Amazon prime online storage

Name
Leigh
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
My first post on here so again hello.
The worst area for photography for me, sometimes, is storing and organising them all.
My wife has amazon prime and I now benefit from her investment/membership too.

I've noticed unlimited online photo storage is a benefit too.

does anyone else use amazon prime storage?

is there a catch such as ownership of photos or amazon using them as they wish once stored on their cloud?

cheers n stuff

L

I use it as a cloud backup.

No catch that I've found.

Only downside is that if you shoot raw, then the sidecar files don't count towards the unlimited storage. It shouldn't really be an issue unless you use the metered storage for something. I think you get a few Gb for free (check, don't trust me)

Welcome to TP by the way!
Ian.

I have 386192 images backed up to Amazon Drive and quite a few more to add

sidecar files?
metered storage?

Do you shoot raw and edit the files? If you do - you will create additional "text" files that accompany each image (basically telling you what changes were made to that image) These are called sidecar files. If you shoot jpeg or dng, this will not be an issue.

Metered storage is storage that's limited. E.g. You get 3Gb free with Google Drive. Once you exceed the cap, something happens. I used the word metering to refer to the fact that it's limited. Amazon Prine gives you 5Gb of storage that's *not* photos and video with Prime membership. The sidecar files will eat into this.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Is prime worth it if you only order from Amazon every now and then? what are the other benefits? UL storage is pretty tempting I have to say

Is prime worth it if you only order from Amazon every now and then? what are the other benefits? UL storage is pretty tempting I have to say

We have used it for years as we buy a lot from Amazon the other benefits are a bonus. I should use Amazon video more often, the photo option is very useful, I don't use it for everything but it means I can access several hundred photos on my iPad, which has very limited memory, from anywhere with wifi.

How long it remains unlimited is anyone's guess.

Is prime worth it if you only order from Amazon every now and then?

It's £80/year which is £6.60/month. If you assume £2.50 delivery, that's (say) 3 things a month. Is that > or < than "every now & then". If you order >3 things/month, then it's worth it. Next day delivery on most stuff which is convenient.

Additional things are the storage & Amazon Prime TV (not as good as Netflix, terrible interface, but some cool stuff on there if you're happy to dig). If there's anything else, I've not used it.

Google drive is €9.99 p.m for 1tb with no other benefits, so it seems Amazon is the wiser choice. Might go for it, cheers. I order small things maybe 1-2 times a month, but the delivery is pricier for Ireland, will have to make sure with prime I get the free delivery too

I use it, and I’ve managed to back up the best part of 20’years of jpg images. It does some auto-categorisation which is quite fun. Like it automatically recognised things like ‘Guitars’ or ‘Food’, even recurring faces in pictures.

Downside is that the interface to upload isn’t great, and it took hell of a long time to upload it all - which I suppose is my connection’s fault rather than Amazon.

I’m concerned at what will happen if I cancel Prime though.

I use Amazon Photos and have years worth of my photos backed up there. You can set it to automatically synch too, so you add your photos to a folder and they get automatically uploaded to your Prime Photo storage, handy for me as I sometimes forget to backup my photos after copying them from camera to hard drive, so now I don't have to remember and it does it for me. Image backup is unlimited, anything else, including videos, will eat into your 3G limit. As well as photo storage, Amazon prime video and the free delivery you also get Amazon Music which is not as good as Spotify but there's plenty of music on there, and there's Prime reading, a library where you can get free kindle books, though I don't use that. Pretty good value for less than £7 a year, and the more of the services you use the better the value.

I use it, and I’ve managed to back up the best part of 20’years of jpg images. It does some auto-categorisation which is quite fun. Like it automatically recognised things like ‘Guitars’ or ‘Food’, even recurring faces in pictures.

Downside is that the interface to upload isn’t great, and it took hell of a long time to upload it all - which I suppose is my connection’s fault rather than Amazon.

I’m concerned at what will happen if I cancel Prime though.

definitely a big concern of mine also. I suspect you'll have a few days time to download your stuff and back it up before it all gets deleted permanently.

the interface has got better over time but still not great. I suspect they'll continuously improve it over time.

I thought about that too, how long do they hold your images after you cancel? What if you just decide to 'take a break' for a while? thought i guess that would be cheating :D

I was thinking on it for short term, I have thousands of images on a dying laptop atm that aren't backed up, because, y'know, I keep meaning to do it ... :rolleyes: - and I'm thinking I'd probably trust a service like that short term over cheap externals, until I can get me some solid reliable pricier ones.

I thought about that too, how long do they hold your images after you cancel? What if you just decide to 'take a break' for a while? thought i guess that would be cheating :D

I was thinking on it for short term, I have thousands of images on a dying laptop atm that aren't backed up, because, y'know, I keep meaning to do it ... :rolleyes: - and I'm thinking I'd probably trust a service like that short term over cheap externals, until I can get me some solid reliable pricier ones.

Back them up now, even if it to a cheap external drive!

I only use Amazon Prime for some of my photos. Everything is backed-up to external HDDs and I am trying Backblaze as an additional backup.

Back them up now, even if it to a cheap external drive!

I only use Amazon Prime for some of my photos. Everything is backed-up to external HDDs and I am trying Backblaze as an additional backup.

Laptop is currently at the doctors :/ if he can't fix it we'll rip the HDD's out and be able to back them up anyway. I have all my older stuff saved in various places, but a lot from this year I have been very lazy about.

I have no idea how long they'll hold it. I would normally download them first and then cancel it rather the other way round ;)

So I have set Amazon desktop app to automatically back up all my LR RAW imports and the LR catalogue backups. So if I lost everything I'd still have my most important images i.e. the ones I considered good enough to import and work on. I have far too images to upload everything and it'd take far too long to do especially since I started shooting with a 42mp camera.

I also have all my images backed up on two separate harddrives. One hard drive lives at home and other lives some place else safe.

I have a tbyte worth of pictures backed up there. I use prime for books movies tv shows and purchases. Well worth it

As much as I hate to admit it I did enjoy watching the grand tour

We have been on Prime for a number of years - just checked and 89 orders in the last six months! Use it for all sorts of small things (and the occasional bigger one - found a lens on there recently cheaper than Panamoz). Do use the photo storage, Prime video plus several other benefits. Wort searching on Prime video for "photography". Hundreds of videos and programmes, and while many are pretty ordinary there are some good things on there.

We have been on Prime for a number of years - just checked and 89 orders in the last six months! Use it for all sorts of small things (and the occasional bigger one - found a lens on there recently cheaper than Panamoz). Do use the photo storage, Prime video plus several other benefits. Wort searching on Prime video for "photography". Hundreds of videos and programmes, and while many are pretty ordinary there are some good things on there.

i wonder do you order more things because you are prime member?
I certainly order a few more things than I would I have because its so easy and quick to do so.

I certainly order a few more things than I would I have because its so easy and quick to do so.
Almost certainly - especially with the smaller things. We will be thinking about something, look it up and press buy now - and it's here the following day. Done that twice this week already (and the Amazon delivery driver knocked literally 5 minutes ago with the latest!).

The only negative i've found is that it seems to sync with your computer.

Which means, if you remove the images from your machine, they are removed from the online storage too.

But of course you should have multiple backups/harddrives :)

The only negative i've found is that it seems to sync with your computer.

Which means, if you remove the images from your machine, they are removed from the online storage too.

But of course you should have multiple backups/harddrives :)

it'd be nice if they provide an option not to delete stuff that's locally deleted.

I cancelled my Amazon prime membership and it's considerably curbed my spending habits

the negative of any prime service is that you become more tied into handing over your hard-earned money to someone else :)

I cancelled my Amazon prime membership and it's considerably curbed my spending habits

the negative of any prime service is that you become more tied into handing over your hard-earned money to someone else :)

i agree that's why I don't like most subscription services. Also reason I haven't got the latest LR.

I suppose could do the similar thing as amazon cloud myself cheaper but I suppose I am paying for the convenience and worldwide coverage/availability.

Note: Prime Photos is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You may not use it in connection with a professional photography business or other commercial service.

Thats a pity

@-markie- @nandbytes
I think that depends upon which client you use to upload.
My synology certainly allows for this:
View attachment 132223
.... and of course the NAS is doing the work, not my laptop, so the syncs are scheduled overnight when no one is using the connection :)

I used the default amazon drive client which doesn't provide such an option :(

Note: Prime Photos is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You may not use it in connection with a professional photography business or other commercial service.

Thats a pity

well depends on how 'non-commercial' use is defined. If I am simply backing up my LR imports and not delivering the results via. amazon its still non-commericial. But I don't think I'd use amazon if I was running a business.

well depends on how 'non-commercial' use is defined. But I don't think I'd use amazon if I was running a business.

Yeah we wouldn't be using as only method of online storage we have a cloud platform elsewhere but as we already have an Amazon prime account would have been handy to use it as a secondary online back up as it wouldn't be costing anything as we pay for prime anyway.

Just used Google drive, if you have any alternatives please tell us.

I didn't know about this and we have Prime.

I actually quite like the video service, and have watched some great TV series and documentaries as well as lesser known films. (Currently on series three of Preacher, but also loved American Gods and Sneaky Pete and recent highlighted films for me included The 100ft journey and Swiss Army Man). As long as you're not fussed on watching the latest stuff and you're prepared to dig about, there's some good stuff.

That said, I've also watched some dreadful ones.

And I do order a lot of CDs from Amazon so the £0 delivery more than pays for the service..

Last edited:
Just used Google drive, if you have any alternatives please tell us.

Google drive would cost me £80 per month as I have over 2TB so I would have to go for the 10TB package!

Do you shoot raw and edit the files? If you do - you will create additional "text" files that accompany each image (basically telling you what changes were made to that image) These are called sidecar files.

15 years as a photographer and it's the first I've ever had of that term, every day is a school day!

Back