Android 2.3 Gingerbread now available

where can you download it from?
and more importantly,
what are the benefts do you think?

where can you download it from?
and more importantly,
what are the benefts do you think?

The download is coming from Vodafone. They sent me a message this afternoon to say it was available.

Benefits? Not too sure yet. The blurb said something about enhancements to multimedia and the way it interacts with the Market. What it means in practice I dunno because so far, ie in the last hour, less than 40% has downloaded :bonk:

Really interested to hear what you think about it once you have it,my work phone is Android but I can't change the OS until the techie says or certain vital things may stop working LOL...

Really interested to hear what you think about it once you have it,my work phone is Android but I can't change the OS until the techie says or certain vital things may stop working LOL...

Think yourself lucky - MY work phone is a Palm Treo .....

I upgraded to the Desire back in July and was quite surprised to find that it came unbranded by Vodafone. I suspect that after they were badly burned by the user backlash against their own overlay (what was it called?) they have retreated completely and just decided to pass the official software upgrades straight on without buggering about with them.

i wont get anything from my service provider as my phone wasnt supplied by them, i think mine downloads direct from HTC. I had 2.2 well before orange released it (have they even released it yet?)

So, after 3 hours of downloading and installing, it's about as exciting as Gordon Brown's sex life.

As far as I can see, nothing at all has changed. Settings show that it's still running 2.2 with Build number and Software number both as 2.33.161.2.

:shrug:

The Vodafone update was just an update to Froyo I thought.

That looks as though it is the case, yes.

Gingerbread isn't available yet is it?

There seems to be considerable confusion about what Gingerbread is or isn't. I've seen both 2.3 and 3.0 described as Gingerbread in recent months, but I've also seen 3.0 described as Honeycomb. Doing a bit more digging this afternoon, there is a rumour that 2.3 is due tomorrow (6 Dec) so getting it today didn't seem inherently unlikely. There are suggestions that 2.3 is indeed a minor upgrade with Honeycomb being the biggie, and also that Honeycomb may follow on fairly quickly from Gingerbread. However, there are also suggestions that Honeycomb may be only for tablets and not for phones.

Confused? Me too.

i love these update names, much better than OS4.2 and stuff like that, much less stuffy!

really ?

names like flippin Snow Leopard...or....digital Rebel XT...gti turbo

gingerbread my arse, names are naff, gimme good old fashioned numbers any day..:D

IOS 4 etc...they're numbers! And...even though I prefer saying 'I'm on Snow leopard" you can still say 10.6.5 is you so wish ;)

update 2.33.161.2.CL284285 from vodafone is not GingerBread !
It is Froyo or one of its updates....
By the looks of things Vodafone will have to change name of Gingerbread update for something else than 2.3 ;p

sorry to bring bad news to you ;p

The update that you have downloaded is 2.2.1 and is not going to be released for all phone, some providers still have not release 2.2 to all phones, it is just has a few bug fixes.

Gingerbread 2.3 was announced on Monday and now everyone is getting giddy about it but it was only the launch of the release to the developers community it is not out for devices yes and probably will not be in a fully working order before the end of this year.

Honeycomb is 3.0 and is mainly aimed at the tablet market and that is going to be next year at least.

Mac

Back