Cheapest Cloud Storage ? Onedrive etc

Edit My Images
Yes
Cheapest Cloud Storage ? Onedrive etc

I currently use Microsoft's Onedrive for all my cloudstorage needs, all my important documents, data and photo raws are backed up on there, however my usage is full and I am faced with the desciscion of paying £1.99 a month to upgrade from 15gb to 50gb

This seems farily reasonable to me, but I was wondering what other cloud services people use that they would recommend ?

It's the first time I have used cloud based storage, do they all work the same way as Onedrive where you can save everything into a folder on your computer that automatically backs up when connected to WiFi

I also use onedrive and pay for the additional storage too, it's always been rock solid for me and the price is extremely wallet friendly!

My monthly fee is only 50p though? Although I have one of the original accounts where you used to get 25gig, maybe that's why?

2 quid a month is still very good value, and faced with migrating it all over......

Amazon Cloud is about $59 pa for unlimited storage.

I used to use crash plan for a similar price but changed to Amazon when I was renewing. To upload 3TB to CP took nearly 5 months whereas it took a few weeks on Amazon!! Amazon also have a native app on Synology so it makes backing up very simple as its running constantly on the nas

If you want to stick with One Drive then if you buy office 365 (costs about €65 pa) you also get 1 TB of storage with it as well.

I wouldn't necessarily go with the cheapest option for this, I'd want it with someone who will still be here in the years to come...

Anyway, Google offer lots of free storage, much more than anyone else I think. Google Drive and Google Photos are great.

Another vote for Amazon Prime...........truly unlimited photo storage, I have about 300,000 images backed up there

Just had a look and google drive is $1.99 a month for 100gb , I've downloaded it and it looks good

Last edited:
Amazon Cloud is about $59 pa for unlimited storage.

I used to use crash plan for a similar price but changed to Amazon when I was renewing. To upload 3TB to CP took nearly 5 months whereas it took a few weeks on Amazon!! Amazon also have a native app on Synology so it makes backing up very simple as its running constantly on the nas
Are you using Cloud Sync for this, or is there a better app within Synology?

Cloud Sync.
It was a bit flakey but I updated DSM to whatever the latest version is and it's been working fine since.

Does it only do photos or can you backup drives too?

I'm not sure, I have a few GB of important files and a couple of videos but I don't think you can backup a complete drive without paying extra

Are photographers not worried about the usage policy with Amazon? For clients photos etc?

Why not just use Amazon s3 storage etc?

If you have a Qnap NAS you can get 50Gb of free cloud storage from ElephantDrive.

Are photographers not worried about the usage policy with Amazon? For clients photos etc?

I looked at Amazon earlier last year I think it was about $12 a year if I remember

Reactions: Mp4

I looked for restrictions but couldn't find any.
What have you found?

• Prime membership is only available to end consumers aged 18 years or older using Prime for private use and is not available for Corporate Accounts, legal entities or for customers who purchase items for business or institutional use or for the purpose of resale.

Used Hubic for a week I couldn't get on with it :( wanted to use a backup program - ARQ or Syncback. But it's not supported

• Prime membership is only available to end consumers aged 18 years or older using Prime for private use and is not available for Corporate Accounts, legal entities or for customers who purchase items for business or institutional use or for the purpose of resale.

I asked about this, they are happy for pro togs to use the cloud for backup. What they don't want is someone running a business from it, no selling images and getting the customer to download from the cloud and no renting out cloud space.

Try box.com, they do have free upgrades every now and then. It's an app as well so you can sync to your phone as well.

Nothing there to say a sole trader can't use it for storage.

ETA Like Jim said.

I asked about this, they are happy for pro togs to use the cloud for backup. What they don't want is someone running a business from it, no selling images and getting the customer to download from the cloud and no renting out cloud space.

Hmmmm. And if push came to shove between their published T&Cs and a customer service rep who "sadly may not have interpreted his training correctly".....?

People have been stung like this before ;)

Don't think the issue of clients downloading the From there should be a huge one unless you are expecting to sell hundreds of files as the small effort to personally send them to clients would build that relationship better and lead to a greater chance of future sales

Don't think the issue of clients downloading the From there should be a huge one unless you are expecting to sell hundreds of files as the small effort to personally send them to clients would build that relationship better and lead to a greater chance of future sales

Sorry I wasn't clear, I think they meant using the cloud sharing to download files as per dropbox, we transfer etc

Hmmmm. And if push came to shove between their published T&Cs and a customer service rep who "sadly may not have interpreted his training correctly".....?

People have been stung like this before ;)

I have it in writing,

You may not use the Service to store, transfer or distribute content of or on behalf of third parties, to operate your own file storage application or service, to operate a photography business or other commercial service, or to resell any part of the Service

I only want to dump the images/raw and not give them a link to download via Amazon anyway so this is great.

This is cloud storage, I'd hope that it wouldn't stuff anyone's business if it became available. They're the 3rd copy of my images. I'd have to be very unlucky to have my computer die and my backup stolen on the same day Amazon decided I was abusing their service. :(

Cloud services are great by read terms and conditions of ownership before just uploading what you like. Personally I'll take networked drive at my house and one at my mates. Storage on his and on mine for each other both password protected as admin. If either of us have a fire the can't be lost files will reside there. Can access anywhere in the world too so long as you have the net! Not the cheapest option but certainly the safest.

At the minute I'm quite happy with google , I get free unlimited backup of my JPEGS , which upload automatically .

And for my RAWs , I set my lightroom catalogue to the google drive folder , and I have 100gb for £1.99 a month with google drive (which I can cancel at any time , and it takes payment through paypal)
So they also automatically update , unless of course you choose to pause it if it's slowing your net down.

Overall I'm quite happy with it at the moment

Back