Wales Anglesey / Nth Wales

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

Having been let down on a cottage on Mull :(

I have rented a self catering cottage on Anglesey for a week commencing this coming Saturday (18th July) - looking for unusual area's to photograph and wildlife too

Anyone have any tips as to locations please?

Les :)

That's a shame Les, Anglesey's a lovely spot but can't imagine its as productive as Mull for the wildlife.

The obvious one is South Stack for the Chough, they can be very obliging around the Carpark.

Cemlyn bay is worth a visit for the Sandwich terns, although the young won't be far off fledging, the adults still feed them down on the shore line.

Couple of Spots for Red squirrels, Newborough forest and Plas Newydd House (National Trust)

Also at Newborough beach there's the island with the light house, Ynys Llanddwyn, popular landscape spot, a bit of a hike and check the tides!

Have a good week, if forecast is owt to be believed, its to settle down next week and be warm and sunny (y)

As above if you do go to cemlyn bay go to the left hand end of the beach as it’s far better , might even see you there .. drive Off the island and take a trip round snowdonia , the spinnies N.r is another good spot for kingfishers .. Conway RSPB is now open again ,as is the welsh mountain zoo at colwyn bay . Llandudno pier is open though charging £1 for access , good views from the top of the great orme , while angel bay at the little orme usually is full of seals ..
red squirrels galore on Anglesey ask locals for advice ..the weather is looking good for next week to
if your coming along the A55 pop in for coffee :D

Last edited:
If you're interested in industrial architecture, Porth Wen on the north coast is amazing......I'll leave you to do some research or just go there and be prepared for a surprise......

Eglwys-yn-y-mor Sant Cwyfan near Aberffraw is a fabulous spot for landscapes - a tiny simple church on an "island" inaccessible at high tide.

On the west coast north of Newborough is Malltraeth where Tunnicliffe spent much of his life painting birds. There are some lagoons between the road and the seawall. For the red squirrels at Newborough there are some feeders at a picnic site by the main road in the forestry but from my experience you need to be there early or late.

If you fancy a change of flying activity RAF Valley is normally quite active on week days :). Quite a few view points at all of the runway ends.

These are from the sand dunes near Rhosneigr, there are some adders around there in warm weather too!

42051013305_143a6b5353_b.jpg

28083145107_a3364c799c_b.jpg

GC

Almost forgot nant y pandy in llangefni is the best place on the island for red squirrels as your walking through a V shaped valley an£ when they come in there at Eye level , at llyn padarn underneath snowdon the goosanders will come in for bread ,and you have the lone tree there to .. also not forgetting a visit to portmerion is a must do .
And due to a bumbling idiot running wales and keeping us constrained for longer than England the locals will be only to happy to relieve of your money:cool::cool::cool:

Yesterday all the carparks for Llanddwyn/Niwbwrch beach and forest were still closed - worth checking online before trying to get there.
Yeah I thought I had read that somewhere last week ,the jobsworth in charge of that part of the island thinks you can get covid outdoors , possible result of to much inbreeding :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Thanks all I am overwhelmed by the responses:)

I did have a few places you guys mentioned- I have photographed the Lone Tree a year or two back on a bright yet misty morning, I will endeavour to return next week and do a prober job :LOL:

LZZ9BU9.jpg

- The Miners path was one I have on my list as is the RAF valley site the beaches along the North & east coasts too ( Cemlyn bay ) Red Warf Bay I believe that nant y pandy in llangefni is also know as the Dingle, that's on my list too also South Stacks for Choughs and the Lighthouse of course not forgetting the island off Newborough, Checking tides as we speak :)

Bryn Aber car park ( West of Cemlyn Bay beach ) is a spot I'm heading too- I had some great shot there a year or two back Terns and Oyster Catcher- Sadly I di not own the equipment I now own, so here's hoping for a great week of Photography

Thank again all for the imput

Ps @the black fox

Jeff my route will be M5 to Birmingham- M54 to Telford then join the A5 to Wrexham and onto A55 to Bangor, cross the bridge and up to Llanddaniel Fab and the holiday cottage :)

takes around 5 hours from Taunton

Last edited by a moderator:
If you fancy a change of flying activity RAF Valley is normally quite active on week days :). Quite a few view points at all of the runway ends.

These are from the sand dunes near Rhosneigr, there are some adders around there in warm weather too!

Nice post - until the last sentence "there are some adders around there" !!!

a
42051013305_143a6b5353_b.jpg

28083145107_a3364c799c_b.jpg

GC

Yep that’s the right car park , it’s best there at low tide as opposed to high tide .
and at the dingle you go across the bridge and take the left hand path up the hill for about quarter of a mile there’s 3 feeding spots along there , couple of local guys feed them daily ..
Anyway enjoy I’m in flint about a mile off the A55 btw

I agree with all the recommendations here. However, should you want a bit of a change and have the time why not try somewhere different visit North Stack on the other side of Holyhead Mountain (yes, I know it's only 700ft high). Park and pay at the Mountain Park and follow the path. Or you could take a walk along what the locals call Rocky Coast (used to be my favourite walk as a boy and when we had a dog), sometimes there are seals about and always plenty of gulls of various types. And, if you are lucky you may spot an adder and possibly a lizard or two. There are, or there were, peregrines at the Mountain Park. Its usually very quiet.

If you go to South Stack don't go through Holyhead take the coastal route through Trearddur Bay and Porthdafarch, much more scenic.

Just an idea. I notice you've been before so you may know all this.

Whatever, enjoy your time on the island.

Have a safe journey.

This was taken part way up the path to North Stack.

rocky_coast_pano_s.jpg

Howard

PS I'm quite jealous.

Probably going cemlyn bay on Sunday les ,if you wanna meet up ..?

Probably going cemlyn bay on Sunday les ,if you wanna meet up ..?

That would be ideal Jeff :) I'll PM my mobile number and perhaps we could arrange a time?

Parys mountain, if it hasn't been suggested :)

Edit - Baron hill, which is the ruins of a mansion.

Thank you :)

If you mean the Miner's path up Snowdon, get there VERY early to get a parking spot. If you go to North Stack, look down into Parliament House Cave, where we've seen seals having a punch-up (flipper up?).

Yes I know- I have done the Miners Path 4 or 5 times now, thank you for your input though :) I've not as yet been to North Stack, so I'll give that a go

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice you're receiving here Les - but I don't think the Ravens in Newborough forest have been mentioned yet!

Russ

Good shout Russ- I did the Island off Newborough forest last time I was there- did not see or hear any Ravens though- I'll have another look this time around

Think the access car parking is to newbourough is still shut les ?

Plenty of great info in this thread and I've nothing much to add, except to say enjoy! We went a couple of years ago with the kids and stayed up near South Stack - it was a lovely break with plenty to do for all of us :)

Plenty of great info in this thread and I've nothing much to add, except to say enjoy! We went a couple of years ago with the kids and stayed up near South Stack - it was a lovely break with plenty to do for all of us :)
Thank you Si. 7 days of togging can't think of anything more enjoyable :)

I think some of the anti English are posting stuff on Facebook to deter visitors ?

Not wanting to deter anyone but - worth avoiding Pen y Pass for a while; a large number (several hundred) of cars have been illegally parked today and all have been ticketed. Btw, not necessarily anti-English to hope for responsible parking, social distancing on footpaths, and no litter - in Snowdonia, the Lake District, or Loch Lomond side.

Went over to cemlyn this morning for a couple of hours , missed les . Not as busy as previous years tern wise . Popped in to the dingle on way back but access to the footpaths is still closed off , then again tried for rhos on sea on the way Back To many people . Looks like the entire population of Manchester is on the beach .
Gave up and came home .

Went over to cemlyn this morning for a couple of hours , missed les . Not as busy as previous years tern wise . Popped in to the dingle on way back but access to the footpaths is still closed off , then again tried for rhos on sea on the way Back To many people . Looks like the entire population of Manchester is on the beach .
Gave up and came home .

I had a cracking morning at Cemlyn - You missed me by around 20 mins Jeff, I got there around 6am and left around 9am fella :)

Les

Back