Ana, Cambridge Oct 2013

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a few pictures from a shoot yesterday with Ana in Cambridge.
10589712635_8a08040f17_b.jpg

10589666465_4e74fcc423_b.jpg

10589780076_5de636413b_b.jpg

I like the first, and the third(although I'm not too keen on the cyclist, but it isn't too distracting)....I don't like the tilt of the second though

I like the first, and the third(although I'm not too keen on the cyclist, but it isn't too distracting)....I don't like the tilt of the second though

Tilts certainly aren't for everyone. :D

True.... the image itself is fine, just not the angle...and nor do I like the window encroaching on the left.

I didn't like the window encroaching either (good spot). I didn't like the composition so much when I cropped it so I left as is. I suppose cloning it out would have been the best option but then I'd feel like I cheated.

The 1st really does work as B&W maybe the 2nd one would too ?

The 3rd needs the bright spot on the cyclist removing

H

Last edited:
3 for me, love the hairlight, and i quite like the cyclist in, i dont think it distracts, nice image Ryan

Like 1, love 3 dislike 2. Bike adds to pic on #3 IMHO, but the hilighty bit on the cyclist may be tone it down a smidge.

BTW Ryan, I have noticed a bit of a camel toe in #3.:jaffa: :exit:

Really like the feel of these Ryan.

I would have moved the hand ever so slightly away from the face though and have tried one with her chin tilted down slightly in the first too.

2nd would have been my fave if not for the tilt, but we've already been there above so won't go there again! :LOL:

Loving No's 1 and 3 not keen on the tilt in No2 to be honest, but each to there own,all well exposed and sharp

Les (y)

I quite like #2, but #3 is the pick of the 3 for me.

Many thanks.
3 for me, love the hairlight, and i quite like the cyclist in, i dont think it distracts, nice image Ryan

Cheers, during the session I had Ana posing on a traffic island and various other busy locations. The hustle bustle of the city was intended and the cyclist (with it being cambridge) was very much intended.

Like 1, love 3 dislike 2. Bike adds to pic on #3 IMHO, but the hilighty bit on the cyclist may be tone it down a smidge.

Cheers Nigel. What do you dislike about no.2?
BTW Ryan, I have noticed a bit of a camel toe in #3.:jaffa: :exit:

You're looking too hard! :D

really like the third one, she seems to be a bit uncomfortable in the first two

Strange you should say that. I've worked with Ana several times and don't see any discomfort in these. I find it an especially odd comment for no.2 where she is holding a classic s-shape and has a very powerful expression.

Really like the feel of these Ryan.

I would have moved the hand ever so slightly away from the face though and have tried one with her chin tilted down slightly in the first too.

2nd would have been my fave if not for the tilt, but we've already been there above so won't go there again! :LOL:

Thanks Rob. Good point on no.1.

Loving No's 1 and 3 not keen on the tilt in No2 to be honest, but each to there own,all well exposed and sharp

Les (y)

Cheers Les. It certainly seems the tilted angle of no.2 is unpopular here. Personally I think it works really well and adds an extra dynamic to the picture. But I totally get I'm in the minority :)

I like the tilt on 2 - its subtle enough to not look wonky, and it compliments the pose of the model and I agree, gives the shot a dynamic quality. My favourite is 3 though - I love those tones.

Number 3 for me - the cyclist confirms you shot it in Cambridge. ;)

But seriously, the pose is more natural in that one, there's eye contact and the light on her hair works well. Number 1 would be OK except she looks like she's straining a bit to hold the shape, and eye contact would have helped. IMHO of course.

No 3 all the way - love the lighting!

The cyclist definitely adds to it for me - yes theres a slight distracting highlight but certainly not a deal breaker!

S

Purpleport users will be pleased to know that image no.3 has been included on the front page today (y)

Pretty much agree with the comments so far.
I quite like #1.
#3 is the standout shot for me.
My first thought on seeing #2 was that she looks like she's bursting for a pee.

I think she has much potential to be explored. The pose in the second picture is perfect, however it would be wonderful if combined with the right background. Good job mate..

I like them all but number 3s my fav pic i like the cyclist ellement:)

Lovely set, mate. Some of your best work here with a real fashion feel.

Pretty much agree with the comments so far.
I quite like #1.
#3 is the standout shot for me.
My first thought on seeing #2 was that she looks like she's bursting for a pee.
Lovely set, mate. Some of your best work here with a real fashion feel.

Many thanks guys. Much appreciated.

The third is really nice... but why did you not wait for the cyclist to pass??? :) ...and crop the bollard from the extreme right.

The second has some problems for me. The pose looks awkward.. looks like she's desperate for the loo. That angle doesn't really do anything either, except annoy the viewer... and as others have said, the windows poking into the frame is a bit sloppy. I'm just left wondering what she's doing.... it's confusing.

The first is the strongest IMO... natural pose... nothing looks forced. Can't help but think it needs to be colour. I really dislike one shot in an otherwise colour set being black and white. It's like you're trying to make me think differently about it... but I don't. The first one and third are the only ones with any narrative that makes sense for me... although the third is just a portrait... the first has a story. Actually..... So does the second, but unfortunately, the story is.... She's locked out of her house, and needs to pee :)

First one for me. It's the only one that has any style about it. Beautiful lighting in the third... but the first involves me more because of the narrative connotations.

Last edited:
Loving #1 Ryan. It almost has a Parisian feel to it.

Cheers Peter. That was exactly the look I was aiming for so I'm glad you felt the same way.
All 3 work for me. Just remove the cyclist.

The cyclist was intentional (see response to David…)

The third is really nice... but why did you not wait for the cyclist to pass??? :) ...and crop the bollard from the extreme right.

The second has some problems for me. The pose looks awkward.. looks like she's desperate for the loo. That angle doesn't really do anything either, except annoy the viewer... and as others have said, the windows poking into the frame is a bit sloppy. I'm just left wondering what she's doing.... it's confusing.

The first is the strongest IMO... natural pose... nothing looks forced. Can't help but think it needs to be colour. I really dislike one shot in an otherwise colour set being black and white. It's like you're trying to make me think differently about it... but I don't. The first one and third are the only ones with any narrative that makes sense for me... although the third is just a portrait... the first has a story. Actually..... So does the second, but unfortunately, the story is.... She's locked out of her house, and needs to pee :)

First one for me. It's the only one that has any style about it. Beautiful lighting in the third... but the first involves me more because of the narrative connotations.

Re cyclist - I actually wanted MORE going on behind. My intention was to shoot amongst the hustle & bustle of a busy Cambridge street (but I didn't want cars). Sadly all I kept getting was people walking between me and the model and rubbish going on behind (mainly cars). So the one you see here was the one that worked best for me.

Re pose of the second one - personally I can't believe people think she looks like she needs the loo but each to their own. As I've said before the angle is something you can live with or not. And I agree with the tiny bit of window coming into the frame.

Re first - black and white - these images were not designed to be seen as a set (unlike a wedding for example where they would be seen as a set). They are supposed to be three very different images. Perhaps I should have given each one it's own thread. And I'm glad you like the first one as it's just become a Front Page Image on Purple Port. That's two out of three from these :)

Last edited:
Re cyclist - I actually wanted MORE going on behind.

But you didn't get it... so the cyclist is still annoying.... an empty background would have been stronger.

Sadly all I kept getting was people walking between me and the model

Be thankful they never stopped to ask what you were doing all the time.... that's what normally happens to me :)

Re pose of the second one - personally I can't believe people think she looks like she needs the loo but each to their own. As I've said before the angle is something you can live with or not.

It depends how often you hear this. It MAY just be me.... If I'm the only one who's said it, then feel free to ignore the advice, but to ignore advice when it keeps coming at you is just silly and really defeats the object of getting crit in the first place. So I'll leave that with you. It was the first thing I thought when I viewed the image though.

these images were not designed to be seen as a set (unlike a wedding for example where they would be seen as a set).

You published them as a set.. I commented as a set :)

Perhaps I should have given each one it's own thread.

Exactly. You lump all three shots of the same model in the same locations.... they're gonna be read as a set.

I see no problem with pointing out the pose isn't the best.

Liking the overall composition and dof of No 1. (y)

No2, she seems not at ease with her surroundings! :rolleyes:

Back