Amateur photographer bitten by adder

Wow, that was a day! :eek:

Wait, how did he get from the car to being in bed ? If I had been paralysed for 7 hours I am going straight to hospital and not home.

There are a lot of holes in the story, not just the one sin his leg!

You have to credit his mate,one look and he knew he had been bitten by an adder;) how many would know that from one look.

"What's that Skippy? He's been bitten by a snike!"
"Geeez, who'd have expected that when you're stuck down a well with a sprained ankle?!" ;)

I used to love that programme when I was a kid; did anyone ever see that helicopter that chap always seemed to be working on actually ever fly? :LOL:

Last edited:
One early morning i stood on top of a heap of rubble and soil photographing a couple of adders that were warming up,i took too long when i decided to leave i was surrounded by them,thats still safer than standing on one.

I stood on one whilst walking the dog through woodland in 2012.
It bit me, rather understandably!
I took the dog home, drove to minor injuries unit, received antivenin, (complicated, don't ask :) ) and drove home.
Don't get me wrong, it hurt like a bugger, nothing overly serious reaction-wise though.

I knew someone who was on a walking holiday in the Lochinver area (Wester Ross). He sat down on a boulder for a rest, felt a movement under his backside. then quickly stood up. He had sat on an adder that quickly moved off. He was not bitten.

I've never seen an adder in my life. Spent many an hour walking through - and sometimes sitting in - long grass without a seconds' thought about getting bitten by a snake.

Actually went to Tehidy Woods last summer but mainly stuck to the footpaths IIRC. They've got some pretty brave squirrels there - they came right up to us begging for food.

I once ended up in hospital after reacting badly to mossie bites whilst fishing on the River Trent so I can well imagine a snake bite can be severe if your body reacts badly to it.

Last edited:
Herpetophobiacs who want to to wander free to photograph in the wild, should come here to Ireland. St. Patrick chased all such varmints out of the country long ago!

I've never seen an adder in my life. Spent many an hour walking through - and sometimes sitting in - long grass without a seconds' thought about getting bitten by a snake.

Actually went to Tehidy Woods last summer but mainly stuck to the footpaths IIRC. They've got some pretty brave squirrels there - they came right up to us begging for food.

I once ended up in hospital after reacting badly to mossie bites whilst fishing on the River Trent so I can well imagine a snake bite can be severe if your body reacts badly to it.

Many times I have been in areas of Scotland that have high populations of adders and never seen one. However, in these areas, I saw quite a few cast skins.

My 5 year old son and I went for a walk up to Captain Cooks Monument in North Yorkshire a couple of weeks ago. We'd barely left the car park when my son said 'look daddy, a snake', and sure enough here was an Adder crossing the path in front of us. First time I have ever seen one in the wild.

Simon.

Back