Amazon lens packaging...

Shrink wrapped pallets

Actually a fair amount of their stock is moved around using the same couriers the OP is upset about, and the packaging is a lot less than even the level at Amazon being complained about. I've seen a delivery arrive at Currys as a cage of plastic bags with each item just in its retail box.

and then thrown into a cage by a spotty faced teenager on minimum wage, dragged through the warehouse and eventually thrown onto a shelf into the warehouse

Actually a fair amount of their stock is moved around using the same couriers the OP is upset about, and the packaging is a lot less than even the level at Amazon being complained about. I've seen a delivery arrive at Currys as a cage of plastic bags with each item just in its retail box.

I'm only going on what I know from the 12 years I worked for DSG but most stock was delivered to distribution centres then shrinkwrapped on pallets and delivered to the stores using their own drivers. Not sure if that's changed over the last 7 years but probably not much.

Do you seriously think Amazon don't have experts at hand to advise them as to how best package items?
I don't think every packer has an expert beside them giving them a piece of advise for every package :)
In my experience the wrapping quality of packages from amazon differs depending on the packer...
I prefer to pick up sensitive, expensive items in store.

The 'packers' are under immense pressure to pick & pack a minimum number of items per minute/hour.

I've had packages via amazon that aren't even fully sealed.
Sometimes the packaging is inadequate, other times OTT.

You'd just expect high value items, or items that can be more easily damaged, to be better packaged/protected.

My wife and I have had around five or six lenses from Amazon (including a couple of 24mm TS-Es) and we've never had any issues with their quality. That said, I'm fairly sure they were all a little better packed than the photo in the OP.

Amusingly I had a Canon 50mm 1.4 in what appears to be the same size box as the OPs arrive today from Amazon, it was 95% brown paper.

I thought they sent an empty box at first, the 50mm box is tiny!

I'm only going on what I know from the 12 years I worked for DSG but most stock was delivered to distribution centres then shrinkwrapped on pallets and delivered to the stores using their own drivers. Not sure if that's changed over the last 7 years but probably not much.
That's probably the case for the usual delivery to store for items to go in the shelves/stockroom.

For click-and-collect stuff not held as usual stock in-store, they post it by courier to the store. When I've collected stuff from them, it's still in the outer box used to send it to the store, and has the courier's labels etc on it.

That's probably the case for the usual delivery to store for items to go in the shelves/stockroom.

For click-and-collect stuff not held as usual stock in-store, they post it by courier to the store. When I've collected stuff from them, it's still in the outer box used to send it to the store, and has the courier's labels etc on it.

As I said, it may have changed. It's actually 10 years since I was involved in that side of the business

Back