Amsterdam

Name
keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advise. The girlfriend and I are off to Amsterdam next weekend as I've never been before, and I believe the laws change in January to stop you smoking as a tourist, and this is something I've got to try.

First of all I've been warned off taking my dslr with a couple of lenses and a mini tripod as I've heard there are lots of pick pockets and thieves. Is this true? And is it worse than London? I'm sure there are plenty of opportunists in most city's but is Amsterdam any worse? I've heard, having the camera out in the red light district is a no-no, which is understandable, but from the sound of things, Amsterdam has some amazing architecture, and canals and I think I'd be kicking myself if I left the camera at home.

And secondly, if I do decide to take the camera, does anyone know any good spots? I'm going to have a look on Flickr for some inspiration aswell.

Thanks in advance!!

I believe the laws change in January to stop you smoking as a tourist, and this is something I've got to try.

You do realise that you can smoke in the UK, right? :LOL:

So long as you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. Do not give anything to beggars, regardless of what sob story they give you.

DO NOT LET ANYONE OFFER TO TAKE YOUR PICTURE WITH YOUR CAMERA!!!!!

Same rules for any big town, really. As for spots to go, it's a pretty picturesque town. Depends what kind of images you're looking for really.

It's ages since I've been to be honest, but it was no worse than anywhere else, and better then some. Common sense rules.

Don't take your camera out if you are going to get stoned.

I really enjoyed this but it may have changed.

Also depends if you're willing to travel. Your hotel/hostel may have special deals on trips to local places - I know when we went last it was in the Tulip season, so we hopped on a bus (to my hatred) to Keukenhof - basically a huge garden with all manner of tulips and other flowery type gubbins...

We also got some kind of "pass" in advance, which gives you free/reduced entry to lots of places - but there are quite a few types, so make sure you want to see what they're offering, and make sure you can fit it all in within the time you're there :)

Having lived and worked in Amsterdam for a number of years you'll kick yourself if you don't take your camera as it is one of the most photogenic European cities at any time of the year, just be careful as you would in any city and don't stray too far out of the city limits,plenty of scope for night shots around Dam square and canals.

Thank you all for the comments. I feel a little better taking the camera now. I'm really looking forward to it as everybody says what a great place it is, and what fantastic photo opportunities there are. I may leave the camera in the hotel the first day and get a feel for the place, and an idea of the city layout. You can be sure when I get back i'll have some great pics to post up! Thanks again!! :)

Back