Anally Retentive?

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
A mate of mine watched me putting my gear away yesterday and having observed me carefully rotating the lens caps so that the the word 'Canon' was exactly horizontal - declared me to be hopelessly anally retentive. :shock:

C'mon 'fess up - who else does it? :embarasse

I don't but I always notice that whenever I am not checking when putting caps back on lenses, they always go on upside down. Why is that?

Weird! I dunno Steve, we're creatures of habit though and we repetitively do the same things all the while without realising it.

But...NANOC CINOSARTLU! :D

I don't do that, that's just plain weird!

However I do make sure the Nikon logo on the strap is always facing out.

:)

I do have a "system" though were everything has its own place and space in my bag, it drives me crazy if things get out of order. The camera strap is folded in a certain way and slotted into a compartment, I follow the same routine for my wired remote as well.

Maybe its a photographer thing? :D

Steve said:
I do have a "system" though were everything has its own place and space in my bag, it drives me crazy if things get out of order. The camera strap is folded in a certain way and slotted into a compartment, I follow the same routine for my wired remote as well.

Maybe its a photographer thing? :D

You're not getting out of an 'anally retentive' accusation, blaming it on a photographer thing :D..lol
I've seen you in action, hehe

I must say though, when I was new to the SLR, seeing the way you do things like beign anal about changing lenses, has rubbed off, and I do the same. Line the lenses up, loosen the caps, and change them over at the last minute, reducing the chance of dust and crap ingress. After seeing some people at meetups and how they change lenses, I feel quite anal about it now :D

Nevertheless, I like to be of the 'ordered and logical' persuasion myself, quoting the mantra "A place for everything and everything in its place", things lined up neatly etc etc, so my camera bag is pretty much the same.
I do often rotate the lens caps, but only if I'm mindful to. Sometimes I shove it on any which way and put the camera away (which always goes teh same way).
The strap then gets folded gently in the middle and lain ontop of the camera, everything neatly put away before zipping the bag up, and putting the zips in the same place.

So yeah...I'm anally retentive about it, and proud :D

Yep I can own to doing that a little.........although I don't bother with the Canon lens caps...........swapped them for Nikon with the centre pinch.

...no comment! (lines up pencils so the text shows on them...)

CT said:
A mate of mine watched me putting my gear away yesterday and having observed me carefully rotating the lens caps so that the the word 'Canon' was exactly horizontal - declared me to be hopelessly anally retentive. :shock:

C'mon 'fess up - who else does it? :embarasse

Yes, you're a freak. Next?
:D

hmmm, there is some worrying behavior being confessed to in this thread. ;)

No, I don't do that :) I have to have my cd's in alphabetical order though....:embarasse

Hmm I'm no way that bad but I will not leave the windscreen wipers on the car at anything other than parralel when I get out!

Steve said:
I don't but I always notice that whenever I am not checking when putting caps back on lenses, they always go on upside down. Why is that?

Yeah. I was gonna ask that. It's 100% of the time. Always upside down.

I'm quite particular about the way I wind the strap around my hand when I have the camera out. It goes down the side of the camera (inside the palm of my hand), then twice round my wrist, then back down my palm and the rest dangles. And it can't be twisted anywhere along the way. If it's twisted, I have to start again.

I don't put things away when I should. I've never looked to see which way up the lens cap is (or even considered it). I tidy up and organise things up to twice a year.
Oh and I did wash the car once last summer.

I confess i do the quickchange thing on lens back caps when swopping lenses to keep dust at bay :) .

Camera kit is there to be used. I don't abuse it but I don't keep it in a glass case either ;)

I must admit to sometimes ensuring I put the lens cap on 'straight'. :D
But worse than that, I have a 'thing' about always making sure the "Nikon" lettering on the strap is facing IN, so people can't see it....whats that all about?
I keep thinking about getting a new plain neck strap.

oh and PS, I'd also do the same if it was a Canon camera too ;)

RickMezza said:
I must admit to sometimes ensuring I put the lens cap on 'straight'. :D
But worse than that, I have a 'thing' about always making sure the "Nikon" lettering on the strap is facing IN, so people can't see it....whats that all about?
I keep thinking about getting a new plain neck strap.

oh and PS, I'd also do the same if it was a Canon camera too ;)

Buy an op/tech pro strap no need to worry about names then and is more comfy for your neck :)

Yup.

/strokes his green OpTech pro strap.

Right now I've got the camera in the bag, upside down, because that's how it landed. The bags more or less closed but the heavily twisted strap is hanging out. The lenses are in whichever space was free last time they came off the camera.

There's a couple of CF cards on the desk, not sure where the boxes are, because that's where I last used them. I'm not sure where all the lens hoods are, probably in the car. Replacement ink cartridges are carefully spread over the desk top so I'll always have a spare to hand, hopefully it's the right colour.

Graphics tablet is neatly standing beside the monitor, must find the pen though.

Report card says "Could do better"

Steve said:

I reckon because you always pick the lens cap up facing you , grabbing it so word is horizontal & correct way up......the same we would do with a newspaper or any other written text.. You then flip your hand through 180 degrees to place cap on lens.......voila ;)

As for me, I'm similar to Dod......only just checked the missus's Car tyre pressures for 1st time ever....after 17k miles !!!

DJW said:
As for me, I'm similar to Dod......only just checked the missus's Car tyre pressures for 1st time ever....after 17k miles !!!
Ah, that reminds me :doh:

...and putting tins of food in the cupboard all facing the right way :innocent:

minimeeze said:
...and putting tins of food in the cupboard all facing the right way :innocent:

Oh this one is huge for me, yes, gotta have labels all facing the right way!!!!! Also how old they are is accounted for when finding placement in the cupboard. Crazy innit??

DJW said:
I reckon because you always pick the lens cap up facing you , grabbing it so word is horizontal & correct way up......the same we would do with a newspaper or any other written text.. You then flip your hand through 180 degrees to place cap on lens.......voila ;)

Its a good idea but wrong, when I am out I always put the lens cap in my back pocket when I take it off, it can go in front or back facing out and at any of the 360 degrees. When it goes back on the lens I obviously flip it to get it the right way but somehow it always ends up with the writing upside down. :confused-

It's just one of lifes little mysteries I guess :ponders:

I aint saying nuffink coppa!!! :whistle2:

/runs off to mess up the lens cap orientation and crumple the strap up. :D

oooh i love OCD, doing psychiatry at the min. who needs revision, i have thephotographyforums... and yes i like the lettering the right way up too :whistle2:

Joe T said:
Its like putting CDs in their cases with al the writing the right way up! I used to do this, but not anymore.

see now you've activated my nervous tick!

i don't get how anyone can put cd's back in the case the wrong way! I mean, <grandmother edit> you have to go to more <grandmother edit> effort to actually put them in the <grandmother edit> wrong <grandmother edit> way!

I've got so much junk that it pretty much has to go in the bag the right way :whistle2:

I usually try and put the lens caps the right way up, but I stopped worrying about the back and body caps a long time ago. I'd rather keep the crud out than have the name the right way up :thumb:

My CDs aren't in alphabetical order - maybe that's why I can never find what I want to listen to :ponders:

Alan Woodford

I would have contributed to this thread earlier but I only just found my keyboard.

I hate order of any kind.

Chaos is my thing.
I must admit though, like someone else here, if I'm out shooting I do have everything ready and organized....caps loosened and ready etc.

That went against the grain so much I went out and bought a 28-200 walkabout.

Ahh but now you are adding to your lens collection and a comissioned photographer it will all change back again ;)

I'm really not that anal about how i go about changing lenses etc on the camera, you can ask Marcel about that :D But then again, i do manage to get some right old clumps of crap on my sensor :p

lifes to short guys. the time spent putting your lens cap on straight could be the 5 seconds that gets you the shot of your life. I'm all for looking after stuff but only to the point of not deliberately breaking it.

ARGH! I can't stand the clean freaks!

BTW, one of the houses I went into this week to shoot, I was presented with little elasticated bootees to go over my shoes. I have no problem with this as they had very light coloured carpets and a beautiful house. What cracked me up was that both the vendors were wearing them. Over slippers! JAYSUS!

Guilty as charged, y'r hono'r.

I also do all the straps on my bodies exactly as described in the Manual with no flappy ends showing (hate that) and put the lens hoods on so that the part numbers are on the underside.

Photographers: We're all just effin wierdos! Live with it!

Back