Amazon Photos - Cloud storage

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I've just been looking into some Cloud storage solutions and recently discovered Amazon Photos. It's included within my prime membership... and from what I understand so far, it seems to good to be true...

You can assin it to back up a folder automatically.
It has a 5gb file limit (however images are not included in this limit)
It supports RAW, Jpeg, TIFF PNG, all of your usual image files.
It Supports a 2gb upload per file on a web browser, or higher if you use the amazon photos app.
It also has an app for android, iphone, windows so you can easily sync files across all devices...

I was just wondering if anyone has actually used this yet and if anyone has been stung by this? the only concern I have is if I do use this as my primary source of a backup and they decide to start charging for it...

Whats your thoughts on this if anyone has actually used this?

Thanks
Andy

I've got something like 300GB of jpg & raw files uploaded, along with 50MB or so of sidecars.

As you say... free with Prime.

I just plonk then on my NAS and they are uploaded overnight according to the schedule I set up.

I've been using it for a while, with my main backup directory on my hard drive syncing with it and not had any problems. I use both the browser version and the app on my phone, which also automatically syncs my phone pics with amazon drive. They're always making improvements, the automatic categorisation and tagging seems OK, though not perfect, it's a good service. I have a similar concern about them starting to charge, but I wouldn't expect it to be done without plenty of notice to move my photos to somewhere else.

I've got something like 300GB of jpg & raw files uploaded, along with 50MB or so of sidecars.

As you say... included in the Prime fee.

I just plonk then on my NAS and they are uploaded overnight according to the schedule I set up.

Corrected that for you :)

I use it and have done for a year or so.

I have ~1TB of photos up there and another TB of files. It works fairly well and is good value for photos.

I am hugely paranoid about file loss so have 4-5 copies of files in various locations. Cloud based is definitely a good idea for cheap remote storage, though to be used in conjunction with other backup solutions and not your only copy!

Cloud based is definitely a good idea for cheap remote storage, though to be used in conjunction with other backup solutions and not your only copy!
Definitely agree with this. It can’t be a backup if it’s your only backup. As a minimum I keep an on-site backup and and an offsite back. I would love to use a cloud service but my internet speed is too slow. For me swappping in and out two portable hard drives works fine at present.

I have 2.31 TB of images on Amazon Drive, been with them 4 years now. No issues whatsoever.

I've got a 4 x 4TB NAS in RAID 5, which I save all my processed images to. I don't save my RAWs once they are processed. As soon as anything is copied to the NAS, it automatically uploads to Amazon Drive. I've set it up so the link is NAS > Amazon Drive only. Anything deleted from the NAS for any reason remains on Amazon Drive.

Back