Amazon Prime £49 annual subscription

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone been caught out paying £49 for the privilege of Amazon Prime? I must have bought something from Amazon a while ago and ticked a box when I was told I qualified for free delivery...little did I know that I had inadvertently signed up for "Amazon Prime" and that, after a "free" trial period, they would charge me an annual subscription of £49.

This has only come to light when I checked my last credit charge statement and noticed a payment to Amazon of £49 when I had not made any orders with them.

I had no idea that Amazon charge an annual subscription for "Prime".

Just a warning to others to look out for this....I doubt whether I order enough through Amazon each year to amount to £49 postage.

You would not have been signed up simply by ticking a box for free delivery - you specifically opted for the free one month trial. This would have been explicitly mentioned to you, and you also would have received a reminder email about it before the trial month ended - you've simply forgotten about it. I know this because I tried the free month and did sign up two years ago.

Don't blame Amazon for your own mistake.

You would not have been signed up simply by ticking a box for free delivery - you specifically opted for the free one month trial. This would have been explicitly mentioned to you, and you also would have received a reminder email about it before the trial month ended - you've simply forgotten about it. I know this because I tried the free month and did sign up two years ago.

Don't blame Amazon for your own mistake.

I know that I may have made a mistake in not understanding the system, but I think there may be others in my situation that may not realise that you have to pay for Amazon Prime.

I'm just urging caution so others do not get caught out like I have been.

I ordered something last night and they offered me the one month free trial in clear green text, you have the option of next day (non prime) as well but that costs.
I have taken the trial before and just remembered to cancel at the given date, good if you can remember (like the lovefilm trials also), and the £49 would be worth it if you regularly ordered and chose next day delivery as you would have your money back in say..less than 10 orders.

edit: just seen your post ^^ ..it clearly states it is a trial and to be fair if they are offering free super saver delivery and free 'prime' next day delivery then surely they are not going to give you the prime free forever..no? It's nice you're cautioning people but Amazon make it pretty darn obvious the service is not free forever and you are signing up to a trial

Last edited:
Currently in a trial period with Prime at the moment, it has been great for what we've ordered this month but we don't usually get a lot so will be cancelling.

From day one when agreeing to the trial, I set up a calendar alert so I know to cancel well before the end of the month (maybe thats a tip for you)

Could always add it to partners account when we order a lot of stuff again ;)

Now sorted. Rang Amazon and the first thing they asked on the automatic system was "is it about Prime?" so they must have a lot of queries on this.

Eventually spoke to an operator and they are going to refund the cost of the subscription less a very small charge for two orders made recently.

Lesson learnt. Top marks to Amazon for sorting this out.

Last edited:
Now sorted. Rang Amazon and the first thing they asked on the automatic system was "is it about Prime?" so they must have a lot of queries on this.

Eventually spoke to an operator and they are going to refund the cost of the subscription less a very small charge for two orders made recently.

Lesson learnt. Top marks to Amazon for sorting this out.

in fairness Amazon have great customer support, its one of the reasons I always look on Amazon to buy something

in fairness Amazon have great customer support, its one of the reasons I always look on Amazon to buy something

I agree.....I have always found Amazon to be fantastic to deal with. Just me not understanding how "Prime" works. I will continue to purchase things through them.

My daughter made the same mistake, not always as obvious to spot as some people may imagine. Their customer support is one of the best I have come across.

Amazon are good to deal with, and I normally check their pricing when I'm looking for something. I've never bothered with Amazon Prime because there are often other free delivery options, if you're not in a hurry. I'm quite content to wait a week or so for anything I want.

Amazon are good to deal with, and I normally check their pricing when I'm looking for something. I've never bothered with Amazon Prime because there are often other free delivery options, if you're not in a hurry. I'm quite content to wait a week or so for anything I want.

Same here, it is the first place a check from something and I wait the few extra days.

I opted for the free trial but you have to go into your account setting and unclick the button where it says automatically continue after free trial. This was a while ago and the instructions for opting out were quite straight forward I thought?

I think every time I've heard of someone being unaware that Prime is an opt out after the trial, a quick call to Amazon has resulted in a refund.

I've had mine now for over 3 years - once I've ordered something I like to get it next day! One benefit is that other family members can use it with their own accounts too.

In addition there have been mistakes made by some marketplace sellers that use the Prime system meaning that I've been able to order several hundred books for 1p each delivered and a friend of a friend managed to get over 2000 books that way (£20 delivered) !!

Been there, done that - give them a ring - they may even credit you for any payments mede if you haven't ordered.

Oh, by the way, I agree with you OP(y)

Currently in a trial period with Prime at the moment, it has been great for what we've ordered this month but we don't usually get a lot so will be cancelling.

From day one when agreeing to the trial, I set up a calendar alert so I know to cancel well before the end of the month (maybe thats a tip for you)

Could always add it to partners account when we order a lot of stuff again ;)

No need.. you can start the trial and cancel it on the same day.. you still get the trial period and no danger of forgetting and having to pay at the end.

Coincidently, I'd just received my bank statement this morning - yep there was the Prime membership I'd not noticed! Just gave them a call, 3 painless minutes later she gave me a full refund and cancellation.

Excellent customer service (y)

Excellent customer service for rotten customers :LOL:

photon said:
Excellent customer service for rotten customers :LOL:

Well I buy off them....just dint want a prime account...

You don't lose the trial by the immediate cancellation.. the trial runs it's course and it's just not renewed by payment at the end. I did this last year in the run-up to Christmas and it was very useful.

Back