American Football, Tips please

Edit My Images
Yes
I am shooting my first American football game tomorrow, I have plenty of experience shooting rugby, soccer and other field sports but not American football, I have never even seen a game before. My usual setup is a 70-200 on my full frame and 300 F4 on my crop body (480mm equivalent)
I am going to look through game footage on youtube later, and have a quick read of the rules so I have some idea what’s going on.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks that you can share thanks.

Just keep in mind the essay they're at as this alone explains,
depending if they're close to touch down zone, the pressure
on the defensive line.

300 F4 on my crop body (480mm equivalent)
Hmmm… not at all, common mistake.

Expect plenty of sat round doing nothing while they talk... when they do start the action the whole point of the play seems to be to fool the photogrpaher into thinking they have the ball when someone else has it.. takes some getting used to.. dont focus on the start of the play.. see where the ball actually goes to then shoot is my advice.. get more of the ball then :).

First of all, enjoy it... it is a great sport to cover :)

Check which sideline you are allowed to move on (usually the one where the players are not).. and you get to move and follow the action as it goes up and down the field.
Position yourself at different view points in regards to the line-up... sometimes side on, then behind, then ahead of it. This way you can capture the different stages of the play from various angles. Get the QB face on when passing the ball, side on.. or from behind. All very different images..
You can also get some good reaction images during the time when players 'stand about' - the QB usually directs/calls the plays at this time ... so there can be some finger pointing and definitely some lively facial expressions.

Your 300mm should give you nice face on view, once they approach scoring touch down.. as well as some great close-up images of the players visors on their helmet (get a nice reflection from these..)

There are some great examples of images of American Football, by some talented photographers on Instagram, etc.
Have a browse through their feed before the game.

Hope the weather treats you to nice lighting as well... and have a great day covering the game!

The running backs are the excitingly,get pictures of the running with the ball and get some f their sometimes spectacular catches.

As a huge NFL fan I'd say the players to watch would be
Linebackers, wide recievers, quarterbacks running backs and wide receivers. If you get to know the game abit more you should be able to read the play to eee if it's a pass/run as well as if the defence is going to blitz or not

Back