Android randomly shutting down

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
[Censored] Fruitcake Bat
Edit My Images
No
It is not a photography question but hopefully someone knowledgeable in the modern tech would be able to suggest a solution.

It is a Motorola and about 2 years old. Any time the battery is below 30% it could shut down at any moment after touching something or starting some app, etc.

It started maybe a few months ago and certainly got far worse after latest OS update.

But sometimes it would still reach as low as 1-2% OK....

So am I looking at new battery somehow (it looks like no longer removable without major work) or is this basically the software doing trick to get me to upgrade?
In which case would custom ROM help me at all?

I have no need to upgrade other than this. I only call, read emails, check a random site and use maps for navigation which is all fine. It should last another year unless it fails.

Last edited:
This is the problem with low end Android phones. You would expect to get a good 2 years lifespan with a high end phone phone but with low end you are always going to run into issues like this. Even with high end Android phones 3 years lifespan is a bit of a stretch.

Been using my original Nexus Android tablet mainly for reading and it still seems to work OK albeit slowly compared to more modern devices.
My main tablet (Galaxy Tab S) is also about three or more years old now and still working fine, so maybe it's just phones that are affected.

Saying that I use a Motorola G5 and that also works well considering its low original cost, maybe you are just unlucky with yours.

This is the problem with low end Android phones. You would expect to get a good 2 years lifespan with a high end phone phone but with low end you are always going to run into issues like this. Even with high end Android phones 3 years lifespan is a bit of a stretch.
Then how come I'm still using a Sony Xperia T Android phone that I bought over 5 years ago? It had to be put in battery care mode about a year ago as the battery was feeling its age, but I still get a good day's use out of it, or two or three days if I'm too busy to use it much, which I seem to recall was about the battery life of a brand new iPhone 5 years ago. :whistle:

When it finally conks out I'll bin it and get a good 'previous year's model' phone at about a third of the price of the latest model. Oh, and if my mates take the rip out of my 'vintage' Xperia T, then I just remind them that James Bond never used the model of phone they have! ;)

Last edited:
How would you go about changing one?
I'm not sure about your Motorola, but i changed the battery in my wife's Samsung s6 the other day, I watched a YouTube video for instructions. It all depends on how confident you are. It's not a particularly technical job.

I'm not sure about your Motorola, but i changed the battery in my wife's Samsung s6 the other day, I watched a YouTube video for instructions. It all depends on how confident you are. It's not a particularly technical job.

did you source genuine from manufacturer or go ebay / aliexpress route?

I suspect the battery is cheese, up to you if buy a new phone or get battery replaced.
any mobile fone shop will do it for a small charge

I used an app called AccuBattery which alerts you at 99% and 100% charge so you can stop and not knacker the battery. Also monitors the health of your battery and has many other features. Worth having a look at.

The phone will stop charging itself once it reaches 100% (except a trickle charge to top up what it loses just by being switched on).

Trickle charging isn't good for Li-Ion batteries apparently.

I used an app called AccuBattery which alerts you at 99% and 100% charge so you can stop and not knacker the battery. Also monitors the health of your battery and has many other features. Worth having a look at.
I used AccuBattery on my Pixel 2 for a while, but had to uninstall it because it was draining my battery too much!

Back