Am I totally out of my depth?

S

SarahB

....just thought I'd check!! I guess you all have really posh SLR cameras so I wondered if I was going to be totally out of my depth here with my lowly Fuji S5500?!! :eyesup:

I have to say after my last camera I am feeling like David Bailey with this one!! The quality and things it can do are so much better than our old camera!!

But without a proper SLR is it OK to join in here?

The Fuji S5500 is a camera with a well-deserved good reputation, and I'm sure everyone will agree with me in saying that it's not the kit you have that counts, it's the results :).

i had an S5000 and its a cracking camera! Some of our members here have point/shoot cameras and turn out far better work than some DSLR owners that ive seen(including me!)

I have a Canon Ixus 500.

I came so very close to shelling out on a 350D and some decent lenses, but in the end had to be sensible and put it on back burner.

I couldnt justify the outlay, when i should be saving for a house.

so for now i will have to wait.

But atleast i will know what i am looking at hardware wise when i do go for it.

SarahB said:
....just thought I'd check!! I guess you all have really posh SLR cameras so I wondered if I was going to be totally out of my depth here with my lowly Fuji S5500?!! :eyesup:

I have to say after my last camera I am feeling like David Bailey with this one!! The quality and things it can do are so much better than our old camera!!

But without a proper SLR is it OK to join in here?

:D The camera doesn't have very much to do with the quality of your work at the end of the day Sarah - it's the dude or dudess standing behind it. ;)

Lots of members here don't use SLRs. There are lots of advantages actually in owning a compact - built in respectable zoom range - portability etc. If you find yourself limited in the sort of shots you want to take - perhaps need longer lenses, or true macro lenses, then it's time to start thinking about an SLR, but as long as your current camera fulfils YOUR needs that's all that matters.

Thats a far more anvanced camera than i'm using!! I'm stuck here with an IXUS400, but i'm still pleases with the photo's i get :)

Sarah, I've only owned a DSLR for about 3 months.

I still have my Canon Powershot A95 and got some of my best ever shots on it.

Stick around...a lot of the information shared is generic.

Many of us DSLR users started (not so long ago for some) with far simpler cameras. We learn and craved better cameras as our interest in the hobby grew.

It really doesn't matter what camera you use now or in the future, you are not out of your depth here and much of what is written, debated and generally mused over can be relevant to all levels of skill.

For what it is worth, I still say that some of my best photos where not taken on my DSLR but on my point and shoot G3.

If you do feel out of depth, just ask. I promise no one here will make you feel silly or stupid. We all started somewhere and constantly continue to learn.

I don't even own a gigital camera camera at the mo, although I do get the occasional loan of my g/f's kodak 'toy' All I have rely on is my broken 35mm slr and a donated contax tvs2/ nikon coolscan IVed combo!

as ct said, it's the person who takes a good photo, not the camera! Hence why my some of shots are so ropey!

But it's like all art really, you've just got to run it up the flag-pole and see who salutes it!

There s no real right or wrong here!

(if anybody wants to borrow any tired cliches, then please PM me, I've got thousands. Apparently)

I agree with Steve. Some photos I've taken on my old A70 I haven't been able to surpass with my 10D. Its the photographer that makes the camera. All you need is manual control and some creative thinking.

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forums! I myself have only had my D70 for a few months. I had an old chinnon when I first joined the forums, and nobody here made me feel like I was out of my league. Even with the D70 I'm still not getting the shots I would like. I'm still learning myself. Like the others said, it's the person behind the camera not the camera itself. I'll get it one day though!!!LOL It's a great bunch, their always willing to help out!

Regards, Jewel

The S5500 Thats the amera I was going to get till some kind soul bought me a 350d instead. The 5500 is a top camera and I know a few people who have some stunning results with it. I'm still waiting to start geting the really stuning results with my 350d but its taking time but I plan to get there. Enjoy your stay.

Welcome to the forums.

Like everyone else, I started on a much smaller camera than the 350D I have now.

Like Steve has mentioned above, some of my best work was also taken on Steves G3 ;)

It's all about moving with your kit. We use a point and shoot when our abilities determine so. Then when we feel restricted by that camera, we move up a notch so that our equipment is always that one step ahead of our expertise....so to speak.

There are some absolutely stunning results that can be had by any camera, regardless of specification or features. It's 90% photographer, 10% equipment in my book.

Firstly Sarah hello and welcome to the forum. All that's been said is so very true it's not the camera what ever type it is. It's the eye that's looking through the view finder and the brain that's connected to the eye that counts. Ok I've got a fancy DSLR but I also have a Fuji S7000 which is great for when I don't what to be carrying a load of gear with me. You're out your depth here, enjoy your photography and I'm sure any of the boy's and girl's here will only to willing to help as and when you need it.

I have an S5100 - my only gripe with it, is that the manual focus is abysmally slow. Be better if it had a 'spinny dial thing' around the lens. :)

yeah, come on back!

I promise not to make the tea again!

What a shame Sarah hasn't come back.

Back