Android DSLR controller apps

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondered if anybody on these forums had tried any of the android (or any other mobile device type) DSLR controller apps that seem to be around now? They can be used wireless or with usb connection apparently and can be set to do things such as bracket exposures at the number of stops you choose and for as many shots as you choose.
I wonder if they could be useful as my own D5000 can only auto bracket for 3 exposures. Link to info about just one of these apps http://www.appbrain.com/app/dslr-remote/de.dslrremote

if anybody has used one I wonder if they could share their experience of it?

I have just bought a tablet with the intention of using it with the "DLSR Controller" app for Andriod. I haven't tried it out yet (waiting for a cable to connect tablet to camera to arrive) and it's a Canon-only app I believe. Not much help to you I'm afraid! I will report back though when I'm up and running, for anyone else who is interested.

As mentioned, I think these only have full functionality with Canon gear, which is why I've ignored them so far... Frankly if it involves cables and faff like that, I'd go with a cheapo timer remote from ebay, last one I bought set me back about £15.

Im all for advances in technology but camera control on mobile devices, in my eyes at least, is just adding another link in the chain, i understand shooting tethered works like a dream in a studio environment and has become part and parcel of that line of work, adding wireless capability to that makes it that much more flexible. However, for this kind of thing applied to portable devices, with the intent on field use just adds another thing to carry, get wet, drop on the floor and set up? Perhaps im missing something but surely the control surfaces onboard cameras are designed for ease of use while using a camera? And without live view streamed directly to the mobile device chosen, i can't imagine what anyone would benefit from anything other than a wireless shutter control?

The point here is that the DSLR controller app DOES give you full live view on your android phone or tablet.
You can change all the settings, set focus points, bracket shots, in short everything and more that you can do with EOS utility but without having to be tethered to a laptop or computer.
You can even shoot video, which you cant do with EOS utility.

So its far more than just a remote viewer, its a fully interactive touch screen interface.

Its an area which has sadly been neglected by camera manufacturers and by apple as it sets the android tablets far ahead of the ipad as far as camera connectivity is concerned.

DSLR controller details here

[YOUTUBE]lnxvFYza6Y4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Looks an interesting app

As Ian points out, live view IS available. I'll be using my tablet for mapping/gps as well when out and about. Much easier than carrying an OS map. I'll have TPE and various other apps that can calculate dof and hyperfocal distances etc. Used in the right way, it'll be a great tool no bigger than a paperback.

But as said, you can set it to bracket exposures as much as you like before starting the exposures, for some people that alone would be useful, without including all the other things you can do with the app. My phone goes with me on every photography trip so it wouldn't be a case of having an extra bit of kit to carry, it does mean extra tools at my disposal though.
Also, the one I had linked to is not for Canon only, it works with nikon too.

Last edited:
Back