An Odd One

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
I recently started a new work contract and one of my team found out I'm interested in photography.

He has a Nikon D50 and really wants to learn but he has one thing (he feels is) currently holding him back, he cannot close his eyes independently and therefore feels he cannot use the view finder correctly. He has no known physical defects but just cannot do it.

Has anyone on here suffered with that or have any exercises or tips?

I did suggest an eye patch to start with but he said he didn't want to look silly.

Not necessary to close one eye. Perfectly possible to take pics with both eyes open when one is on the viewfinder. Can actually be advantage when you want to be aware of anything moving near the periphery of the frame.

I often keep both eyes open if I've photographing football/rugby type of events that way I can attempt to keep an eye (pardon the pun) on what's just outside the cameras view - not always effective though!

Not necessary to close one eye. Perfectly possible to take pics with both eyes open when one is on the viewfinder. Can actually be advantage when you want to be aware of anything moving near the periphery of the frame.
Agreed.
I always shoot with my non viewfinder eye open.
Shooting motorsport, I need to be aware of what's going on around me other than what I see through the viewfinder.

I also often keep both open for the same reason as above.
Another technique might be to use his left eye to look through the viewfinder, so then the camera body/right hand is blocking his right eye. Also has an advantage when using long lenses, as he could rest his chin on his left shoulder which helps to steady the camera/lens.

I too shoot with both eyes open, something I picked up from a press photograper years ago.

Mike

Cheers for all the replies :) I love this community.

I'll show him this and we can test it. I may even try a few myself.

I just tried a few shots with both eyes open and was surprised how easy it is! I think I'll carry on like this. :D

Ive never been able to wink, but manage just fine. I didnt think it was anything other than normal to shoot with both eyes open!
I shoot with my left eye, though so my right isnt really much use.

:agree:

what he said. I always work like this, just takes a little getting used to

SThornton said:
I recently started a new work contract and one of my team found out I'm interested in photography.

He has a Nikon D50 and really wants to learn but he has one thing (he feels is) currently holding him back, he cannot close his eyes independently and therefore feels he cannot use the view finder correctly. He has no known physical defects but just cannot do it.

Has anyone on here suffered with that or have any exercises or tips?

I did suggest an eye patch to start with but he said he didn't want to look silly.

I guess its how older optical devices were initially used, telescopes, periscopes, where you had to shut one eye to see/focus properly. That practice carried on with the inception of cameras, and people photographed with one eye closed.
most of us from our childhood days imitate adults who shoot the same way.
As mentioned above, most photojournalists keep both eyes open. Ive photographed protests in Asia and Europe and it allows you to also maintain a safe distance from burning tyres and flying objects!

I shoot with both eyes open and use my left eye through the view finder

Looking at some of my shots I think I sometimes shoot with both eyes shut :D

On a serious note, it's easy to get used to shooting with both eyes open.
My wife an I have taken up archery and apparently I'm weird because I can have both eyes open but look through either independently!

Apologies, I have made a grave error, he has a Nikon D60 not a D50 but I don't think his missus will let him upgrade until he starts using the one he has (had for 3 years)! lol

Back