged goods that just requires a phone call to state that, rather simply in my eyes.

Nothing to see so jog on fella.
Aside from exact words, your post did come across as a little critical of the OP for asking a completely reasonable and legitimate question in the right forum for it? But moving on...

I've bought a lot of second hand stuff from Wex and they've made a number of mistakes but their customer service has always been fair and quick to resolve those problems. Especially so with second hand stuff from larger retailers, they're going to miss things or make mistakes and that's why it's important to deal with people and companies you can rely on.

Mistakes get made, I often think the proof of how good a company isn't how they sell to you but how they resolve a problem, so will have to wait & see!

I couldn't agree more.

Pretty sure MPB won't be happy either. I'd guess lenses got swapped on the shelf and you've got a ropey one rather than the one you ordered. How many did they have of those lenses?

I found Wex to be terrible, won't use them anymore, I'm sure others have had fine transactions with them.
It's really weird how we all have such different experiences with the same company.
WEX offered me an excellent price for an Olympus m4/3 body recently, easily as much as private sales on forums and then increased it by £20 on receipt as it was "mint".
Then they put it up for sale at the most outrageous price and someone bought it!

It's really weird how we all have such different experiences with the same company.
WEX offered me an excellent price for an Olympus m4/3 body recently, easily as much as private sales on forums and then increased it by £20 on receipt as it was "mint".
Then they put it up for sale at the most outrageous price and someone bought it!

Yup, I know others have had good responses, they were just terrible to me a couple of times over issues in the past. Didn't want to know, so I just go elsewhere now.
It's like any company I guess, depends on which person you deal with.

Definitely not over reacting... let us know how you get on with speaking to them.

I once received a 17-55 in mint condition for MPB and the hood was cracked near the locking pin which means it never clicked into place.

They tried telling me that the hood doesn't effect the price on their site and wouldn't be able to do anything. I could have returned but I needed the lens for a job. After a decent amount of emails they finally sent me a replacement.

This is why I always like to look at used kit before I buy it. But MPB should arrange for the kit to be sent back to them then issue you with a refund.

I bought a mint D300S from MPB and it came with a knackered third party battery that went flat during my daughter's visit to see Santa. After considerable bollockings from she who must I contacted MPB who sent me three new Nikon batteries as an apology. I was p***ed off with them initially but they sorted it out quickly and well. No one is perfect (least of all me on that particular day!) but it's how you react that matters.

If it was were described as "excellent condition", sent it back.

Please let us know on here what they say.

Quick update. Terrible communication from mpb, simply sent me a standard email for a collection of the lens which was collected yesterday. No actual communication or apology as yet. I put in the incorrect filter they sent me, the non Nikon lead and updated the delivery note to reflect this. I shall await some kind of response from them.

No actual communication or apology as yet.

Pretty standard CS in the modern world.

Not many companies actually apologise or compensate any more, simple refund.

That's the price we collectively pay if you want the benefits of online companies.

Back