Amie

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
One from a 1 2 1 workshop session with Chris Conway (shadows, gels, creative lighting etc - areas I need help in ;) ...). As always constructive crit appreciated.

The model is the lovely Amie Boulton, someone I've wanted to work with for a while. Chris has been recommended to me by other photographers and I now know why too. :)

Amie_Boulton_D810-4109-Edit by Paul, on Flickr

One from a 1 2 1 workshop session with Chris Conway (shadows, gels, creative lighting etc - areas I need help in ;) ...). As always constructive crit appreciated.

The model is the lovely Amie Boulton, someone I've wanted to work with for a while. Chris has been recommended to me by other photographers and I now know why too. :)

Amie_Boulton_D810-4109-Edit by Paul, on Flickr

Yep, I've had similar training from this pair too. Good, aren't they?

I like this pic, lots of good stuff going on.. but find the angles of both hands a bit odd.

Yep, very good :)

Hands - Odd in which way?

I can see just part of of the fingers on her left hand - all or nothing would be better. It wouldn't matter if she hadn't presented the large area of the back of her hand to the light, thus highlighting it.

Similarly, I can nearly but not quite see the right hand.

But really, this is small stuff - the framing, lighting, expression, processing are all great. Knowing how Amie works I wouldn't necessarily try to refine the pose at the time as there'll be another one along in a second. I just wouldn't have selected this one to process. Probably.

I do not like the hand pose at all a cross between picking her nose. and giving the one finger sign. with an expression that suits it.
However the lighting balance is fine.
I do not think the shadow or vignette is interesting enough to add anything to the composition.

But most likely a useful exercise

I do not like the hand pose at all a cross between picking her nose. and giving the one finger sign. with an expression that suits it.
However the lighting balance is fine.
I do not think the shadow or vignette is interesting enough to add anything to the composition.

But most likely a useful exercise
Thanks Terry.

I can see just part of of the fingers on her left hand - all or nothing would be better. It wouldn't matter if she hadn't presented the large area of the back of her hand to the light, thus highlighting it.

Similarly, I can nearly but not quite see the right hand.

But really, this is small stuff - the framing, lighting, expression, processing are all great. Knowing how Amie works I wouldn't necessarily try to refine the pose at the time as there'll be another one along in a second. I just wouldn't have selected this one to process. Probably.
Thanks Simon, understand what you are saying - I still have loads to work through, in the end I just chose a few almost at random - yep I know ...

50mm on fx
The reason I asked is her hand looks really large in comparison to her face. A wider lens would emphasise this. But maybe she just has big hands! :D

Either way it's a well lit portrait. Not mad on the hand (big or small) but the main thing is you got to learn some new techniques :)

The reason I asked is her hand looks really large in comparison to her face. A wider lens would emphasise this. But maybe she just has big hands! :D

Either way it's a well lit portrait. Not mad on the hand (big or small) but the main thing is you got to learn some new techniques :)
Thanks Ryan, feedback is appreciated. I've looked at other images shot with an 85mm and her hands are in the same proportions so maybe they are large :)

I'd go the other way… I think they do!
Instead of being a boring, flat BG they suggest the use
of directional modifier acting like an oblique spot — like
the Magnum — for more subject/scene wrap. :cool:

Last edited:
I'd go the other way… I think they do!
Instead of being a boring, flat BG they suggest the use
of directional modifier acting like an oblique spot — like
the Magnum — for more subject/scene wrap. :cool:

Boring flat backgrounds are a separate issue. And I tend to not care for them at all. I do not feel that throwing shadows on them helps them much at all.
Though we have perhaps, all tried to do so at one time or another.

Boring flat backgrounds are a separate issue

Indeed they are a separate issue.

As a publishing photographer, I would only use the
wrapping idea when the AD asks for it… since they
are easier to generate in the graphic room than erase.

Back